Eternal Lands Official Forums
storm

Radon pouch - one vent too many?

Over all the radon pouches have had very little effect on me due to levels and HP. I am also pleased to see that they have been reduced in the damage they do. I do however wonder what the impact is with lower level players though. I think that any other players who are in the 20ish range and are just starting to harvest minerals and such will be very turned off by this event. It is not unusual to see more than one pouch find during a harvesting hour. A player with 70mp is about dead after two such events and only full plate can help them? Even loaded up with a couple BRS they still face an untimely death or worse yet be forced to walk away from the game and go AFK for quite some time to heal which may be the bigger concern. If they constantly have to stop playing will they keep playing? I personally believe that the events we had were enough, they keep me on my toes, don't allow me to be AFK, force me to be prepared and provide plenty of disruption. I am interested in answering the following questions among others:

1. What do radon pouches add to game play? (I see what cool downs have done and must admit it is not all bad)

2. Do you think they will turn off newer players?

3. Will it raise prices of materials?

4. Do they happen too often?

5. Are the damage levels still to high?

Please do not turn this thread into a complaint session I am interested in opinions on if you think this event is having a negative or positive impact on game play and how.

Events so far today (mining only) not counting teleports and broken picks:

16 times MN got pissed (293 mp, Avg. damage 18)

6 radon pouches were found (210 mp, Avg. damage 30)

2 times walls fell (21 mp Avg. damage 10 with moon med)

1 bag of gold, 1 blessing and 0 goodies found

I would say "yes". Your own stats show them a lot more often that falling walls. Based on the damage, I think they should probably happen less than falling walls.

This isn't typical, but in one session today (120 harvests) I had 3 radons and one P-offed Mother. With no HEs handy, that ended that session (about 8 harvests early).

Well since getting back into the game, I've been harvesting some silver lately just to see how things have changed since when I used to do it.

Out of 4k silver today, had only 2 radon patches, though they were within 30 secs of eachother and it ended up killing me, though someone was kind enough to pick up the silver and return it to me when i returned. It was a bother but not much of one. I usually see more of MN getting pissed or a pickaxe breaking (three times today). Also the occasional teleport nexus.

All in all I don't like it compared to when there were no random events at all but I think anyone would agree with that, but I'll deal with it.

Maybe I'm not the one who should post here as I don't do much ore/mineral harvesting lately, but here's my view on radon pouches:

I believe they add realism to the game, and I don't really mind them at all, but when putting them back in maybe there should be mother nature's "pis***g" removed, as there are enough "negative" harvesting events already (or maybe keep it for food/flower harvesting only).

After all, harvesting ore/minerals should be risky, it shouldn't be easy way of getting exp... and what conserns players with low mp (50 or lower), well, if you don't have the brs or hes and aren't ready to risk dying, than keep harvesting vegetables and fruits.

That's all I have to say...

1. What do radon pouches add to game play? (I see what cool downs have done and must admit it is not all bad)

they add a bit more danger and need for healing while mining to the game. that much is good. they are also another step away from realism. that's bad. but that you can easily fix with a name change, which won't happen

2. Do you think they will turn off newer players?

possibly... but why are newbies going mining so soon? this and things like newbies in plate are caused because they want to rush through the game, get to the top, whatever... realistically, it's better IMO if they're forced to slow down

3. Will it raise prices of materials?

nah. even before cooldown, harvesting was the easiest step of making stuff. with the reduced demand because of cooldown, even with more neg events yu still have a lot more supply than demand

5. Are the damage levels still to high?

I think we need some heavy-hitting events (but remember, radon is 30 now, cave wall up to 40)... but currently they're all in a set range... if radon instead was 20+20% of players health... it's then in favour of the lower level players a bit more (higher level players can be expected to be mroe able to heal though)

They do indeed increase the danger and I agree that that is an important element of the game.

Many new players when they get into they get into the 20ish OA range are starting to harvest minerals esp sulfur and such as FEs are the first essence any one makes, so it does impact the new players.

It will be interesting to see if eventually it does indeed trickle down on the pricing part. With cool down the time some people have to harvest has been cut into by that so unless you have guild support it makes it very hard for a freelancer to compete. Could be a plus for guilds then in getting people into them. I can not do anything about MN, but I can about cave walls with a moon med. Even MN is random though on the damage amount, usually ranging between 12 and 20 mp. Radon shots are just a straight 30 slap unless you have plate.

