Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

Less jerky movement

Moves are updated each 250 ms - that is, 4 height map tiles per second.

Yes, I see your point - it should be possible; will ask Learner if he can implement it in his new pathfinding code.

169766[/snapback]

That would be in the code that calls the path finding code. Changing the timing to send the move command prior to needing it would be interesting. Has to be done so that you can't accidentally queue up too many commands onthe client. If you send them too far in advance you also risk two players standing in the same place while the server thinks they are next to each other.

That would be in the code that calls the path finding code. Changing the timing to send the move command prior to needing it would be interesting. Has to be done so that you can't accidentally queue up too many commands onthe client. If you send them too far in advance you also risk two players standing in the same place while the server thinks they are next to each other.

169770[/snapback]

Or you just include the time when the movement will happen in the message :ph34r:

Or you just include the time when the movement will happen in the message :ph34r:

170604[/snapback]

Then you need to have some sort of time sync between the two systems. One option is to always send one move ahead of where they will be, and then send the rest of the moves at the proper interval. There is still risk of characters overlapping, but not much since the client does have timing built into the movements.

Oh, sorry, I didn't expect you don't have time sync ... should be worth consideration shouldn't it? Using timestamps the server can work a little ahead if he has some spare time or bandwidth and doesn't get in a hurry that easily. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Sorry, but I had to split this off - I can forsee it getting a bit long, and in the way of the discussion in the other thread. :rolleyes:

Most MMORPGs calculate movement in advance. For example Dark Age of Camelot or Neocron2. Sometimes it looks a bit weird, cause characters seem to 'jump', but all in all it looks much better than the choppy movement we've got in EL.

Most MMORPGs calculate movement in advance. For example Dark Age of Camelot or Neocron2. Sometimes it looks a bit weird, cause characters seem to 'jump', but all in all it looks much better than the choppy movement we've got in EL.

171839[/snapback]

The choppy movement is given by the fact that the characters are updated/animated at only 17.5(I think) fps.