Eternal Lands Official Forums
m_bee

More compact inventory

Quick thing:

876593.jpg

Is this an average aproximation? I know it looks bad, I just want to make sure this is the idea before making a definitive version. But I will face here a problem, this is 1600x1200, in lower resolutions the numbers will not fit there, and we also have the problem of the translation here. In english the text fits moreless with some tweakign, in spanish it will not fit. Thins to be adressed if we really like to have a nice inventory window.

Thanks for your time :)

The drop all button really is a problem as it simply doesn't fit.

Maybe you need to remove one of the quantities?

Yes that's what I mean mbee, and just remove one of the quantities if you need to.
eep. please don't. from time to time I think about having more... I use and change them a lot more often that the drop-all is used

Ok, as I promised in my post above, I will take one more spare day, I suggest you to do the same and decide something in the while. If I do not get any other answer, I will proceed as Roja said, and just remove one of the quantity boxes.

Anyway, as I said, my opinion is the same that seems to be the general public opinion (and where this patch started): rip off that damn button :) But I want this into the main release so I will just obey anything that Roja or Entropy tell me. If you want a drop_all button, it will be there, but, as many people said not just here, but also in the other huge thread about this button, it brokes the inv layout, and it is even less used than the moveable quickbar feature (*grins for someone to talk about ripping that off too lol*). And yes, ttlanhil is right -he always is :D -, I would also like more quantity boxes, in fact, I would like a better system in this regard, but I myself can't think of anything better, so I will just shut up. However, I have another idea (thing of this too in the while, tomorrow I will start coding this or anything else you wish).

The new idea is this (yes, the thing will be bigger, but there would be more quantity boxes, still, I would like better to rip than button off...), time to load my ASCIIgl art *lol*:

/-------------------------------------------\  /----------\
| quantity | quantity | quantity | quantity |  | Drop	 |
|-------------------------------------------|  |		  |
| quantity | quantity | quantity | quantity |  |	All   |
\-------------------------------------------/  \----------/

That button would be similar to the Get All button in the bags.c window. There you are, just tell me what is the way you like it better.

Well, mates, let's relax and take a decission here. And I will just obey. I just want to give this another day, just in case someone changes mind. In the while, I will be cleaning the patch, and checking out the latest cvs, so I will make sure that the patch still applies cleanly and does not break anything in the newest stuff in the CVS.

Thanks all for the responses. The interface part is becoming clear step by step. No I will need some days to code the autoresize part, so the aspect will be the same in all the resolutions. This will be the worse part, since it is mostly internal stuff, wich is always boring unless it is ASM. lol

Hmmm, it takes more space, but I think a double row of quantities is the best solution.

Just a thought, (ducks), leave space for a "Store All" button if storage is available. I thought about writing a patch to do this a while ago but never got around to it.

Roja, my only problem with that is that I want every single translation to fit into, if that can't be adressed, we must find another way. If I wanted a crappy button that does not fit well with the text it has into, I would indeed use the current inventory, wich looks bad enough when the text is translated to spanish.

Im not going to submit a patch that looks crappy in all the languages, other than english. Maybe we should start looking into another possibilities.

One of them is to put any graphic into that square (dont look at me *lol*) and show the complete text when you hover the rectangle, what about that? Any kind of arrow to the bottom would work I think, and when you hover the button, the whole text "Drop All", "soltar todo" or whatever (depending on the language you are using) is shown in the transparent flying tip. What do you think?

Well first off it's going to be very difficult in some circumstances(with some languages), to have the full text be there. I think you're shooting for too much with that.

The game needs to be made specifically for English, meaning all the English words that we want need to fit properly. The reason being is that if there is a universal language of the world, currently that would be English. All the other languages are secondary-and please don't think i'm downplaying them, I love learning other languages :)

So with that in mind, if the words don't fit, just make as much show that is possible, and then when you mouse over the button for the full text to shop up like you described. I'd rather not make graphics as they can be hard to make for some representations and can be confusing too.

Ok, that is fair enough, I will make it that way, and add a tip for the whole thing to be displayed when the button is hovered. Thanks for the input. I just did not want to make is so that the text goes out of the button.

I will start coding this tomorrow :)

Just a quick snippet. This is 640x480 in my monitor, yeah, it seems a gameboy :)

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=16075m1TQm&i=877197

Everything seems ok in this, the lower, resolution, so, the rest of resolutions should be ok as well (I know 1600x1200 and 1024x768 are for sure, since I tried them also).

Now there are 5 quantity boxes. And the numbers are abreviated, so, only 4 digist are shown (counting the point as one digit and the K as another). The whole number is dislplayed as a tip, like the translation of the button.

