Eternal Lands Official Forums
tPhat

Can't access bag contents

I noticed that sometimes I can not access items in a bag. I have to move away from the bag, then "pick it up" again to be able to access the items within it.

I noticed that sometimes I can not access items in a bag. I have to move away from the bag, then "pick it up" again to be able to access the items within it.

212019[/snapback]

this will always happen when you reconnect(guessing it might be related because of your other post).

there's the stuff about dropping items into bag or click to reopen, but once you disconnect, the client no longer knows which bag it has open

I also found that I can't even open some bags, while other people can.

I don't think it's connected with the disconnection problem (no pun intended) I'm having. I'll have to keep track to see if both occur around the same time.

Edited by tPhat

No, the fact that I can not even open a bag is not related to my disconnection problem. I've had a few days of continuous connection, but there are still some bags that I can't grab :P

I've had it so that I'm next to a bag trying to grab it and someone else just come by and snaps it up. Vary frustrating :P

I would add that sometimes right after I kill an animal/monster, I cannot pick up a bag as well. I have to click elsewhere and then back on the bag to pick it up. Not a connection or old bag issue. Seems clientside if anything.

I don't know what the solution is, but I can tell you the reason this happens. When you log in, several packets of information are sent to you. Things like the list of players and their locations, the location of all the teleports, and the entire list of bags on that island. The problem is, sometimes, for unknown reasons, that list of bags is not complete. I've seen it from a raw form, and it seems that one bag can be excluded from the list. I've never seen 2 bags or more excluded...only 1. There seems to be a mismatch between the list of known bags, and the list of bags the client remembers when it was last logged in. First of all, the server needs to send the entire list of bags, and not omit any. This is the real source of the problem. It explains also why some people can pick up bags, and others can not. It is because person-1 received the entire list of bags, but person-2 did not. As I said, it is usualy no more than one bag omitted from the list. There are some possible solutions, like checksums from the client, not just for bags, but for all lists sent.

How do I know the list is incomplete?

Because the client is also informed when a bag dissapears. I have some code that tracks the bag list against the bags as they dissapear. Sometimes a bag will dissapear that never existed. It never existed because my cleint was never informed it existed...but it actually did exist, because it later dissapeared. Perhaps a checksum could some day be added to lists sent from the server. Another option is to restrict the radius of bags that a client is informed of, thus shortening the list, similar to the restricted radius od add_new_enhanced_actor and stuff. The actual server side reason this happens is probably quite interesting and might be difficult to ever fix perfectly.

Edited by Wicca