Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Client Crashing Problems READ ME FIRST

If the game crashes right when you start it, run elconfig and disable the clouds shadows.

This is usually an issue for some SiS cards, which incorrectly report an extension.

It still doesnt work and it pops up with a message saying "Developed using the Dev-C++ IDE has encountered a problem and needs to close."

i have the same problem only then when are events and least 200 ppl online.....

but usually i dont have this problem....

I have a pentium 2 400mhz gateway with a 3dforce2 MX-64LTV, the game comes up for 2 seconds on a black screen like it is going to start and then immediately closes out. I have updated video drivers and tried disabling the suggeseted things and the problem still persists

Game version: 0.9.6 downloaded in full version mode (1st time i try to install)

Comp: PIV 800 MHz / 256Mb RAM / 8 Gb Free HD

Drivers: NVidia drivers 53.04 (for Geforce 2 / 32 Mb)

Tried disabling clouds, shadows and sound (all combinations).

Tried to change my resolution screen to all colour depth and resolutions (even matching Windows resolution with the one specified in game).

Tried to switch fullscreen/window (in all previous testings).

And it keeps happening the same, client starts, open a window not showing nothing into and after 2 seconds program running shows a error message:

Program made a invalid operation and will close.. blah, blah, blah

Details:

EL made a invalid page error in KERNEL32.DLL module in 0167:bff7b9a6.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=bff7b9a6 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=bff813ec SS=016f ESP=0093f100 EBP=00000000

ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=69804110 FS=1b8f

EDX=69804110 ES=016f EDI=bff8c5f2 GS=0000

Bytes in CS:EIP:

,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x

Stack dump:

,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x

I hope this help you getting same error and finding easier what happens.

Ciao

You said me trying downloading again, and tried all dowload sites, and same error.

I have to say: if you close that error window shown by application once, it displays again and again, till it finally closes the app.

I don't know if it's a recursive error when program tries to do something, or if it's that program wrongly manages the display driver and keeps trying doing things with it as if it would be ok (i mean, program wronly loads driver, then tries to define palettes, catching textures, etc.. etc...)

If you would compile a executable that makes initialization debug strings to a file, i can send you what it writes in my computer when i will test, and you will get more info than i ever can write to you. (i mean putting strings as: "driver loading ok", "it passes through 100th code line", etc.. etc..., to check in what point it breaks).

I hope this help you

Every once in a while some people have this problem, but it happens very rarely. Do you have any programming knowledge?

Also, there is a file called errors_log.txt

See if it has anythign in it. If it only has a message bitching that it can't find fontv.bmp ignore it.

First: Yup, i'm a coder. I programed in assembler, C/C++, ASP, php, JAVA and i don't know how many languages more.

Second: Yup, there is only this message about fontv.bmp in error_log.txt

Third: I tried with NVIDIA drivers 43.35, and program works, but it always reset to a low resolution and full screen (no matter if i choose other resolution or windowed option).

The worst is that i get FPS=0 and it's almost impossible to play at this rate.

Fourth: I tried with NVIDIA 44.03, and program works as with 43.35, but a bit smoother (FPS=1). The damned thing is that it still runs slow and makes impossible even controling moving (better i don't talk about mouse icons).

With both modes it says it's not able to make the stencil buffer and tries other two things more, and finally it says i've no luck and recommend upgrading OpenGL drivers. Finally when entering game disables even the shadows.

I think it works in this way with quake game too, because i remember those messages (this thing says to me that maybe you're using quake 3D engine to develop EL, true?)

Fifth: I returned to NVIDIA drivers 53.09 and it works as i described in my first mail, it opens a window and keep displaying the KERNEL32.DLL error message.

Phew! I'm too tired today to test more. I think it's something changed in NVIDIA drivers 5xx versions. Program demi-works with 4xx series, but it's almost impossible play with the last ones because lags a lot and recommends upgrading OpenGL drivers.

Sad day to me, too much testing for poor results :/

Rather than trying ot change the res in game just change it in your el.ini - i had exact same error trying to change res and that worked fine.

Sorry for this question, but did you install the Nvidia drivers properly? I mena, not only the 2D X driver, but also the 3D driver? If you get 0-1FPS that means you don't have the right drivers installed, and you use Mesa.

Do this: press F1, and type: glinfo

see what it says on the video card.

Does it say Mesa?

The reason I asked if you are a programmer is because the game client is open source, so you can try to see for yourself what might be wrong. Also, try a compile for your own computer, might work better.

I've configured Direct3D and OpenGL with NVIDIA drivers. I tried exchanging all options it has.

You're true when saying maybe 3D drivers are not working properly, but not because they're not installed, i bet they don't initialize properly and program as last option tries to run in a 'software mode' instead 'hardware one' (when using NVIDIA 43.45 version).

I will try to have a look at code and will say you something more, but i didn't programmed any 3D code in the last 3 years, so maybe new options will be unknown to me ;P.