And this is bigger, in my 1600 display: 877201.jpg

I hope you all like it, moreless ;)

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=16075m1TQm&i=877258

All is fine so far, and the code works, the only issues I find are with the readability of the fonts and the size (wich even abreviated, does not fit in the lower resolutions, anyway, that problem was there before, is not introduced by my patch). It is less problem now because at least you can hover the elements to see the quantity clearer). I have a proposal, it is something that I saw somewhere and i cant remember the exact place: count the things up to a limit, and from there and avobe, put an arbitrary sign, for example "oo" (some kind of sign like the one used in maths to write the infinitum). If we do that for all the numbers above 99, we will have an inventory, trade, .... window that are going to display fine under all the circunstances. The complete number would still display when hovering the cell. What do you think?

I'd say 4 characters in a box should be able to fit.

(Or are you talking about exception for smallest resolution?)

Also, please make it so that it only abbreviates the numbers when it's really needed.

(Four-digit numbers don't need to be abbreviated.)

Nice patch! :P

I have a proposal, it is something that I saw somewhere and i cant remember the exact place: count the things up to a limit, and from there and avobe, put an arbitrary sign, for example "oo" (some kind of sign like the one used in maths to write the infinitum). Ink?

My proposal would be instead of "oo" (Infinity) would be to put in "..." indicating that there is more, but not having any notion of quanity.

I'd say 4 characters in a box should be able to fit.

(Or are you talking about exception for smallest resolution?)

Also, please make it so that it only abbreviates the numbers when it's really needed.

Nice patch! :icon13:

4 digits fits in a 33 pix cell size (though the numbers might even overlap the cell border...it is just maths 8x4+3=35, the cells are in the best case, so, no, they do not fit), they do not in smaller sizes, that is why I am asking about making anything greater than 999 an alternative representation, I propose this one now:

1 to 999, no abreviation

the rest, 1k to 99k, that should fit ok in all the resolutions, for 100k I could use something else... dont know what

Another thing, right now the default is this thing (not a big deal even if you are not a programmer):

int get_grid_size() {
if(video_mode<=4) {
	return 22;
}
else {
	return 33; //(int)window_width/48.48;
}
}

If video mode is above 800x600, 22 is used as cell size, else, 33 is used, you can see that the previous formula is commented out, since my testers think that 33 is fine for all those resolutions (I will still put a widget to configure the scaling factor, but that will come later).

Roja, do you think this is fine?

Edited by m_bee

I'm referring to your last screenshot here; I see 1.0k while 1043 takes the same amount of space.

So quantities up to 9999 don't need to be abbreviated (for resolutions > 800x600).

Edited by Mar(c)

Oh, sorry, that is ok, but it is a minor adjustment. What worries me are the quantities in the inventory cells, those are the ones that I was referring to when talking about problems in the smaller sizes :icon13:

The quantity blue cells are not a problem, I will do that that you said, it is clearer indeed, still looking for a solution for the inv cells, 33 pix cells are way to big for a 640 display, or even 800x600 :icon13:

Roja , I have compiled a windows cliente with this patch, if you want to review its current state (still there is work to be done in some windows, but bags and inv are finished except for the numbers issues).

Also, if you open the options window, misc tab, you will find an scale option, 1 is normal, the possible values are between .66 and 2, so, if you want bigger or smaller cells, you can change the size here. The default sizes of the cells, are 22 pix for 800x600 and below, and 33 pix for the rest of resolutions. The scale factor is multiplied for these numbers to get the final size of the cells in every resolution.

Should I pm you with a link to this precompiled client, or should I post it here?

EDIT: Typos

Edited by m_bee

http://www.savefile.com/files/4219282

I hope you like it. If all is fine, I will patch the manufacture, trade, storage and spells windows as well.

EDIT:

Bug solved: mouse icon not changing when hovering the equipment cells has been solved. Still present in that binary file though. Don¡t report it.

Edited by m_bee

http://jesgue.freehostia.com/client_updates.html

EDIT: The windows now do not show anymore when adjusting the scale factor, unless they were -in fact- opened before. Im working atm in another bug. This is almost perfect yet, but I will delay the compilation of another client for windows til I have done the trade, spells and maybe storage windows too.

EDIT2: Another bug sorted out, before, if you changed from 800x600 or 640x480 to anything above, the widgets in the windows would resize accordingly, but the windows would not. Now, they do.

Since I change a lot of stuff and cleaned some bugs, i will upload another client. I will post again when it is up. so, if someone is looking at this, wait some minutes, please.

And thanks for all the patience.

UPDATED

http://jesgue.freehostia.com/client_updates.html

Same place, do not report bugs or anything unless you see them in this new release, so, if you already downloaded the stuff, download it again :P

EDIT again: And updated again, same link. Now the scaling factor is reused when entering the client. So, if you changed it, it will autoload when you enter the client again, that is, supposing that you have the save el.ini file option active, of course.

Edited by m_bee