Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ph3r3

End the harvest

So you mean that ppl who harvest accumulate so much money that they will do other things just for fun (like crafting) and sell those items "at rock bottom prices".

Does that really  make sense to you? or are you under the assumption that crafters do not harvest?

Harevesting is the most basic skill of them all (well some fighting could go in there too I guess). So everybody harvest at one point or another. Not all harvesting is made for the sole purpose of putting "big bucks in the bank" .

If this is the problem why don't you try the same and put you own big bucks in the bank?

202687[/snapback]

People settle for poor selling prices in an already busted up economy because they dont need the money, they make things to level, and i enjoy doing other things than sitting for hours and hours picking lilacs.

Why the attitude derin?

For one, my idea, AND REMEMBER, it was just an idea, was to increase player involvement in harvesting. This will mean people who want to harvest for hours and hours for the sole purpose of making gp, will have to interact that little bit more, so that they cant just turn afk and earn whilst they watch video's/play other games/ etc. Or maybe you are one of those people earning big off of harvesting.

I'm not saying lower exp or make it any slower etc, i just want to see more player participation.

Edited by pennifuin

People settle for poor selling prices in an already busted up economy because they dont need the money, they make things to level, and i enjoy doing other things than sitting for hours and hours picking lilacs.

Why the attitude derin?

For one, my idea, AND REMEMBER, it was just an idea, was to increase player involvement in harvesting. This will mean people who want to harvest for hours and hours for the sole purpose of making gp, will have to interact that little bit more, so that they cant just turn afk and earn whilst they watch video's/play other games/ etc. Or maybe you are one of those people earning big off of harvesting.

I'm not saying lower exp or make it any slower etc, i just want to see more player participation.

202771[/snapback]

I was just curious about your prespective. No attitude on my part. We all want to see more player participation, but that doesn't have to exclude harvesting. We have pretty fun in the mines. You should join us :D

So you mean that ppl who harvest accumulate so much money that they will do other things just for fun...

Well, my TI harvesting has financed three glowy swords to-date. That would appear to qualify as "so much money" allowing me to buy things "just for fun". I could use that money to finance manufacturing or crafting work without worrying about what I might sell the results for. I don't because (to me) that would seem to much like buying levels, but I could.

That said, I would not like any increased interaction in harvesting. It's borring enough as it is (with to many things that cause it to stop), I wouldn't want to have to baby-sit it any more.

Edited by bkc56

I was just curious about your prespective. No attitude on my part. We all want to see more player participation, but that doesn't have to exclude harvesting. We have pretty fun in the mines. You should join us  :)

202829[/snapback]

i mean i personally love the social of mining...but there are some people who just sit semi-afk and earn whilst they are doing something else other than play el! this means that people cant take the easy option of harvesting to gain their pocketmoney. It drains all motivation out of the game, because people wanting to make cash, dont want to spend time enjoying the many fun aspects of the game. Can we not have fun and earn dosh? this is just a means to motivate people to invest their time in other skills!

Well, my TI harvesting has financed three glowy swords to-date.  That would appear to qualify as "so much money" allowing me to buy things "just for fun".  I could use that money to finance manufacturing or crafting work without worrying about what I might sell the results for.  I don't because (to me) that would seem to much like buying levels, but I could.

That said, I would not like any increased interaction in harvesting.  It's borring enough as it is (with to many things that cause it to stop), I wouldn't want to have to baby-sit it any more.

202833[/snapback]

hmm...enough said i think :D

hmm...enough said i think :cry:

202915[/snapback]

Yea, I see your point. BUT, I don't play EL as a fancy chat program. I love the social aspects of it (especially within a guild), but I want to play the game, not just sit around mining/mixing/whatever while I chat in-game with others. And forcing me to click more often because the events that stop mining happen more often doesn't make me feel like I'm playing more.

And let me point out, it's very hard to be social (chat) if you're having to click the mouse a lot. I do talk with people while harvesting, but not as much while mixing as I can't type and click "mix" at the same time. And those clicks are pretty short for some things (like FEs).

The one skill that DOES require a lot of playing is attack/defense. You're actually running around doing stuff as you work on it. I wonder if that's why those skills tend to have some of the highest levels (people enjoy fighting more than mixing)?

It's a hard problem. How do you make working on a skill an actual challenge (so there's work/activity involved) without making it simply "how many times can you click "mix" before your eyes begin to glaze over?". Or, how do you make all the work involved in crafting (harvesting, making FE and WE, making bars, making rings, polishing jems, and finally making magic rings) fun and not simply a lot of tedious and repetative mouse-clicking?

Let me ask a different question: why is macro use a problem? Is it just people trying to "cheat" and level up faster, or is it people trying to get relief from the mix,mix,eat,mix,mix,eat cycle. If the process of making items were more interesting/fun, would there be less people trying to automate the process (and again, I'm not talking about people who simply want to cheat)?

No, I don't have any solutions. I'm only now, after several months of playing, beginning to realize just how complex a problem it is (and gaining a higher level of respect for the designers as they work on these issues).

Yea, I see your point.  BUT, I don't play EL as a fancy chat program.  I love the social aspects of it (especially within a guild), but I want to play the game, not just sit around mining/mixing/whatever while I chat in-game with others.  And forcing me to click more often because the events that stop mining happen more often doesn't make me feel like I'm playing more

what the hell? how is sitting there watching your char do all the hard work whilst you're free to check emails, forums and other assorted activities, playing?! as i said in my idea, you wouldnt be clicking every other second numnut. Read properly before posting. You would have to wait till you had depleted the ore/mineral/flower source before you had to click again. If something like this was implimented, it would mean people WOULD be playing the game. I think you've missed the point...or you're just trying to be awkward :( It wouldnt be a Runescape type set up (which is what i think you have in your mind) where one rock=one ore. That simply wouldnt work, because to make items on here requires alot more materials.

And let me point out, it's very hard to be social (chat) if you're having to click the mouse a lot.  I do talk with people while harvesting, but not as much while mixing as I can't type and click "mix" at the same time.  And those clicks are pretty short for some things (like FEs).

sounds like you have some real power playing issues ;) take a break between mixing perhaps?! it isnt a race remember.