Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Need an EL review

Ok, it seems that Kl4Uz was the lucky winner picked by MMOsites team.

Btw, you have two days to run that thing through a spellchecker, or else someone's else review will be used.

Wow, that's great. I'll fix all the errors as soon as possible :blink:

Ran it through spell check, fixed some grammar and misc errors.

Eternal Lands Review

by kl4Uz

"Greetings Milady!†the tall human knight, with shiny armor and a flaming sword shouts at me just before he heads over to the lowlands of the Kilaran Fields where a deadly battle between good and evil is going on. I watch the brave warrior until he disappears behind the mountains of the Valley of the Dwarves. Just when I turn my head towards the Nordflaq River I see some young elves hunting down wild boars in dark woods across the river. Wait, didn't I tell Nightqueen I'd meet her at the gates of Portland City by dawn to trade her the silver bars I had been working on all day? Well I would have to be fast, so I would still be able to join some warriors of my guild to fight the beast in the Monsters Lair over there in Irilion, the new undiscovered world...

These are the Eternal Lands and you can become a part of them. The massive multiplayer role-play game Eternal Lands offers the player the possibility to dive into a world of magic, fantasy and adventure - full of monsters, animals, magic creatures and huge new areas and continents to explore. And last not least, a great community with hundreds of other players that will join you. Many games promise their players to give them absolute freedom, but in fact force the player to choose between several possible ways of playing the game, sometimes even that isn’t possible. Eternal Lands keeps this promise, as a player you have the freedom to whatever you want, learn any profession you want and play exactly the way you want, since there are no classes, like in most other MMORPGs that will limit your freedom. The world of Eternal Lands is set in an epic story of battles between mighty gods and many tribes and races and as a player you will find yourself right in the thick of it.

A new hero is born

creating a character

Getting started is quite simple. After downloading the small setup file from the Eternal Lands website and installing the game on your hard drive, you can start playing right away. Bills, money transfer or credit cards? Forget them because Eternal Lands is totally free to play and download. And even better: It doesn't matter whether you use Windows, FreeBSD or Linux because Eternal Lands supports them all! Even MacOS X is supported (the client is currently in Beta-stage).

Character creation is quite simple, basically you choose the name and appearance of your character, everything else is just dependent on the way you will play the game. Currently there are six races to choose from: The dexterous Dwarves, the tall and strong Humans, the graceful Elves, the tiny Gnomes, the magic Draegoni and the brute Orchans. The latter three races can only be played after donating a small amount to the game. With our newly created character we start on Isla Prima, a small and safe island that is good to learn the basics of the game. Getting started is quite simple due to some tutorial quests that are available on Isla Prima and the so called "Newbie Helpers", advanced players that will help new players. After finishing our first few quests and understanding the interface that is quite intuitive, we can start to explore the world outside of Isla Prima. What really catches the players eye right from the beginning, are the beautiful and unique graphics of the game. Eternal Lands doesn't have to hide behind commercial games; it even outpaces many of those games. The game is done in 3D and allows rotating, zooming and changing the angle of the camera. Characters can be controlled by both mouse and keyboard.

Exploring the World of Eternal Lands

Hunting down wild creatures

New players can start developing their skills in safe areas and cities. They can choose between fighting and hunting, crafting jewelry and rings, creating potions or essences, manufacturing clothes, weapons and armors or casting spells. Additionally they can start to worship one or more of the various gods of the Eternal Lands. Or they do it all at the same time. As already mentioned, the game has no classes, so every combination is possible. Advanced players can start to explore the more dangerous areas of Seridia, the first of two continents, where they will find places full of monsters and other mystic areas. Players can organize themselves in so called guilds. This brings a lot of long-term motivation into the game. Guilds can even obtain there own guild maps. High level players can match with each other in player-versus-player locations or against the high-level monsters, which can be found on both Seridia and Irilion. Speaking of Irilion, the second continent is a huge new area, with northern parts that are covered by snow, deserts and rain forests, inhabited by exotic animals. Diversity is what makes Eternal Lands interesting, every area or town is different and has unique style and buildings. Even after weeks and months of playing there are still new areas and things to discover and explore. Players can obtain many items; some of them are even magic and very rare. People that love to collect will have fun trying to get them all.

The community

Meeting at a fireplace

The point of a massive multiplayer game is certainly the interaction and socializing with other players. In some games these social contacts are merely used to achieve a certain goal, like do a quest together and say bye afterwards. That’s what really astonished me when I first played Eternal Lands – people are nice and helpful and in the time real friendships start to exist. The player based guilds are a great way to get organized together with your friends and to help each other. There are frequent community events such as marriages, player councils or fighting championships. Every day there are several contests that players can attend to and win prizes. And there is the Eternal Lands forum and the Eternal Lands fan based network that extend Eternal Lands community.

Eternal Lands’ progress

It’s hardly to believe but Eternal Lands is in beta stage. Beta stage doesn’t mean the game is not complete or only partially playable. It means the world of Eternal Lands and the game play progresses and new things, such as animals, monsters, items or areas are constantly getting added to the game. This provides long-term motivation even for older players. Since the code of the Eternal Lands client is open source there are always people that get involved and continue to develop the game.

Conclusion

This game is definitely worth a try. The world is huge and interesting and the players are nice and helpful. Eternal Lands allows every player to do exactly what s/he likes best and gives the player the freedom to develop a character just the way s/he wants. There has been huge progress since the early versions of the game and new content constantly gets added to the game. That way even after months of playing you won’t get bored easily. But be warned, this game is highly addictive.

Grats!

kl4Uz, the mighty reviewer!

tyvm jjk :blink:

And thanks Lord_Vermor, I did the same in the meantime, I'll have a look at your corrections and then I'll post the final review.

update:

I hope all the mistakes and errors are now fixed. If you still find something that doesn't look right, please don't hesitate to say so.

http://kl4uz.afterdarknet.at/review/review.htm

with regards,

kl4Uz

Edited by kl4Uz

Vermor, maybe you should bold the corrections so you don't have to look as hard? :blink:

Here's what is still wrong...

Kilarian -> Kilaran

"Greetings Milady!", -> No comma

ain't possible -> isn't possible

The dexterous dwarves, the tall and strong humans, the graceful elves, the tiny gnomes, the magic draegonis and the brute orchans. -> The dexterous Dwarves, the tall and strong Humans, the graceful Elves, the tiny Gnomes, the magical Draegoni and the brute Orchans. (Draegoni is the plural version as well and races should be capitalized, magical also sounds better)

The game is done in 3D and allows to rotate, zoom and change the angle of the camera. -> This game is done in 3D and allows rotating, zooming, and changing the angle of the camera.

...against the high-level monsters, that can ... -> against the high-level monsters, which can...

Well done kl4

Couple of small changes

It's hardly to believe but Eternal Lands is in beta stage

It's hard to believe etc

people are nice and helpful and in the time real friendships start to exist

in time real etc i.e.delete the word "the"

Thank you Brendal!

The problem is I'm currently at university and I don't have access to my webserver so I can't correct these spelling errors right now. I'll ty to do that as soon as possible. I hope that is okay with you Entropy.

with regards,

kl4Uz