Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ariel_Engle

Private servers.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make a fully working private server I like to test theorys out before I making a version of somthing and I don't like it when people watching me work I like to keep the idea private untill I work out all the bugs.

Plus it would also be handy for a person that just likes to play by them selfs or with a selective group of friends.

so would there be some way I could get the source code that would let me develop a private eternal lands server.

This would help people that want to make a portable version of this game.

Thanks for any help you give.

Ariel_Engle1

The server isn't, and won't be, open source for good reasons.

I'm actually not sure if that's his question - Maybe he can clarify if he's attempting to buy a license or not?

The server isn't, and won't be, open source for good reasons.

I'm actually not sure if that's his question - Maybe he can clarify if he's attempting to buy a license or not?

If he intended to buy a license, he better dig up a bit of cash and contact Entropy privately.

It should be possible to write your own server atleast just a basic one that maintains connections and has the ability to chat. You need a good knowledge of the protacol, If you have worked on createing a bot useing raw sockets you are halfway there. What you would need to do is take your bot code and reverse the communication so instead of sending packets it would be reciveing packets, processing them and then broadcasting the results, this is ether everyone (such as with chat) or the local actors (for walking etc). If you know what you are doing you could write a basic server that accepts connections and has the ability to walk in a week to a month and that should be enough base to atleast be partially playable.

Why would you want a private server? one reson is to gain a better understanding in the protacol that el uses. If i was going to properly implement a full client haveing a server there is something more useful when debugging. apart from debugging there is not a huge ammount of point, one of the main advantages of el is that it has a lot of players and your own server would not have too many players so it is not likely that you would be able to make something better than the normal server and take everyone.

It is possible to reverse engeneer the protacol and infact it has been done. A former player did infact implement one while working on developing a protacol for another game, it was el compatable which allowed for some testing of the server with the el client, the server has evolved a lot and is no longer compatable and uses its own protacol.

If you really want to know my reason.

I was planing to make a modifiy cleint and knowing the rules I would not be able to legaly play on the offical server this is why I want to develop a private server.

If I played on a private server it would not interfear with everyone else.

besides the reason I need the source code is that in the past when I tried to develop a private server in the past when I tried with a different game I only got an empty world no monsters, npcs, items, only your person walking around with nothing to do.

I am not to great at programing so I would like some help.

okay, why wouldn't the test server do? it's designed for people modifying clients, making bots, testing stuff out, etc...

for one thing, why would u waste time making an illegal client if u cant use it on the main server anyway? ya have fun with your macroing on ur own server :S

second, if u arent very good at programming, then u probably cant modify the client very well anyway?

I agree with atlantis cause if u got an empty world one time y would it be diffrent this time?Did you get more exprince out of that screw up?And come on dude a illegal client thats just stuipid!!!!!!!Like you would spend like 2 months programing then setting the stuff up the secrets and all that crap.So wat i say is get a nice guild going.Then spend some money on a secret place of your own(guild hide out).Also you might want to save up your money.And do use all a favor and spend some money on a new sound track for EL.The original SUCKS!!!Make it were coldplay is on it and all that cool suff.

thank you,thank you

Well, given that practically nothing in this thread is directly related to EL development, and that most of it is speculation, here's a quick rundown of the facts as they apply to the original poster (since he doesn't seem likely to take dns's advice):

* The test server can be used for client/bot development.

* The server source isn't being given away for free.

Since there hasn't been anything else important to the original poster said beyond that, it may be best to find another place to continue this discussion, instead of under Programming.

Edited by crusadingknight