Eternal Lands Official Forums
Orick

Stupidity at its finest

in most cases you shouldn't 'make' a livecd, you'd just download the image (picture of what goes on a CD. also known as an ISO9660 or iso file) and then use some CD burner to make a disc with that on it (as the CD, not as a file on it, a mistake occasionally made)

That is, supposing that no system file was harmed, and that all the correct tools are installed, wich might not be always true, overall in systems using reiserfs and other non-native fs's (for me, native is ext2/3) :D

you might find this funny, but my comp is not working again :sneaky:. it wonk boot up corectly. i dont have the comp now i am babysiting my grand dads house. and useing my dads work comp and will not be at the house for the rest of the week

Ok so you did not find that funny. nither did I

this is what it says on the bootup

everything is ok untill

*checking root file system...

/ contains a file system with errors, check forced.

/:

Inode 2687329has imagic flag set.

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

(i.e., without -a or -p options)

[Fail]

*fsak failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note

*that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To

*remount it read-write:

* # mount -n -o remount,rw/

*CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and reboot the system.

give root passwprd fpr maintenance

(or type Control-D to continue):

note: "[fail]" and all "*" after fail are in red.

i know not what that means nor how to fix it.

Thats the climax of

... when your power went down on a sudden, some files might have been corrupted or something (in this case the game files, if you had the game on when that happened).

And the solution is still

You need to boot from a live cd, you need to know which is the partition where /home resides, (it must be something like /dev/hda1 or anything similar). And you need this partition not to be mounted (otherwise you could seriously harm the data into it). That is why I advice you to run fsck from a livecd, or a boot floppy if you dont know how to handle this well.

BTW, in that same post i warned you that

This is the first thing to do, since a defective fs will break your files again, sooner or later.

So, no more comments needed. You will need to learn how to boot from a livecd and use fsck.

EDIT: At this stage, it is unavoidable that some of your files might break. The thing does not necesarily have to be critical, it will surely affect the files that have been used during and after the failure. So, be warned that you will lose some data, almost for sure (anyway, it is indeed lost at this stage).

Edited by m_bee

Any linux cd will bring fsck on it. fsck is just a linux command. You can use any bootable livecd, for example knoppix. Once you boot and you get to the command line you can use fsck.

It basic sintax is "fsck /dev/hdxy", where x is your drive (hda for the primary master, hdb for the primary slave, hdc for the seconday master, hdd for the secondary slave, sda for the first scsi drive.... you get the idea).

And y is the partition number, so, hda1 is the first primary partition in the drive, and hda4 is the fourth -and last- primary partition in that same drive. From hda5 you have the logical partitions.

If you dont know about the layout of your harddisk, you should really visit the forums and read the documentation for your distro and understand this, prior to any fsck opperation. If you dont know a shit about linux, and linux is the only os in your harddrive, it is very likely that your root partition is /dev/hda1, but dont trust this words. You should learn how your hd is formated before doing anything.

In the error you posted in the other thread does not appear the drive that linux is checking, though the error should tell you about it, so, look carefully. Then boot from any live cd, it does not matter knoppix or any other, and run fsck from command line.

The download you are looking for is a live cd. It does not matter wich distro you choose for this task. If you like knoppix, go to http://www.knoppix.org/ click downloads, and choose one from the list. Download it, burn it to a cd. The knowppix distro runs in X by default, so you should go into Xorg when the boot is complete, run konsole or whatever terminal program on it, and from there, you can run fsck.

Here is the shortest, step-by-step guide:

1) Start console window (konsole, vte, gnome-terminal, xterm, rxvt or whichever GUI terminal emulator you have.

2) In console window created in #1 type: cd && wget http://www.other-life.com/el/el_120_linux_full.zip && mkdir ~/opt/el && cd ~/opt/el && unzip ~/el_120_linux_full.zip (Just copy what is bolded and paste into the shell, and press ENTER)

3) After #2 you already have EL installed. Whenever you want to run EL,go into the shell (#1) and type: ~/opt/el/el.x86.linux.bin

Ok so you did not find that funny. nither did I

this is what it says on the bootup

everything is ok untill

*checking root file system...

/ contains a file system with errors, check forced.

/:

Inode 2687329has imagic flag set.

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

(i.e., without -a or -p options)

[Fail]

*fsak failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please note

*that the root file system is currently mounted read-only. To

*remount it read-write:

* # mount -n -o remount,rw/

*CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and reboot the system.

give root passwprd fpr maintenance

(or type Control-D to continue):

note: "[fail]" and all "*" after fail are in red.

i know not what that means nor how to fix it.

Errmm, Dejan, did you forget to read this quote?

Further use (install, copy, move, unzip, whatever) on this filesystem, will only break things even more. That, supposing that he can boot on that filesystem (which is not likely). Please, first, fix problems, then, the rest.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.