Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

Clean install of main client (not ttlanhil's posted extras client).

Log started at 2006-02-25 22:49:30

Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com
Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

Similar error every time I log into game. Seems to get to the "Loading actor definitions" and hangs there for a long while.

Not the first time I reported this type of problem but can't seem to find with the search feature and don't remember it ever been fully fixed.

Added the commands.lst file (thank you).

Error log is now:

Log started at 2006-02-26 06:54:06

Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

I do have the files.lst file (appears to be about 8 md5 checksum sets). Still takes about 90 seconds.

More info: Windows XP SP 2 system with a GForce FX 5500 AGP 8x Dual Video Card (updated drivers last night just to be sure).

I have also monitored CPU usage during the 90 second wait. When I hit "loading actor definitions" it spikes and stays at 100% until it reaches the login boxes (the majority of the 90 second wait).

Error log is now:

Log started at 2006-02-26 06:54:06

I do have the files.lst file (appears to be about 8 md5 checksum sets). Still takes about 90 seconds.

that's right.

it's supposed to get that file every startup, then compares those MD5's against the files it already has.

if they differ, it downloads them again

initial auto-update stuff

Ok, that makes sense. But are you suggesting that that is the reason for the extremely long load times?

Ok, that makes sense. But are you suggesting that that is the reason for the extremely long load times?

nope, it'd be unlikely to be related. the update stuff happens in a seperate thread (it can, however, be the cause of client restarts shortly after the game has started. automatic restart when files change)

No, that download is done in a seperate thread. The lag is because all of the actor model are being loaded and being prepared for cal3d usage.

So... my computer just sucks and is getting choked during to loading?

I'm running a 2.13GHz w/ 512MB Ram with a video card with 128MB. Doesn't seem bad... any suggestions on what would work to clean up this 2-year-old rust bucket?

So... my computer just sucks and is getting choked during to loading?

I'm running a 2.13GHz w/ 512MB Ram with a video card with 128MB. Doesn't seem bad... any suggestions on what would work to clean up this 2-year-old rust bucket?

What is needed is not loading the actual meshes and animations for the models until they are need. That would greatly reduce the lag there since every single model related to animals, monsters, players, weapons, and shields is being loaded at that time. Otherwise, this is going to get worse as more keeps getting added.

But that is a client modification.

Ok, I'll just trudge along - thanks for the answers.