Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HavingFun

Traps

Ok I'm not sure if this idea has already been implemented in the game or someone already suggested it, so I'll say it anyways. My idea is that in the game there should be "traps" in certain areas. For example say you just found a cave somewhere and your walking through it. Suddenly the floor falls out from beneath and you land on spikes or in a pit of snakes (or any other type of creature). There could be different types of traps for different places. I mentioned this idea, because I think it would add more excitement to the game. So tell me what you think. :D

Edited by HavingFun

i like it but its a little risky i mean u could be heading for to train in full plate and bang your dead there should be signs like greener grass and a player should be able to set a trap for animals for hunting

but other than that i love this idea

That would be a good idea. There could be slight changes in a map that you would only notice it your were paying attention. So if you didn't "bang your dead" lol.

Edited by HavingFun

There are already some traps like in cave in bethel, 50dmg every step or someth like that.

Near lava.

Edited by NitageR

Thats not really a trap. That is just a condition. My guess is that it is just caused by the heat from the lava. And like I said previously there might already be traps that I don't know about.

ok first : nitager what is up with the picture that weird ;)

and second the lava is just a heat thing

1. I think nitager's picture is from the ring (I may be wrong)

2. I thought so :D

As said, an area of a map can be set to inflict damage when you walk on it. Whether this is from heat (lava) or spikes is up to the description and environment (the map design).

Please have a look at the map editor and what can be done with the '.def' files before getting snotty with dictionary definitions.

Take one height map square (0.5m^2), lower it 0.2m below the floor level to form a pit. Any deeper and characters cannot walk into it, and would autoroute around it.

Leave the floor tiles at the same level as the rest of the floor; use an appropriate 2D piece to represent the trap covering, a rug or some leaves.

When a character walks into the 'trap' they appear to drop a bit. Shame we can't make them go deeper -- not without teleporting them somewhere else, which is an option of course.

Use the map definitions file to define the area as giving damage, and to display a text message "you fell into a hidden pit of spikes!" or similar.

Since we are limited in how we can animate the map (just particles at present), this is the best that can be done, and gives the desired effect.

I'll caveat the above: I'm am not a map maker, but have had recent cause to investigate what can be done (for a future project). So there may be errors in the detail.

Edited by trollson

That is just that, an idea. And its an interesting one. Maybe if the maps change in the future it could be included. ;)

its cool and mabey u could also set pk traps for ppl (other than the bag thing where u drop a bag with 1 bone and say its a serp) u could make it so as soon as the enter thget hurt (and make a traping lvl to make how much damage it dose)

I think Entropy started to work in something like mines, a long time ago. Lets say, some player can set up a mine and if a monster get nearby he get catched and take damage or get paralized, etc. The same is true for players in pk maps.

But i dunno how are going that development.

i like the idea of traps it would be a good addition to the game make ppl a bit more careful but i think they should only be in pk maps otherwise some n00bs might get cought and a whole lot of hell could happen then...

Bear