Eternal Lands Official Forums
mihaim

ATI problems linux.

This patch (slightly modified - all relative paths and default use of compiled vertex array to 1) has been comitted to Gentoo portage and will appear in eternal-lands-1.2.0_p1-r1

I've updated the patch on berlios to reflect the patch in Gentoo

Edited by UberLord

Sure.

It appears that xorg drivers have a buggy implementation of GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array or elc is mis-using it. The current elc works on my ATI 9800 Pro using the fglrx driver, but not on my ATI IGP 340M (laptop) IGP using the xorg driver. Other cards with the reported failure include Intel Extreme and other IGP chipsets normally found in laptops or on motherboards.

Hopefully I will be able to test my 9800 Pro with the xorg driver as soon as soneone can help me compiling mesa cvs tree on my amd64 as it's currently moaning about missing headers which are blatently there. That should say for sure if it's an xorg driver issue with elc or not.

Basically this patch adds an user definable option to disable the use of the GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension even if it's found. It should not be regarded as the final fix either xorg drivers should be fixed or elc should use the extension properly, but it does allow IGP users to see things properly.

What happens when it fails? Well, it looks like entire 3D surfaces do not get drawn - buildings are missing roofs, doors and windows, enter an inn and the floor is missing - what is worse is that you cannot move easily as there is no floor to click on!

Can you please explain, in a few lines, what was the problem?

Just to add a few words to what UberLord said:

I had exactly the same displaying problems with my Sapphire Radeon 9200 on a Asus A7N8X-X MB (nForce 2 400 chipset) while using xorg "radeon" drivers. Patch solved it.