I will say you something more...

Regards

Results from #glinfo command (using NVIDIA 44.03 drivers)

GDI Generic

Microsoft Corporation

GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture

I had a look to code where video is initialized and where EL app initializes GL and all are standard functions from a 3D engine library. But i've no code from this library!. lol.

So, even checking all is done ok in initialization (no wrong code), is the library itself the one working wrong with NVIDIA drivers, or better let's say, are NVIDIA drivers the ones not supporting this library (maybe are not 100% OpenGL 1.2 compatible).

Then, i bet there is no solution and only remains praying for a new NVIDIA drivers fully supporting OpenGL 1.2 (and if they didn't managed in the last 2 years, i think they will not manage forever)

So, i strongly recommend all NVIDIA users here 'downgrading' their driver version to 4xx ones, or won't play this game for sure.

I started playing with 4xx drivers, but it's almost impossible even hunting rabbits, so, i bet i will play this weekend (mainly for test game features), and will sadly leave (because this game is pretty cool).

:/ Ciao

Umm, the functions it links to are in the OpenGL drivers, so if they are properly installed, your Nvidia drivers SHOULD work.

I have no idea why they don't work, a lot of people have Nvidia cards, and no one had this problem before (after they installed their drivers, that is).

I exchanged my Geforce2 MX/MX 400 64 Mb with my brother (other Geforce2 MX/MX 400 64 MB, but with a bit more modern chipset for OpenGL), and it goes in the same way :/

Then i tried with a 'lent' Geforce4, and game goes smooth (about 45-50 FPS)...

Well, i will upgrade my video card, but not to a Geforce4. I'm thinking in a ATI RAGE 9600. Iit costs only about 100$ and i'm tired NVIDIA don't upgrade drivers for their cards with more than 2 years EVER >( (i'm still waiting till Quake game was developed about 3 years ago to allow them do it, and nothing).

Do you know if it's any problem with ATI RAGE series?

Mwa ha ha ha!

The Geforce4 worked only because i installed it in a Windows XP, and not in a Windows 98 second edition as others.

It means, if i install a Geforce4 in a Windows 98 it don't works, but yup in Windows XP. It seems Windows XP Geforce4 drivers provides OpenGL 1.2 support (ha ha)

Anyway i will buy a ATI 9600 in order to upgrade my old Geforce2, because i began time ago to get low frame rates in many games.

Thx for all

ok, i rlly hope someone knows if there's something i can do to make this game run. -_-*

this is what has happened. i started up the program, and went to the login screen. i was able to go to the new character screen and select how i wanted my char to look. upon pressing the "done" button, the program crashes.

then, i try to create again, but apparently the username has been taken (i.e., i was able to create my character even though the client crashed). i try to log in as the character i had just created, and the client crashes again.

i have no idea what's wrong ... :/

processor: amd athlon xp 2500+

video: *puts up flame shield* ... it's on-board, VIA/S3 KM400/KN400 32 MB

i was able to find this little tidbit of info which may or may not be of any use:

OpenGL ICD: vticd.dll 6.14.10.0022-16.94.10 (i found that while perusing through the display adapter info)

hope someone can give me a hand! :)

Try disabling clouds shadows. You can also try updating your video drivers if you can. That's not really a 3d accelerated video card, so if you got in the game, it would look bad and be really slow. You can get a very decent video card for about $20.

yeah ... after posting i tried to do a bit more research about this card and whether or not updated drivers are available.

apparently, this card just sucks, period. :D the good people at via aren't too adept when it comes to writing their drivers, apparently. they are incompatabilities with many, many games ...

time to upgrade ... :) your quick reply is much appreciated.

yeah ... after posting i tried to do a bit more research about this card and whether or not updated drivers are available.

apparently, this card just sucks, period.  :D  the good people at via aren't too adept when it comes to writing their drivers, apparently.  they are incompatabilities with many, many games ...

time to upgrade ... :)  your quick reply is much appreciated.

sorry, this last post was me :) not used to having to put the username in when posting, sorry ...

I had the same problem too, when I had SiS 32 mb, it didn't support 3D graphics, and since half of E-L is uses a 3D engine, I was walkin' around with sides of trees missing, mouuntian sides missing, boats missing, bridges not there, and no walls in Crystal Cavern. I have a P4-256MB RAM, powerspec, 2.4 ghz. Never got anymore than about 20 Fps on AVERAGE. I recommend Newegg.com if you're going to get a new VGA. There's a nice sapphire radeon 9600 atlantis for about 93$. Comes clocked at about 325/400. I got that, and i get about 50-100 FPS on average now :roll: . Good luck in whatever VGA you guys choose for gaming :wink:

I DL-ed the game, i have it on my desktop... then when i clicky it, it says what do you wnat to open with?

I dont what to open with so i cant play :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this