Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jjk

Special assigned channels to ohh lets say Guilds?

I was thinking about something that got suggested like having special assigned channels.

Example Rangers 1000000001 or <-----<<

or like SWORD ====[:::::::::::>

What we need first I think is a command to list all channels. Something like:

lists all channels with players in it and sais how much players are in it (cl for channel list):

#cl

1: newbie channel. 18 players

2: help cannel. 4 players

3: market channel. 1 player

4: general chat. 22 players

8: 7 players

22: 3 players

666: 12 players

10000001: 9 players

And also we could use a command to list all players in a channel. eg (cp for channel players):

#cp 3

market channel. 4 players. Pyderz, MoonShadow, Entropy, sander

#cp 4

general chat. 7 players. bud8005, ex0dia, Xeno2, Hueva, Thalos, Roja, CrusadingKNIGHT

That way it is easier for people to find eachother in the different chat channels. The reason that sooo many people chat on channel 1 is that channel 1 is the place to find people. Almost everybody is on channel 1. It's not a newbie channel anomore but more of a meeting channel. If you look for somebody, you ask on channel 1. With the commands I suggested above you could simply find him yourself and leave channel 1 to the newbies again.

i agree with the post above. if u wanted to buy or sell something, you would be stupid try the market channel, as theres rarely more than like 2 or 3 people on it.

i believe there is a command like the first one u mention ...i just cant remember at the moment. As for multiple chats...just have them different colors to tell the difference, Like ur clans channel is red or something and another some other color..just use whatever hasnt been used yet :)

about market, it would be nice if one had some ingame messageboard for that system so that you could just post a quick request and anyone could check how many is up by something like #ml (marketlist) and then read one with #mr 1 (to read post 1). maybe code in some automatic remove time or something so we dont get a bunch of stale entrys...

then we can just keep moveing people over to general chat after some time.

oh and finding people would not be to hard if entropy could code some ingame buddy list, and i belive that was planned ones...

i know all this can be checked on page and forum but im starting to belive that most people play this game in fullscreen...

Ofcourse. Fullscreen looks better, it is faster (higher FPS) and ingame you get much quicker responses from people than on the forum. The only reason why I do not use fullscreen yet is because I need to refer to the items/creatures description pages sometimes.

by slayton

As for multiple chats...just have them different colors to tell the difference

That wouldn't work. It's good for reading multiple channels, but how would you chat on a channel? You can't send the messages to all the channels you are watching. You'd probabely get some gruesome command like

@1 this goes to channel 1

@243 this goes to channel 243

too complicated IMHO. A better (but more complicated to implement) solution would be a tabbed console. It's much like the console as it is now, but on the bottom you would see multiple tabs (a bit like mIRC). Every time you join a channel, a new tab is added (there would be a maximum ofcourse. 4 or 5 channels at the same time). When you click on a tab, it shows you the chat that has been going on there. If you chat a message (with @) it gets send to the channel you are currently looking at (active channel).

If you are in the game (no console) it would be just like it is now. No multiple channels or anything (too complicated). You just get to see the mesasages of the active channel you were looking at in the console before you closed it.

Fullscreen looks better, it is faster (higher FPS)

Is it? Hmmm...maybe i should try it then. I always play in windowed mode because i tend to do ten other things at the same time.

Tabbed channels may be nice, but it's rather tiresome to follow them all if you have to change tabs all the time...o wait, only in console mode. Sounds good, but also sounds like a lot of work, since you'd have to keep track of all channels separately instead of just printing everything to console as it's done now.

But hey, I have trouble enough keeping up with newbie channel as it is now. :?

most likely you will have one main channel (most likely 4 as we realy start trowing out chatter from 1) and 1 or 2 that you use to talk to friends and sell stuff (alltho the last one could allso be done on the main channel)...

hell, most of the time i cant keep up with whats going in one channel :)

I used a CVS only once in my life, and I am really... umm... scared of it :) I still don't understand what happens if 2 people want to modify the same file, or, even worse, same function...

I already made a suggestion, in the old forum i think, about that...

My suggestion is:

When you use the command #jc (join channel) you enter a new channel, but do not get outo from the one you are. So, messages from both channels will appear in your windows I Think they could be in different color or diferent signs in the begin.

implement the commands:

#mc - master channel, that would define the channel where you want to talk. In other channels you will only be a listener, when you want to talk you need to change the master channel.

I think that is easy to implement, and would be great, becaue, as another player said, nobody trades in the market channels because there is nobody in there. If my suggestion is aplyed, we could be in #4 taliking (master channel) and staty in market channel just listening...

but i dont feel like issuing a #mc 5 or whatever to post a trade notice and followups. if the traffic is bad then the number of #mc i must write may well outweight the number of lines i will write...

thats my followup on that post contained what sander didnt want to see but i see as the only solution (@ will still drop your line in the master channel tho), numberd lines (@1 to put a line in channel 1, @45 to put one in channel 45)...

that and say a [duran,1] change to the visual lines so that you can tell what channel it was made on will make it easy to drop off oneliners on the market channel while still talking on the general conversations channel... (fear the 100000+ channels tho :twisted: )

heh, maybe one could mess with the users head some more and have the #jc take a second number like say #jc 300 5 and every user can have a max of 5-10 channels open at ones. the number used on @ isnt the channel number but the number you set the channel to in the list :P like i said, just to mess with the users head some more :D feel free to disregard...

Hmm... your new solution isn't that bad. (@message going to the master channel). That would do. The reason I disagreed above is becose I am lazy (like a lot of other players) and cannot be bothered to type the channel number every time I want to post. With @message going to the master channel I don't have to type the channel number over and over and over again.

glad to hear...

and if you want to put something into the market channel (if your in there) just write @5 (or whatever that number was) and your message :P

most will on to /"name" to discuss the details i hope...