Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puntif

Trying to compile new client for linux problems

I retrieved elc from Berlios a couple of hours ago.

I copied the Makefile.linux to Makefile and changed the beginning to look like:

.PHONY: clean release docs

## Kevin's modified Makefile.linux renamed Makefile

# tune these for your setup & compile options
OPTIONS=-DLINUX -DELC -DPNG_SCREENSHOT -DNEW_CLIENT -DMULTI_CHANNEL

Now I'm getting:

kevin@server1:~/elc$ make
gcc -march=i686  -O -ggdb -pipe -DLINUX -DELC -DPNG_SCREENSHOT -DNEW_CLIENT -DMULTI_CHANNEL -I/usr/local/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -c -o 2d_objects.o 2d_objects.c
In file included from global.h:117,
                from 2d_objects.c:4:
gl_init.h:57: parse error before "GLsizeiptrARB"
gl_init.h:69: parse error before '*' token
gl_init.h:69: `GLhandleARB' declared as function returning a function
gl_init.h:70: parse error before "shader"
gl_init.h:71: parse error before "shader"
gl_init.h:72: parse error before '*' token
gl_init.h:72: `GLhandleARB' declared as function returning a function
gl_init.h:73: parse error before "program"
gl_init.h:74: parse error before "program"
gl_init.h:75: parse error before "program"
make: *** [2d_objects.o] Error 1

gcc --version says it's version 3.2.2 and I'm using a slackware 9.0 distribution.

Any idea what the problem is? How can I diagnose this problem?

I found my glext.h in /usr/X11R6/include/GL - I presume it was installed as part of XFREE86. Is it safe to replace the glext.h or do I need to upgrade my xwindows version in order to compile elc?

I found my glext.h in /usr/X11R6/include/GL - I presume it was installed as part of XFREE86.  Is it safe to replace the glext.h or do I need to upgrade my xwindows version in order to compile elc?

196285[/snapback]

It should be safe, since glext.h is only declarations... but just in case, it doesn't hurt to keep a glext.h.bak.

OK replaced (after backing up) glext.h and the compile and link ran.

I noticed some warnings in pathfinder.c:

gcc -march=i686  -O -ggdb -pipe -DLINUX -DELC -DPNG_SCREENSHOT -DNEW_CLIENT -DMULTI_CHANNEL -I/usr/local/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -c -o pathfinder.o pathfinder.c
pathfinder.c: In function `pf_find_path':
pathfinder.c:156: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:158: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:160: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:162: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

Sounds like a data type problem doesn't it? Should I be concerned?

OK replaced (after backing up) glext.h and the compile and link ran.

I noticed some warnings in pathfinder.c:

gcc -march=i686  -O -ggdb -pipe -DLINUX -DELC -DPNG_SCREENSHOT -DNEW_CLIENT -DMULTI_CHANNEL -I/usr/local/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -c -o pathfinder.o pathfinder.c
pathfinder.c: In function `pf_find_path':
pathfinder.c:156: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:158: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:160: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
pathfinder.c:162: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type

Sounds like a data type problem doesn't it?  Should I be concerned?

196317[/snapback]

No concerns there. For now we decided to leave that warning for how a macro is being used instead of causing other problems. We are looking at better solutions in the future.

OK I'm running that build on the test server and it looks great!

I'm using the linux download announced on the forums earlier today but with my compiled client installed into a new directory.

I did see an error message after I closed the client:

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/Skills.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "languages/en/Encyclopedia/Skills.xml"

When I looked I found that the file is called skills.xml instead of Skills.xml. I'll make a copy with a capitalized name and see if that fixes the error but I presume it's an error in the packaging of the zip file.