Sign in to follow this  
ShadowKnight

New combat stats

Good idea?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• Yes
    • No

I was just thinking, to make fighting and weapons more unique, how about being able to affect our attack speed? I mean, realistically, some people hit faster than others. Like when you're watching a martial arts movie and have absolutely no idea what happened. Also, daggers may be weaker than axes, but have you ever seen an assassin with an axe? Besides being easier to conceal, daggers just hit faster. Besides, it would allow weapons to vary more, thus making weapons more unique.

Like when you're watching a martial arts movie and have absolutely no idea what happened.

LOL....well I think it would be cool to "level up" a weapon or a spell, but i dont know about attack speed...

Leveling up in a spell would be really cool though..because you'd spend more time on one, and can get more benefits out of it. Or I was also thinking, perhaps if you use more essences for a spell it would make it more powerful.

hmm, i kinda like. what he is talking about is the fact that int the time it will take to swing a big bad 2-handed axe a person with a dagger may well be pokeing a lot of holes in the opponent.

basicly a light,fast weapon allow for more attacks pr timeslice then a big, heavy one does. but this would i think maybe force a slowdown of combat in general...

hmm, as for leveling of weapons and/or spells, it could be interesting. the spell part may become unblanacing tho. and i cant say i like the idea of haveing to burn more essences as that makes the prosess of leveling the spell useless as it basicly becomes a more higher powerd version that i may as well get when i have a higher magic level in general.

there is allso a problem with the database in all this as it seems to be running out of space. adding the need to track every spell or weapon useage for every person in the game can have it grow out of control.

why i know the database is haveing problems? entropy said that he would not do mutch with the number of items you can wear as that would force him to redo the database :) and that most likely will have us loose out chars or atleast risk looseing them :(

but let us say that this was put in, would the "leveling" effect be set as a genral system of effects or as a pr weapon list of effects? it would most likley be a pr weapon list as then its more easy to finetune for balance...

It seems kinda stupid to me that some skilled warrior would just sit there and wait for the weak one to hit him before attacking again. If he is that skilled, he could probably get in a couple of hits before the weak one can get in his attack.

No, i was thinking that you could increase attack speed even barehanded, but weapons could also help. I basically thought of the idea so that weapons could be more unique, instead of the basic 3 stats, but i thought it could do the same thing barehanded. One thought is to make it so combat determines attack speed.

ah, now we are on the same train of thoguht i think :P

yes barehanded fighting would be one of the fastest fays to fight it out, with aproximatly the same combat speed as it is now. and as you pick up heavyer weapons your speed goes down unless your on a high level but when you hit you will hit with more damage. but as you go you in level in combat every weapon (even unarmed) becomes faster, but some weapons have a higher startingpoint before it starts becomeing faster and allso bigger steps on the speed ladder.

so unarmed may get faster for every 5 level in combat and it stats counting from level 0. a serpent sword may only get a new level in speed every 10 levels and start to cound from level 25 or so.

the same can be applyed to armor to, as you get stronger armor you may be able to stop more damage but you get slowed down unless again your combat skill is high.

so a unarmed combatant may be fast but will not last long, but someone packing a serpent and say plate armor can last for a very long time but will not get as many attack in the same timeframe as the unarmed person gets...

are we on the same train now?

i like the idea only 1 problem the titan serp since its extremely light would get even more bonus hardest hitting/fastest/adds def/and attack thats same with other titan swords

That info is on the web site. It weighs 3 lbs (shouldn't that be EMU??) , like all titanium swords. Iron and steel weigh 4, iron broad 7.

heh :)

forgot about that :P

anyways, my choice of weapon in the example was just to indicate a diffrence, not to lay down the rules (thatsentropys job is this idea ever gets used).

but 3 emu is still a big deal compared to fists. and then we allso have to take into consideration the long blade and the fact that it only cuts on so many sides :) (ok, im fishing here)

point is that the serpent is the top of the tops right now, in my view it should not be buyable over the counter but rather have a 10% drop chance from the strongest of monsters out there. so idont realy have a problem with it being light like that.

fists are most likely 0 (2 guesses why), 1 and 2 is for small weapons (maybe), 3 are for titanium, 4 for the smaller iron and steel swords, 7 for the big one. so fists get a nice and nasty speed bonus in combat and allso a nice ladder of improvement. hmm, i realy dont see the problem. the real problem with the serpent is how hard it is to get (not at all). allso, someone that carrys a serpent should kick ass, plain and simple. the speed thing only makes combat more interesting as the biggest sword may not allways win independent of skill :)

but all this is for nothing if entropy dont use the idea so my post above was just to see if i have finaly gotten what shadowknight was talking about.

The idea here is that it is another stat, and not necessarily based on weight. So weapons could be have damage, hit%, defense, and speed. I had the thought because you can only make weapons vary so much with 3 stats. You can have high damage and low hit, low damage and high hit, balanced, etc. after a while you run out of ways to make weapons unique. This new stat would allow them to vary more.

I think I'll also explain it a little more. Normally it's just you attack, he attacks, you attack, he attacks, which is unrealistic. My way, let's say you can attack every second. Your opponent can attack every 1.1 seconds, since you are slightly faster, you can get in an extra shot on him, which adds up in a long fight. As you level up, you are able to attack slightly faster, and soon enough you can be punching in a fury.

However, the only thing is is that this really unbalances the game, and lower level people won't stand a chance, not to mention all the work it would take to code. So i would make it so that you do less damage, to keep things even. Also, i would like to see a way, besides the gods, to focus on raising one skill. Aside from the run away trick for defense, all the skills raise at about the same level, and i would like to see a way to focus on one stat so you can be the fighter you want to be.