Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scafativ

Named Bags

It would be nice if bags had an "owner property", which would hold the player name that created the bag. (Monster drops wouldn't have a name). The name would be displayed at the top of the bag inventory window.

The point of this is: It would make the return of death bags easier. It would enable mine bag finders to ask the owner if they're done w/ the remainder (I've seen a lot of good stuff go up in smoke), and it would also eliminate bag spam, because the perpertrator could be identified.

scafativ

I haven't looked at the code, but I'm nearly certain that you're wrong. If a bag can "remember" it's contents, it can remember a name. Bag inventory, name of bag creator- they're all just properties.

scafativ

This has been suggested before and I still love the idea. It should definetly be looked into.

Sounds like something that would just get even more people whining about "bag stealing".

Once you leave stuff on the ground, it belongs to nobody. Anything that makes it appear to belong to someone is a bad idea IMHO.

Sounds like something that would just get even more people whining about "bag stealing".

Once you leave stuff on the ground, it belongs to nobody. Anything that makes it appear to belong to someone is a bad idea IMHO.

I think on this occation the good will outwiegh the bad.

Ppl have always complained about bag stealing, this will make it no worse.

I perticularly like the idea of being able to track ppl who bag spam - it is of course agains the rules - and should be dealt with.

It would make us as players able to see if a person is taking a bag dropped by another player and then we can question it and help identify bag jumpers. Plus when there are a ton of bags I have a hard time finding the dead persons bag to bag sit this will help to find it before its jumped. Great Idea IMO

This would render void the loosing of items when dying. I'm not for this idea at all. I would much more encourage a total loss of items when dying. This would solve the bag-jumping issue once and for all :ph34r:

Ppl have always complained about bag stealing, this will make it no worse.

Yes it will. The people who whine about bag stealing are those who somehow got the idea that the bag was somehow theirs. Where they got it I don't know, but if the bag suddenly has a name, even more people will think the bag is theirs.

If you need it for checking bag-spamming, let it be available only to the mods.

I'm with Malaclypse on this one, when you die (except in PK), the items lost should just disappear forever. The bear doesn't need your items, so don't let them stay on the ground. This will also help counter the problems created by the infinite supply of ressources (and thus money/item), by providing an exit to balance things out.

Well, a good ideea is the name of the owner to stay only a time (let's say 3/4 of the bag life). After this time the name will dissapear and the bag will be "free".

I'm with Malaclypse on this one, when you die (except in PK), the items lost should just disappear forever. The bear doesn't need your items, so don't let them stay on the ground.

And it would finally make dieing a more severe event. ATM, dieing isn't something really bad when you can get the lost items back.

so pretty much power levelers are the only ones allowed to make money off of deathbags leeloo? :)

so pretty much power levelers are the only ones allowed to make money off of deathbags leeloo? :)

No, see it this way: People would only be able to make money from their own achievements, not other peoples bad luck.

Even rabbits leave death bags.

And it would finally make dieing a more severe event. ATM, dieing isn't something really bad when you can get the lost items back.

Well, speaking from my limited experience (Maybe a dozen deaths) I'd say I get my stuff back at best 50% of the time when I die.

Which is the main reason I try really really hard not to die of course. :(

Hehe, seems I've not yet reached the skills to train in regions attractive for bagjumpers, since I've lost my items only two times since I've started playing (SK and Diamond Mine). :) Anyway, if the chance of losing an item in non-PK would be lowered, it wouldn't make much of a difference if the items are always lost. Ok, no more running for your death bag, no more bag jumping, maybe that would kill all the fun for some players :(

With regards

Lachesis

Having started this thread, I will weigh in again.

Some of you seem to think that I suggested that the name create "ownership". Not at all- it merely reflects who created the bag. Bag jumpers can still jump like they do now, and death-bag collectors can still collect like they do now. Only two thinks change:

1) Bag returners (those so inclined) are better able to return.

2) Bag spammers will be stopped in their, well, bag tracks.

It doesn't create bag ownership, and doesn't change any rules. It merely faciliates an action that is well within the spirit of the game (bag returning), and, for all practical purposes, ends a practice that is against the rules, but continues to occur.

scafativ

Wrong. It will increase the number of whiners, simply because the name makes people *believe* there is some kind of ownership. Yes, there are people who believe this today. But making it look like it's true will make even more of them.

You could look at both sides of that.

Even more complaining

or..

Easier to find the bags and knowing who jumped the bag if you saw it.

so i think since it isn't in the game right now it is better left un done

I want to clarify my original intent.

The name would be in the bag, not on it. You could't see the name until you stood on the bag- the name would appear at the top of the bag inventory.

We do not need names floating over every bag- the name polution is bad enough in the storage areas that permit manu!

Whats the point of having the names in the bag? if someone were to die it will tell you the name on the screen, and if you didnt see the name just ask on the newbie channel or market channel. Simple as that, we dont need to take all the coding and hassle to getting the name in the bag. I will disagree with this topic