Some good thoughts from you all, thank you. Like any thing new, I'm sure it will all work out fine.

Storm

Can somebody please inform me about these "radon pouchs" i don't know what they are.. :)

Edited by MoJo

Can somebody please inform me about these "radon pouchs" i don't know what they are.. :)

Radon pouch - A radon pouch is a pocket of magic negatively charged energy held in stasis that is embeded within the rock and earth of Eternal Lands. Any time a person is mining say for gems or minerals you may encounter them. If in your excavation you should encounter one and upset its static state then it releases some of that negative magic energy and inflicts damage upon you.

...or put another way, it is a random harvesting event that does 30mp of damage to you which can be reduced by wearing plate armor.

Storm

"Wear armor"

It used to be that each profession had it's own set of tools and skills. Now all players must have the same P/C and nexus as fighters to function as a harvester/alchemist?

Edited by storm

I think they do happen to often. In one mining session of gettting titanium i was hit by 7 radon pouches, 7 broken pickaxes and one MN attack. Luckily I have started taking at least 4HE with me on every mining trip. I have enough HP to just survive two attack (55hp) but I don't want to have to wear armour to go mining. I am only human nexus two and dont have the PP or the money to get plate armour.

Hmmm...so if you were to wear a mirror cloak, would this then reflect your damage to all others around you??? :hehe:

Hmmm...so if you were to wear a mirror cloak, would this then reflect your damage to all others around you??? :(

LOL...THAT would rock! You take say 10 points of damage and anyone in the area would take 5 points of damage... :hehe:

should make it where mother nature actually spawns next to you and damages you, that way if you have on a mirror cloak and she hits you you can damage her :hehe:

I was Harv'in Tit in PL.

And got hit twice in about 3 minutes, each hit over 40 damage..

Lucky I have 100 HP and didn't die..

Then she broke my pickaxe.. so sad.. :hehe:

Can excavator cloak's and armor be damaged by mn damage and radon pouches? why not have radon pouches contaminate worn items, if affected items are not removed will take 5 points of damage per minute. That would stop afk harvesting :-)

Can excavator cloak's and armor be damaged by mn damage and radon pouches? why not have radon pouches contaminate worn items, if affected items are not removed will take 5 points of damage per minute. That would stop afk harvesting :-)

I myself do not think there is much AFK harvesting anymore. There are many in the mines that are AFK but they are not harvesting I don't think. There are so many events now that a harvesting hour without an event seems to be the exception.

Can somebody please inform me about these "radon pouchs" i don't know what they are.. :hiya:

Radon pouch - A radon pouch is a pocket of magic negatively charged energy held in stasis that is embeded within the rock and earth of Eternal Lands. Any time a person is mining say for gems or minerals you may encounter them. If in your excavation you should encounter one and upset its static state then it releases some of that negative magic energy and inflicts damage upon you.

...or put another way, it is a random harvesting event that does 30mp of damage to you which can be reduced by wearing plate armor.

Storm

complete BS, radon is a radioactive gas, that is emmited by the metal radium. this property of it is used to base an experimental earthquake prediction system. The reason it stays in pouches (first time i hear that term) is because it has a full top electron layer, which prevents it from combining with crepe.

complete BS, radon is a radioactive gas [snip]

erm. be nice. I prefer the definition that would actually fit in a medieval game

yeah, yeah, it's not all medieval, I know, there are satellites and we have the GUT and all, yet we still hit people with swords... y'know what? lets ust treat it as a medieval game because the high science does NOT work (stuff like streetlights is fine though. that does fit without destroying beleivability)

as to what real radon is... yeah, radioactive, halflife of about 3 and a half days, hence for a pocket that will hurt you that much in an instant the amount of radium in the soil would mean we either couldn't live a minute or must have an incredible resistance to it, and hence wouldn't take any damage from the gas...

okay, we're back into it not working. so either it's a poisonous gas or it's magic

lets go with the magic energy

oh yes, and also... how would our chars know what radon is? how would they know that's what got them? (colourless, no smell, etc)