Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WolfWitch

Recurring Server connection problem

Hi Guys,

I suspect this may be an ISP issue but wanted to run it by you Techno Wizards before I call my ISP and shout.

I play EL on 2 machines at home, laptop and main PC....both have played the game fine since I started playing 12 months ago and no recent upgrades to the hardware.

The problem I am having is that some days I just cannot connect to the EL server...I get the "cannot connect to server...press any key to try again or alt-x to close the game" message. Some days it lasts a few hours others I cannot connect the whole day.

I have the most recent graphics card drivers...I have configured the fire wall to trust EL and port 2000 since the strange thing is that I CAN get onto the test server. I have rebooted all equipment, by passed the router and pluged the modem direct to the PC and laptop and I can access other online games. I have made sure I have no virus' adware or spyware on my machines since I figured this may block it and I have even reinstalled the game on the PC in case I had courrpted files somehow (not that I play with them I was just trying to cover all bases).

To be honest I am not sure what else to try....hence the post....any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for you time

WolWitch

Which antivirus do you have?

Norton is known for giving troubles with EL

Oppps sorry should have mentioned that...using eTrust anti virus...never given me issues before and have tried disabling it as well...still no luck :lipssealed:

Wolfy

I believe that its not Norton Anti-Virus (no anti-virus software should give EL probs), but Norton Internet Security, which includes Symantec/Norton's ridiculous exuse for a firewall.

Do you run a software Firewall as well as your eTrust Anti-Virus? or is eTrust also a firewall?

EDIT: Sorry WW, i missed that you said you had configured your firewall, which firewall software do you use? or is it a hardware firewall?

EDIT2: you said "I have configured the fire wall to trust EL and port 2000", did you do that long ago when you first started playing? or did you only do that recently in an attempt to fix these problems?

If ages ago; most application based 2-way software firewall's are just that for outgoing connections; Application Based. So you shouldn't have anything about port 2000 set in any firewall; software or hardware.

If you set the port 2000 setting ages ago, it could infact be whats causing your problem.

Edited by Korrode

Wolfy,

could you compare the trace between your PC and the gameserver while it's working and not working?

Maybe on days when you can't connect, there is an other route to the gameserver, where port 2000 is blocked.

This is only a guess, please do not post any IP addresses here, only compare. And if there is an other route, then this will be your problem.

Also WW, a quick way to determine whether or not it's an intermittent DNS resolution problem; you can add this line to your "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file:

(you will have to manually tell Windows to open the file in notepad, or just open it from within notepad)

62.93.225.47	game.eternal-lands.com

This is under the assumption that your running Windows 2000 or XP, let me know if your not.

It's also under the assumption that the EL server IP never changes, mods/devels let us know if it does.

(If this fixes your problem and if the EL server IP does change but very infrequently, you can just update your hosts file whenever the server IP changes.)

EDIT: Argh, i've been naughty, i always make sure i read posts properly before i post... but obviously not today :lipssealed:

You said you can get into the test server so it's not DNS resolution problem... but it couldn't hurt to try adding that line to your hosts file anyway.

Edited by Korrode

Thanks Korrode but still no luck and its looking like another all day connection problem :w00t:

Sues I will have to let my husband do the trace *looks blank* hes the comp wizard I am just picking things up as I go along :lipssealed:

Hope to see you guys in game soon

Wolfy

Since you can get to the test server on port 2001, but not the game server, that means something is blocking port 2000, such as a firewall or a PC defense product. Check for logs in eTrust to see if it might be blocking anything or if you can tell it to trust game.eternal-lands.com on port 2000.

Norton is not the only product that we have problems with, just the most common one. The problem is that there is a known trojan/backdoor program that uses port 2000 and EL's binary protocol has been known to trigger them.

Hi again all.

OK thanks for all the ideas I tried them all (hubby is on the trace idea to see if the signil is being blocked part way to the server).

The strange thing is, I put everything on my system back the way it was and at 8 pm GMT last night I could connect to the server (had not tried since 5pm). Now the last time I was locked out all day was Friday and I did not attempt to connect in the evening....worked fine ALL weekend...would not work yesterday till evening and is working this am (7.30 am ohhh thank you Daughter Mummy SO loves an early start).

Having by passed the router, firewall and antiviris on both comps effected and talking to Hubby about this we are drawing the conclusion either:

Someone already using EL is doing something dodgy or as learner said some trojan is using the same port, and the routers firewall is blocking me and sending information to the isp to do the same (not very likely).

Maintainance work going on on the ISP side is effecting access to the EL server (this would also explain why its effected some days and not others and why weekends and evenings are not/less effected). I will need hubby to do the trace to proove that one.

I don't really know what to tell you except today I can get in game and none of the usual test (thanks again guys) have solved this. It may be something I have to live with......or I may well be changing isp if this carries on.

It's either that or I have to get a life *shudders* been there, tried that.....no portal rooms I had to WALK!!!

Thanks againg for trying to help me with this.

Wolfy

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this