Eternal Lands Official Forums
hhip

storage level trading

Maybe it's been suggested before, but i couldnt find it.

I would find it great if one could trade at the level of the storage, that is trade content of each other's storage instead of inventory. It would allow much easier trading of large quantities of item, esp. items that are not stackable. Maybe this could be done only near storages, or at a special market place... But I see no reason not to let ppl do it anywhere really...

Let me know what u ppl thk of it and keep up the good work!! :P

Not a bad idea, but that could be abused extensively.

Think of this:

Scammer1 whose been playing for months wants to create a new char and copy the items across (technically against the rules)

Scammer1_newchar logs on on both ips, and storage trades.

Potentially, this could break the rules.

ok, but scammer1 will do that if he wants to somehow, even without this feature... I think it's stupid not to implement feature that would be convenient for everybody just so it's inconvenient for scammers too...

Edited by hhip

ok, but scammer1 will do that if he wants to somehow, even without this feature

Yes, but the rules are there to discourage it, thats my point. Trading between two characters you own (i.e. scammer1 and scammer1_newchar are owned and played by the same person), is illegal.

i got that... but you know as well as me that the only way of keeping scammers and cheater from acting badly is not to make the game in the first place. So, if some feature would be convenient for 99% of honest people but might help the remaining 1% of cheaters, let's implement it! That's democracy ;-)

Seriously, maybe something can be done to avoid problems. For example, some evaluation of value of what's being traded could be done, and there could be a limit on the difference. Simply put, it would be forbidden to trade something for something else that is worth more than twice or less that half of the value. By keeping the range wide, we let some economy take place (with market values possibly fluctuating, etc), but you keep the transfer of lots of thing from one character to the other... Also, for people like me that want to collaborate closely with someone else (like my roommate - i'm more of a harvester/manufacturer and he's more of an alchemist/potion/magic, and we need to transfer lots of resources back and forth), we just can have some amount of cash we use to pass things from one player to the other. The bigger the cash reserve, the largest quantity of stuff we can pass, but still ensuring that the global, long-term value of stuff passed is more or less balanced.

Of course, this causes the problem of giving a value to things. That can be done this way:

1) things that can be sold to NPC already have a value. Let's use this.

2) by making some large-scale statistics on what's being trade, a value could be computed for things that dont have a "NPC value"... this would reinforce the "market" side of the game in a nice way...

And: why not, after all, publishing those computed values, let 'em fluctuate, etc, etc, thus creating a real dynamic economy?

OK. Things are going kinda offtopic regarding the original issue, but i still think that some good can be made in this area, and i'd be glad to discuss more.

ok, but scammer1 will do that if he wants to somehow, even without this feature

Yes, but the rules are there to discourage it, thats my point. Trading between two characters you own (i.e. scammer1 and scammer1_newchar are owned and played by the same person), is illegal.

According to this (see below) it is no longer illegal:

Roja Posted on Feb 17 2005, 02:47 AM 

Group: Admin

Member No.: 4

Ok, final decision is in.

You can trade with others from the same IP without being punished.

We will be making it harder to get negative perks, so you won't be able to just load up a character with attributes to be used as a mule...well you can do that, but you'd have to spend hours leveling up that character to get those extra perks. They will no longer all be offered from level 0.

its no longer illegal to trade from same IP, but if you're caught beign the same person (some way), that's still illegal (i think) :P