Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The_Knight

Teh Game isnt working

maybe you should get the full install then... not finding el.ini means you're missing stuff you shouldn't be... usually because someone installed the update without having a proper previous install in the same place

ed: oh, and system specs, etc, as in the pinned topic

Edited by ttlanhil

This is pretty much a new/old computer. New as in Hardly used, no other programs, old as in 2002/2003 I hope

EL will work on it.

I am reinstalling it for the third time

,Knight

Done installing it for the third time and still the same problem, It might have to do with the drivers?

Edited by The_Knight

This is pretty much a new/old computer. New as in Hardly used, no other programs, old as in 2002/2003 I hope

EL will work on it.

I am reinstalling it for the third time

,Knight

No, you should be installing the complete game for the first time now. Forget the update download. Remove all of what you currently have by deleting everything and install the FULL game just as though you have never played EL before.

Delete Everything.

Start > EL > UnInstall

THEN

Delete what remains of the EL Folder, so there is nothing left.

Then re-download & install from here:

Here.

Edited by Liquid

<Link>? Whats the link?

*EdIT* RIght, Nevermind

*Edit 2* If you didnt understand, thats what I have been doing, Full install (From Eternal lands> Download> The Game> Windows Http)

But that hasent been working so I have full uninstalled it also, and repeated those steps 3 times

So... It might be someting wrong with the Windows Http Version, So I would try the Bit Torrent, But I am way too stupid for the Bittorrent

Edited by The_Knight

Also, please post ALL of this information:

Contributed by Freeone:

What we need to know to solve your problem:

What the error is.

Processor Speed (in GHz)

RAM (in MB; 1 GB = 1024 MB)

Graphics Card (model, maker, and video memory [in MB])

Hard drive space (In GB)

Version of Eternal Lands running

Operating System and version

Contents of error_log.txt*

Internet connection speed.

What else you have running other than eternal lands. This includes on the taskbar on Windows.

Exactly when and what you were doing while the error occored.

How do I find out what graphics card I have?

Right click "My Computer", go to "Properties", then click on the "hardware" tab, click on "Device Manager". Then click the "[+]" next to "Display Adapters". There should be only one thing under there, post that here, please.

After that's done:

Wait. Time zones are the curse of us all. If you don't get a reply in a couple of days, then it's safe to say no one will answer it and bump it up one.

How to check internet speed:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

Free. Only useable three times a month, though.

Example:

Yes, it's kinda lengthy. Yes, it's mine. Still a good example, even though it's missing a bit here and there. Example.

*error_log.txt can be found in your Eternal Lands directory. It's at C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\error_log.txt as the default directory on Windows, and /home/username/.elc/error_log.txt on Linux.

To get there, just take off the last error_log.txt and CD to there, then open it. Copy paste here.

Thats is what I have been doing the whole time, I have been full installing it and then>Full un-install, Repeat... three times.

Still always teh same problem

One time, the uninstall failed to work, and if that so happens please find the file (if you use Windows) C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands delete this whole folder, download a new start, if this STILL don't work, there is 2 possible reasons I can come up with that happend to me.

1. A map file got deleted and it's causing the game to crash

2. Out of date graphics drivers can cause it to crash also, as your graphics company has new ones for you to use..

If any of this still don't work, I don't know then.. it could be a bad configuration..

Aislinn, let me try to find out what I am running on here, It might take a little time so once I find out what the system specs are I will post them, But any Idea where to find them. Well this will take some time.

,Knight

What I am guessing here why EL isnt working is:

This is a very Smeggy Computorius or

The Graphics drivers are out of date, Which I thought might be the case in the first place.

So now for the system specs...

Here are my system specs...

1.8 GHz

512 Ram

Km266 graphics with 32mb shared video memory, 32mb Graphics card (Thats crap)

Internet connection speed: 100Mbps?

What I got running on windows: Eternal lands and AOL highspeed internet

Tell me how to fix the Graphics card thing (Please), that has to be it, cause the other specs are pretty much standard

HD=80GB

Version 1.30 EL or Latest

Windows XP, no clue what version

Error log:

[14:19:11] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[14:19:11] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates130/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[14:19:11] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

Other internet specs: 2.6 megabits per second

Communications 2.6 megabits per second

Storage 317.5 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 3.2 seconds

Subjective rating Great

Explain results

Info

Date & time Sunday, July 23, 3:07PM*

Test type IDT4 Free

Connection type Cable

Data size 1024KB

Edited by The_Knight

okay, now that the el.ini thing is out of the way, on to diagnosing the rest of the problem.

please try out the client I posted here, as it sounds like your crash is one of the things worked around in that client.

please remember to get the other files you need to run my clients... if you're not sure about that, click the link in my siggy, and use my installer to get them for you

There is a problem with that download...

I try to run it and there is an error

*Edut*

Drr... Not supposed to run it I see

Ok... I saved all the files in Eternal lands folder but still the same problem

THanks for all the help but:

I GIVE UP!

Edited by The_Knight

err, yeah, download to EL dir, and then run that one, not the link in start menu, etc (that's still the official client)

open up explorer (Win+E) and go there (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\) then run the one I made (elc_ttlanhil_workaround.exe)

Your graphics card may be causing the game to crash

How many times have I said that the problem IS the graphics card, and it is crashing the game

Thx ttlanhil, I will try it

,Kniggit

TTLANHIL IS TEH FRICKING PR0!

Thx ttlan it worked!

I wish I was pr0 like ttlan'

,K-Niggit

that means it's most likely the screencapture used before the map loading then

it's really only a problem for a few computers... I wonder if a config option is warranted

Ttlan is it normal for the mainloading screen to appear when entering/exiting locations?
with that client, yes, that's the fix
And whats up with this?
ooOOooh. textures missing. does this happen often? changing maps fix it? happen on connect or later? etc

It happens when another window pops up infront of EL and then to get it back to normal I have to restart EL
myeh, that's nasty... okay, does changing maps work, have you tried that before?

other than that, all I can suggest is to replace the video card, or simply avoid other windows popping up (having less running should also make the game a bit quicker)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this