Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snorebum

New item -> Remote Viewing Orb (RVO)

I'd like to see this game have a kind of magic orb you could place somewhere, and then you could go elsewhere, and you could use a hotkey to view through orb, and even rotate the view.

I played, years ago, Descent II and it had an item like this, it called them beacons.

The idea is that you could place a few of these around, and you can see more of what is going on. I'm hunting Pumas right now, and would love to be able to place a couple of orbs in a couple of places, and cycle through views through them.

Even beyond hunting pumas, they might be cool on PK maps, or if you are on a monster map and want to know if something is comming from a certain area.

Maybe the orb could cost 2 plats, and expire after 15 minutes, and you could have a max of 4 deployed at one time (or max of 2). Maybe you should only be able to view through them as long as you are on the same map as them.

Other players can see the orb (a floating green crystal ball), as a kind of warning that somebody might be watching an area.

They might not sound that cool at first, but once you've tried them, you will find many uses for them (that is how it was in Descent II anyway).

I have no idea how this might fit into the current game code, but maybe you could reuse your player object in some way...

I was going to suggest a couple of magic spells along similar lines.

One would be "locate creature". When cast, the type of animal or monster would be named, and the current map would appear with a red "X" marking every location where the specified creature type (for example, Puma or Goblin) was at that instant (the X's would not move). Maybe it would require spirit essence and magic essence and would use sigils of knowledge, global, life.

The second one would be "clairvoyance". When cast, the character would be named, and the caster could see the named character (player character or maybe also NPC) in his/her environment and be able to rotate the camera view, but the camera would not move to follow the character and no additional location information would be displayed. This spell might change the nature of the currently popular "manhunt" contests, although not many would be able to use it. The character being spied upon should maybe get a message "you feel like you are being watched". Also, to limit the power of this spell somewhat, maybe it could only be cast in front of a crystal ball (on display in a magic shop), Maybe it would require spirit essence and magic essence and would use sigils of knowledge, life, global, space.

I also thought that the crystal balls, when viewed with the "look" icon should display advertisements for local NPC-run businesses.

I like these ideas its like telepost spell but for longer rang and would be great for doing something like collecting flowers from alot fo places and teleporting to storage to put them up and sorts of stuff.. i think its a great idea :P

The problem is your client doesn't have all the information about what is going on in game except right around you. Unless Entropy adds special code to send you more information, it won't happen. And tight now there are lots of other things he's working as well.