Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quinticus

Multiple accounts

Yeah I know moderatres can check this, but there reason for having it is for players to be about to see through scammers players (as they normally have 1 player who scammers then give the stuff to there other player) so they can see who there real player is, so maybe if you type #ip_check <playname> it tells you every play that has had the same ip address as that player, but it doesn't tell you there ip address cos this could be used for hackers

Yeah I know moderatres can check this, but there reason for having it is for players to be about to see through scammers players (as they normally have 1 player who scammers then give the stuff to there other player) so they can see who there real player is, so maybe if you type #ip_check <playname> it tells you every play that has had the same ip address as that player, but it doesn't tell you there ip address cos this could be used for hackers

169888[/snapback]

There is no guarantee for that, and besides that is what you have #abuse, #help_me and the moderators for :D

no mod's wont help you in tell you if spammers have other characters as scammers and bagjumpers aren't braking the rules so if they did tell you then I think they would be abusing there powers...........

Well no but wouldn't it be usful for player to be able to see that infomation? or do the mod and dev of this game like bag jumpers and scammers? they might not be braking rules ok, but they are annoying players and players would like to know not to deal with them again, but if they have another player they can't do this, so why not give players the power to see what other players have logged onto a player with that same ip address? I can't see any bad points about doing this, apart from spending time to code it

Kedan I really get your point, but you have to accept that there is the privacy of a player aswell.

And then remember, most people don't have static IPs. This means your IP changes everytime you start your internet connection. Some people share internet connections and therefor the IP.

So you can never be sure that two people, that used the same IP are the same person. I believe it's good that only mods have the power to get this information. If someone raises suspicion of breaking rules, they can start to investigate and get the story straight. Otherwise rumours and accusations would spread and that wouldn't help anyone.

with regards,

kl4Uz

So you can never be sure that two people, that used the same IP are the same person.

with regards,

kl4Uz

170244[/snapback]

well i sure as heck aint the same person as foncemerlin...im way cuter in the mornings

:blink: :lol: B)

Yeah well the whole point is scammers and bag jumpers aren't breaking the rules so mod wont help you, so the least they could do is give us some way to stop it, or some way to get back as scammers.

And I know that there are people that haven't got static IP addresses, but the chances of someone logging in from the same IP address as some1 else that have nothing to do with eachother are very small, and I know they could be family or friends or something if they use the same house, but then if there your friend your kind of reasonbable for them to.

I know this isn't a peffect way to stop scammers and bag jummpers, but it is the best way I can think of, if anyone else can think of a better way please post it, the only reason I am posting it is to stop the amount of scammers and bag jummpers (about half the people that play the game if not more)

Dialup players can easily overlap with others, and many DSL people that don't have always on connections can hop around to different IP's very easily from one time to the next.

Yeah i no its not a pefect suggestion but isn't it better than nothing? maybe it could also tell you the last time the other players logged on with the same IP that way if it was along time ago then they will know that they might not be the same person, or even that it only checks if they have been on with that IP address in the past week

Now, take into account what types of players EL gets, and thing of all the confused players that will complain about things and not realize they are jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Now, which do you think will cause more problems? It's a tough call.

Well they might complain but it's not breaking the rules to scam or bag jump so the mods wont do anything, this is for players that get scammed and to put the scammer on there blacklist so they don't get scammed or bag jumped by them again

Well they might complain but it's not breaking the rules to scam or bag jump so the mods wont do anything, this is for players that get scammed and to put the scammer on there blacklist so they don't get scammed or bag jumped by them again

170348[/snapback]

But the mods & the forums is where the complaints and problems will happen, so it needs to be considered. You will have a lot of people accepting that information as the truth and jumping to improper conclusions.

ok I see yout point, but isn't it better than having nothing? I cant think of a better way :S

170369[/snapback]

It's not like we do not have anything. You always have the oldfashioned detective-work. and then when/if you see something suspicious - post in outlaws.

Checking/comparing IPs should not be a player option for the following reasons:

1. possible abuse

2. player might get to the wrong conclusion

3. checking IPs is a technical thing and not much of a roleplaying thing.

ok, but is there anything else you can do to let people that have been bag jummpped or scammed do something back? because at the moment you can't really do anything, people make players go steal someones bag at storage, wait a day or so then give the stuff to there main player, and the person who got bag jumped is left thinking the character that bag jumped him is that person main character so they put that name on there blacklist, but then that character is never used again. It is to easy to bag jump and get away with it, thats why so many of the people that play this game do it, and if it carrys on and the devolpers don't do anything about it you are going to have the good players(the once that don't bag jump and would most likely be the people that would help in the devolpment of the game) leave so your just left with a commuity of bag jumpers, and I bet most of them won't even sign up to the forums because they don't care about the game as long as they can play it. You just have to ask yourself, is this what you want from a game you have spent years making?

edit: how do you stand about muli-attacking a player (from same IP)

i am sure its not in the rules.....maybe some clarification here plz

as people are being booted for this, i think its importand to have an answer

kedan it's your fault if you bagtrade. that's it. What you put in a bag is not your property anymore, that's the way it is.

even if you trade large amounts, bagtrading is a bad idea... and if you must do it, a crowded storage (ie all except TG) is a bad idea

Since this was originaly proposed 4 scammers let me propose a punishment 4 scamming. If a scam is solidly prooven , and is a major rip-off (eg scammed of a serp or pl8), make the scammer pkable ( groedius ate a pkable status from Rogue) for like a day.

yeah thats why there insant a punishment, but theres needs to be ways of stoping it, so mybe if you get off a bag you can make it so only a certain person can get on it, or that only your guild members can get on it, thy would stop bagjumpers

I was thinking a good way to stop those mm bag jumpers, Is to make mm require a certain level, like the old Alchemy cloak =) ah the days.... hehe

As for multiple chars, Its nearly impossible to prove if the person doing it has a "clue". EL can be tunneled over multiple protocals (stops before explaining to much)

P2P may cut this down a lot, As long as there are some serious advantages to it. (not a thermal serp or some ess lol) ie new maps that are p2p only. But it wont fix the issues for the people bag trading at raven.

Multiple people attacking one, From the same PC? Interesting, Didnt see a rule about that, Not that i could be stuffed leveling a few charictors to make it possible. Considering they arnt interacting with each other really, just the target, I carnt see it being to much of an issue.

Actually playing 2 chars at once would be a difficult task, Carnt see myself healing 2 chars in time lol. However, If this took place, you can always log the connection data,

And send it to a mod after. Healing 2 chars at the same time, Almost proves a macro heal.

I belive scaming should be against game rules, Even if its not enforced, Just to make a person think about it before trying it on. EL is one of the few games with a very strange dynamic, In that scamming/theift is incredibly common. There are several guilds dedicated to it.