Eternal Lands Official Forums
Drakos7

Signedness warnings (linux, gcc 4)

Compiling the client (fresh cvs) on gentoo linux using gcc 4.02. I get a ton of "differ in signedness" messages.

Example:

text.c: In function 'write_to_log':
text.c:117: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strftime' differ in signedness
text.c:118: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'snprintf' differ in signedness
text.c:120: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in signedness
text.c:122: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in signedness

Anyone else using gcc 4+ and seeing this? I thought Uint meant unsigned integer...

This was posted a long time ago in the bugs forum

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...ndpost&p=171026

Edited by Drakos7

if I compile under MSVC with warning level 3 or 4 I get a few thousand warnings of signed-ness or whatever else

in most cases, it's pretty harmless though, so I don't worry about it much. if you want to, you could try fixing the warnings and submitting a patch

i started the process, but UGH! Certainly a lot of digging around in the code to find what everything is passing around.

Anyone else using gcc 4+ and seeing this? I thought Uint meant unsigned integer...

It does.

Don't use gcc 4 if you don't like warnings.

Edited by Vegar