Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Minardus

Blank screen after login

Hi all,

I joined up to the forum because I am having problems entering the new version:

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo-P PC with pentium 4 processor, just 2 month old.

Login goes well. The blue bar starts loading.

Then: the screen goes blank!!

After trying several times, I decided to deactivate my Norton antivirus and login again.

It worked and I could play.

Problem: I don't like to have my computer online to the internet without my antivirus activated !!!

Any hints how to solve this??

Btw, when I look into my error-log I get this stuff:

Error: Can't open file "./textures/fontv.bmp"

No Anim: ./animations/player_slash1.caf

No Anim: ./animations/canine_pain.caf

No Anim: ./animations/canine_idlel.caf

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle5.bmp"

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle6.bmp"

Error: Can't open file "./textures/particle7.bmp"

Any ideas what that means ?

all of those errors are common and expected.

when you say the screen goes black, do you mean the entire monitor, or the el window? (assuming windowed mode. if you're in fullscreen, please try windowed mode)

if it's the monitor, your antivirus is locking things up until you fix whatever problem

if it's just el window, then something is halting it. can you tell us what the last message is underneath the progressbar? (it could help a bit)

and as a temporary measure, will it all work okay if you reactivate your antivirus after EL is loaded?

all of those errors are common and expected.

OK, but I'd like to know how to solve them in ealy words.

I've seen some threads where the answer is too complicated for me. I don't know anything about programming.

When you say the screen goes black, do you mean the entire monitor, or the el window?

I said blank. Like a white screen.

But today I tried again and I got the window with the green text: welcome to Eternal Lands, etc.

That's when my computer got stuck.

I hit Start button and nothing happened.

I hit Ctr+Alt+Del and it said that Eternal Lands doesn't respond. When I try to close it it doesn't do anything.

I get a message from Microsoft asking if I want to send an error report!!!

and as a temporary measure, will it all work okay if you reactivate your antivirus after EL is loaded?

Yes. It worked yesterday.

Only fault I had then was that the numlock side of the keyboard and the special keys (like @ and #) didn't work.

I tried to solve that following some instructions from another topic on this board, but that requiers playing in full screen mode.

You say I should use windowed mode. So what should I do???

the error messages are just files you don't have because they weren't in the installer. most everyone would have the same errors, though, so ignore for now

again, is it just the EL window, or the entire screen that goes white? (is the program stopping, or the whole computer)

when you say hit start button, you mean windows start button, right? on keyboard or with mouse? (if mouse, it's definantly your antivirus locking the computer up. maybe your AV happy with EL is the only good solution)

trying to close EL and getting an error isn't too suprising. and that window always shows up when a program crashes

if you want to run in fullscreen, go right ahead. I only said to use windowed so that you can see if it's just EL or your entire computer that's locking up

I kinda solved the problem.

I deactivate Norton, enter the game and when I'm in I activate it again.

It would be nice to solve this problem, because it's not very inviting for new players that want to try this game !!

I amended the animations according to intructions in another thread:

here

Tnx for the help!

1. Use the settings in Norton and put EL in the trusted zone (or whatever it is called in Norton).

or

2. Get another AV program, like macaffee, nod32, panda etc.

Well, it worked fine before this weekend's update, so I assume the problem lies within the game. NOT in the antivirus !! :P

Yeah well, the Norton came with the computer when I bought it.

The license expires 28.10.2005.

So I have to buy a new one. What antivirus do you suggest ?