Eternal Lands Official Forums
vampireLOREN

Thanx Ent&Roja

I'm not gonna be so base as to say the original announcement didn't shock me a slight bit... kinda learned over the years that if there is a day where even the most trustable are untrustworthy, it's April 1st. Now c'mon, if you really wanna make an April Fool out of someone, choose a less expected day, like August 23rd or something (yeah, part of my point is it not being in April).

Anyway, I thought the announcement was real, at first glance... then I got to thinking:

A.) Today is April 1.

B.) Who the heck is the FSF? Maybe I'm a little limited in my knowledge, but certainly I might have heard something like this before...

C.) $250,000 and 4,000 shares + "FREE Software Foundation" = sheer lunacy, as I see it.

D.) No Windows compatiility support, but you still could compile if you chose to - in a game of numbers of players, this sounds like suicide to me.

E.) I could have sworn I'd heard of a similar deal being rejected before...

B. Who is the FSF? They're the FSF. Their licenses, the GPL, LGPL, and FDL, is possibly the most widely-used single software licenses in existence.

D. It's not suicide; to quote the FSF, it's up to the maintainers whether or not they want to support legacy software.

Actually, what should have given it away was the low price ($250k... not that much at all), and the fact that the Planeshift client and server are already GPL'd, so all they would need would be art and models. The shares in a non-profit, as you and radu mentioned, were another clue, and also the fact that selling software or services is not against the ideals of the FSF (they just don't like closed source). Finally, the really big give away:

We hope you will enjoy this aquisition, and hopefully, in the near future, all of the MMOs will be Open Source software.

Rofl, better luck next year radu. :icon13:

Edited by crusadingknight

ROFL. i wish i was online yesterday xD

I wonder how many people said they were going to quit and who did quit

ROFL. i wish i was online yesterday xD

I wonder how many people said they were going to quit and who did quit

I would have quit if i had to compile the client every other update (not that thats a lot XD) and I think most of the users are actually windows... so that would cost a lot of players... so was still doubting about it being true:P

B. Who is the FSF? They're the FSF. Their licenses, the GPL, LGPL, and FDL, is possibly the most widely-used single software licenses in existence.

D. It's not suicide; to quote the FSF, it's up to the maintainers whether or not they want to support legacy software.

B. Yeah - I move in limited circles, so to speak... as I had no clue, I was suspicious.

D. We'll probably agree to disagree, likely. Just seems to me that if you are looking for just a sheer number of computer users to make your statement, you don't want to alienate the significant majority of users by not supporting that operating system. Then again, if your goal was more specific, it would make more sense.

you don't want to alienate the significant majority of users by not supporting that operating system.

Who said anything about us devs not supporting the operating system. All that was said was no "official" windows client would be provided. That doesn't meant that the devs (and anyone else) couldn't compile the client from CVS and provide it for all the windows users.

I think this just about sums it up...

I had no clue

:mace::whistle:

The game itself not providing an official client for an operating system could be taken as not officially supporting an operating system - whether developers release their own Windows versions or not isn't really an affect on this. I mean, we currently have "official"versions of Linux and Windows clients - while there is a working Mac client, is it considered "officially supported"?

And while we are taking things out of context:

I

couldn't

think

(just a little good-natured poking of fun - ty for the laugh at myself. :whistle:)

The game itself not providing an official client for an operating system could be taken as not officially supporting an operating system - whether developers release their own Windows versions or not isn't really an affect on this. I mean, we currently have "official"versions of Linux and Windows clients - while there is a working Mac client, is it considered "officially supported"?

Well the Mac client is part of the offical code, you just compile it with a different flag. The actual development at this stage is done by seperate devs to that of the server (except Learner does some patches to the client).

The only thing that makes the client "official" is that Ent approves what goes into it, and it is provided on the main website for download. Therefore... as long as the code specific to Windows (and any other OS) is maintained, and provides the same functionality as that of the Linux development, it would be an allowed client, just not official as its not provided officially.

And while we are taking things out of context:

<snip>

(just a little good-natured poking of fun - ty for the laugh at myself. :whistle:)

Hehehe, nice one dude!

Thanks for the laugh back. :-)