Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
twIIce

Fighting system

[enhancement idea]

I have a suggestion for the much complained about new health bar.

Keep the fade out or perhaps speed it up a tad, and add a thin red line that flashes at the exact point your health level decreases to, each time you recieve damage. The fade out is certainly a nice effect, but it's difficult to see at what point your health is when you receive succesive hits to your mp.

[suggestion for correction]

The second suggestion is to do with engaging enemies. I used to be able to click engage them while we were both moving past eachother, now i have to wait until either I, or the monster/creature comes to a near complete stop before i can attack. This is very frustrating walking to and fro past the same creature while s/he's on the move, waiting for them stop. Or standing still by the time they come near so that I may engage them.

:P

Well... this is about the fighting system... why make a new topic about it :D

Here are my ideas for the sytem (your second idea is good... very unrealistic now...)

Going with the idea of realism, we should make it where fighting IS NOT turn based. Here's an example of how it is now

Person1 "Hello Sir"

Person2 "Hi"

Person1 "Would you like to fight"

Person2 "Sure"

Person1 "Okay, but first let's make a deal. We'll get into some crazy stances, then I'll hit you and you can hit me and so on, until someone gives up. How about it?"

Person2 "Sure"

The turn based fighting begins...

I mean turn based is understandable in a game like Final Fantasy... but Eternal Lands is no where near Final Fantasy. So make it something more like Fable or so, where you DON'T engage in combat (this system would HAVE to be implemented for ranged weapons/archery)

(EDIT ABOVE: The only problem I can see with this is, if you DID want to move... you'd be kind of screwed, you'd need to make the movement more D2 like, actually no, the main idea of this is so you could run up hit hit hit (like the click click click used to be for harvesting) then run away if you get low on health (the monster would of course chase you...)))

This leads into parties: Parties would be very implementable with a non turn based fighting system, you would be in a party, and everyone within a certain range (or if you hit the monster if you don't want newbie rushes...) gets a divvy of the exp (2 people 1/2 and 1/2). With both of these ideas, I know TONS of people would join/re-join (few might leave... but I'm highly doubtful, the PKers would love this)

Which leads into my third idea... SUBCLASSES!!! say you have attack and defense, then there's little expanders next to each which go into Ranged Attack and Ranged Defense and Melee Attack and Melee Defense... the original Attack/Defense would mainly just to track your total work you've done in the combat classes and for an OA marker.

I do not know how hard any of these would be to implement, there just my 2 cents... B)

EDIT: ^ 3 cents

Edited by Aerowind

Turn Based is perfect for a game like this.

That way combat is more based on your skills, rather than.. your skill. Lol, if you get what I mean.

Also, you can press alt + b to show exact health, and I can fight while moving...

I don't like how hard it is to get the sword cursor to show, though. =/

Yes I get what you mean, it's based on how hard you've trained rather than how fast you can click B) but still, if more spawns are increased and the non attack lvl is raised for monsters or eliminated that increases the risk of dieing (exp would have to get decreased though)

EDIT: It will still be based on how hard you've trained... I mean think about it, if you don't have the lvl's to kill a garg but can click when you go to hit it, you'll do 0-1 dmg and get massacred in one hit >.>

EDIT2: And it would look SOOOOO cool in FPS view just seeing the monster(s) and your sword/shield

Edited by Aerowind

Areowind you obviously don't undertand english, and the second idea was already there b4 update, i used to be able to click att monsters on the move. The health bar fade IS confusing, i know i have many top fighters as friends who admit such.

Then you come along with all this turn based roll of the dice smeg. THAT'S unrealistic now. My suggestions are not.

The message i hate the most is you are too far away to attack something. Why cant it just make my character walk over and attack the monster/animal like in every other game?

This becomes worsened when you have monsters/animals that constantly move alot like little bunny rabbits in some instances that move alot.. it makes the game more frustrating then fun for combat.

Areowind you obviously don't undertand english, and the second idea was already there b4 update, i used to be able to click att monsters on the move. The health bar fade IS confusing, i know i have many top fighters as friends who admit such.

Then you come along with all this turn based roll of the dice smeg. THAT'S unrealistic now. My suggestions are not.

199532[/snapback]

OBVIOUSLY YOU don't understand English, I know the second idea was there before, that's why I said it was good, that it be changed back to that... and wtf? turn based roll of the dice smeg? I said that's what it basically is now and it's unrealistic, read what I typed again again and again until you get that I said the turn based is UNREALISTIC and not 'engaging' in combat and not having it turn based is MORE REALISITIC, god you need to read everything thouroghly, not just skim through it

The message i hate the most is you are too far away to attack something. Why cant it just make my character walk over and attack the monster/animal like in every other game?

This becomes worsened when you have monsters/animals that constantly move alot like little bunny rabbits in some instances that move alot.. it makes the game more frustrating then fun for combat.

200971[/snapback]

I completely agree.

It seems like the rabbits get faster everyday!!!!

They are hard to catch up to.

You walk in their direction and before you can click on the sword-button, they change direction and you have to go after them again !!!! :P

I completely agree.

It seems like the rabbits get faster everyday!!!!

They are hard to catch up to.

You walk in their direction and before you can click on the sword-button, they change direction and you have to go after them again !!!! :(

201351[/snapback]

Pffft quit complaining, it's good excercise!!! ;)