Eternal Lands Official Forums
angel_face

DNS server?

Forgive me if this seems like such a simple problem but I have absolutely no idea what it means. Trying to log into game i get the message that i'm either not connected to the internet (which i am otherwise i couldn't send this message) or that my DNS server is down.

I have been playing the game for months with no probs and have made no changes to my computer setup so do not understand why i should be having this problem all of a sudden. And, as I have no clue what a DNS server is have no way of knowing how to check it. Please advise

computers know each other by a number. a DNS server is used so the name (which we humans use, like www.eternal-lands.com) can be turned into a number, for the computer to talk to.

this error message means that the client either can't connect to the server, or can't find out where it is.

this may be a problem on the internet itself (as has happened more than a few times for EL), which may affect only a few, or many people... or it could be a problem with your ISP or your own computer.

if you can use the internet while you can't play EL, then it's probably an issue on the internet (in which case it'll usually fix itself after a short time)

if you flat-out can't connect anymore, then it's possible that someone else at your place has set up a firewall, your anti-virus or firewall program has taken offence at EL (common with norton), or your ISP may be blocking the port EL uses

Checked out security, i use mcafee, and have no probs there, i'm afraid i'm not technically minded enough to go beyond that. Is it possible that i have a ban that is coming up as a DNS sever down or would it actually give me a reason for ban?

Go into your EL folder and find your ElConfig. Click on it, and in the General tab under Connection, it says host: game.eternal-lands.com. Substitute 62.93.225.47 for game.eternal-lands.com and try to connect again.

You are a star, thank you. Checked my host and for some reason had a capital E at the end of com. Removed that and I'm back in the game. Will keep the number so that if i have any more probs i can try that.

Cheers!