Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puntif

quest writing questions

Maybe this really belongs in the programming section but here goes:

I want to contribute by writing some quests and I had a couple of questions about what is possible or reasonable include in the quest:

1) can an NPC use a monster model instead of a character model?

2) can the quest remove the NPC? (this of course would only apply to the people who have gotten to this point in the quest - others would still see the NPC)

3) can the player's interaction with an inanimate object use an NPC dialog-like interaction? For example:

There is a small box with writing on it. There is a key in the keyhole of the box.

try to decipher the writing turn the key leave it alone

I may have additional questions later.

1. Yes, monster portraits are being made.

2. As far as I know, that is not possible.

3. Yes, inanimate object portraits are being made as well.

If you have anymore, just post here or PM me ingame or in the forums.

OK for the quest I'm working on I can get around #2 above by using the teleport option but that will require some additional map work - two very small rooms will do. I'll also have to add a bit of something to get the quest started - maybe an additional NPC.

OK for the quest I'm working on I can get around #2 above by using the teleport option but that will require some additional map work - two very small rooms will do.  I'll also have to add a bit of something to get the quest started - maybe an additional NPC.

179403[/snapback]

Sounds like youre putting a lot of work in this!

Im looking forward to seeing the result of your efforts :) Dont hesitate to pm me if you need any help.

*hugs*

Jez

1) can an NPC use a monster model instead of a character model?

179390[/snapback]

1. Yes, monster portraits are being made.

179393[/snapback]

Can you clarify this point -- I thought Puntif was asking as whether the NPC could be a monster type (eg, a goblin), using that 3D model; the answer refering to a portrait (2D image?).

My question: Can quests be written to be dynamic, so that each character to follow a quest gets a different 'path'? So, once one leg of a quest is completed, it is re-written (change target objects), so the next character cannot simply follow the previous one (ie, become 'walk throughs').

While I guess that this is not possible, it would not be infeasible to do.

My question:  Can quests be written to be dynamic, so that each character to follow a quest gets a different 'path'?  So, once one leg of a quest is completed, it is re-written (change target objects), so the next character cannot simply follow the previous one (ie, become 'walk throughs').

179496[/snapback]

yes, the quests are written in a scripting language, and you can set it up like this.

it does become more complicated to write, of course, but you can always make it so you have several legs of the quest proposal, each of which is an individual quest in the game.

somewhere on the forums there was a post about what triggers and all you can have, that might help here, I'll have a search for it shortly

edit: I skimmed storylines and my PMs, and I come back with two links 8^)

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14393 has some info from lyanna about triggers for quests (and other stuff). it may not be totally accurate, but it should be pretty close

and a link lyanna sent me about more generic(as in not just EL) quest writting, there's a lot of interest there

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=63

Edited by ttlanhil

My question: Can quests be written to be dynamic, so that each character to follow a quest gets a different 'path'? So, once one leg of a quest is completed, it is re-written (change target objects), so the next character cannot simply follow the previous one (ie, become 'walk throughs').

at this moment in time, this is not possible, however, as newer quests are written, there will be more than one way to complete it, and several paths to certain quests, leading to different things.