Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
warken

cant install on Linux help..

hey im trying to install on linux, im just learning Linux, well i been trying to learn it for awhile now.

I got to unzip it using File Roller and it says something about

/bin/sh: line 1: unzip: command not found

I go to root access and do

debian:/home/warken# ./el_112_linux.zip
bash: ./el_112_linux.zip: cannot execute binary file

Im also wandering if its possible to install the game using CVS, and if so how. thanks. I found the cvs site , when i go to make it comes with an error after awhile. thanks. :brooding:

Edited by warken

hey im trying to install on linux, im just learning Linux, well i been trying to learn it for awhile now.

I got to unzip it using File Roller and it says something about

/bin/sh: line 1: unzip: command not found

may as well stop here. you didn't get it unzipped. you'll have to use your package manager (whatever that is, for your distro. swaret, urpmi, apt-get, yum, there are a lot of options) and install the unzip program

I go to root access and do

please don't. you can use root when installing EL i you want it available for all people, but don't run any apps as root

debian:/home/warken# ./el_112_linux.zip
bash: ./el_112_linux.zip: cannot execute binary file

yeah, you need to unzip first. then it'll be `./elc.x86.linux.bin` or similar(though you should make a directory wherever for this stuff. and you need to either edit data_dir in el.ini or launch from the data directory each time)

Im also wandering if its possible to install the game using CVS, and if so how. thanks. I found the cvs site , when i go to make it comes with an error after awhile. thanks. :brooding:

214013[/snapback]

sure, the instructions are on berlios on how to check it out; you'll also need to have gcc(core and c++), make, and related tools installed and working though (if you don't have unzip, you probably don't have the dev tools)

if you have errors, please post what the error is, so we can figure the problem (but make sure you have dev tools installed for C and C++ as well as all the libraries listed on http://elc.berlios.de/build.php )

Edited by ttlanhil

Jesus, don't do that as root!

Install unzip by doing the following, then use fireroller to extract if you like:

sudo apt-get install unzip

That may not be the correct name, if not. Do

apt-cache search unzip

Then use the first code clip and replace 'unzip' (without the quotes :brooding:) with whatever you think will install unzip.

Change to the directory you extracted the zip file from (using 'cd')

Once you've done that, do the following:

chmod 755 el.x86.linux.bin

THEN do:

./el.x86.linux.bin

The game should work ;)

try to install unzip via sudo i get.

warken is not in the sudoers file.

anyhelp as to what to do..thanks

214132[/snapback]

Ermmm....:-\

What distribution? Debian obviously, but Ubuntu or pure debian?

Try:

su -

Enter your root password, install unzip then continue from the previous post.

214132[/snapback]

It looks like you cannot use sudo, or su. I do not know Debian like Placid does, but I would check your /etc/groups file to insure your username is under the appropriete categories.

Its fairly simple,

Unzip files into a folder (I recommend unzipping them using the old windose method, find a browers window, locate the folder, right click and unzip it. It normally works. :blush:)

Locate el.x86.linux.bin

./el.x86.linux.bin (runs the file, Just like an el.exe would)

if you are unable to ./el.x86.linux.bin try chmoding it by typing

chmod 775 el.x86.linux.bin (though I use chmod 774, you will not notice a difference)

Note: If you do not know, chmod changes the permissions of the file so that it is more or less accessable.

As for CVS, if you want to try getting it working you can, but the above way is much easier.

Another note: Congrats on learning linux, Keep up the good work.

Edited by Brom

You could add yourself to the sudoers file in /etc/, but its no good if you dont have root access to change the file in the first place ;-)

Ok giving root access made it work thanks, now i just need to install my video drivers.. thanks. see yea Windows..

214132[/snapback]

It looks like you cannot use sudo, or su. I do not know Debian like Placid does, but I would check your /etc/groups file to insure your username is under the appropriete categories.

Its fairly simple,

Unzip files into a folder (I recommend unzipping them using the old windose method, find a browers window, locate the folder, right click and unzip it. It normally works. :blush:)

Locate el.x86.linux.bin

./el.x86.linux.bin (runs the file, Just like an el.exe would)

if you are unable to ./el.x86.linux.bin try chmoding it by typing

chmod 775 el.x86.linux.bin (though I use chmod 774, you will not notice a difference)

Note: If you do not know, chmod changes the permissions of the file so that it is more or less accessable.

As for CVS, if you want to try getting it working you can, but the above way is much easier.

Another note: Congrats on learning linux, Keep up the good work.

214135[/snapback]

You mean to say that I was actually helpful on a linux topic. My purpose in life is fullfilled. :blush: Ask your questions that you will have on getting your video drivers installed. Is installing drivers easy on Debian?

::Ponders switching to Debian

Yea how do i turn off the X server to install the drivers? i go to recover and it says it cant find the kernal. Mainly because the kernel wasnt loaded probably.

You mean to say that I was actually helpful on a linux topic. My purpose in life is fullfilled. :blush: Ask your questions that you will have on getting your video drivers installed. Is installing drivers easy on Debian?

::Ponders switching to Debian

214162[/snapback]

When I need to stop X, I go down and init level. But I am unsure how you would do it in Debian. I need a Debian person to answer this. BRB

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this