Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest linucksguy

Purple Lightning FLashes

Guest linucksguy

I am getting funny colors on my screen. It is constantly flashing, the snow turning purple and yellow. The maps, animatons and whatnot seem to render fine, however, the constant shift in color is makin my eyes hurt. Any suggestions?

Guest linucksguy

Yes, I am using the ATI drivers, but this is only happening when it is night in the game. Will look at the DRI tomorrow. Thanks for the fast response LeeLoo

Broms note: If using Linux, dont use ATI...its that easy ;) at least not yet.

Broms note: If using Linux, dont use ATI...its that easy ;) at least not yet.

I hope you mean ATI drivers and not ATI cards. Since ATI cards (up to Radeon 9250) are just about the only cards left with a working open source 3D driver. Matrox is out of the picture, unless you can make do with a G450 (possibly G550?), and nVidia was never a possibility.

I just noticed Leelo likes ATI ;) and has done the proper research, hats off to you.

Guest linucksguy

I know iNvidia draws more beautifully, but I also, like the fact that ATI is highly supported under Linux. And for the $, you can't beat some of the ATI chipset based cards.

Anyway, I have narrowed it down to the "dusk, dark, & twilight hours" ingame that do not render properly, I was able to reduce the flashing and strobing significant amount by 1.Changing my display to 32bpp and 2. Turning off Clouds and Shadows from the options menu.

I am, however having a problem with the game freezing my computer completely. I can't as of yet tell what's causing it and was wondering how to dump the crash errors to a file that may help me figure what was going on. Ctrl,C Ctrl,Alt,Bkspc and Ctrl,Alt,Del seem to do nothing when it does freeze so this is pertinent to the problem at hand.

Edited by linucksguy

I am, however having a problem with the game freezing my computer completely. I can't as of yet tell what's causing it and was wondering how to dump the crash errors to a file that may help me figure what was going on. Ctrl,C Ctrl,Alt,Bkspc and Ctrl,Alt,Del seem to do nothing when it does freeze so this is pertinent to the problem at hand.

I'm having this problem too. But I think at least in my case it is due to overheating. I got it after switching to a new case, for which I have no fitting fans. EL is using all the CPU time it can get. If I switch to another desktop, it uses less, so I can keep playing as long as I want. But that is just a workaround until I find the time to buy and install some new fans.

Overheating can do all kinds of strange things, so that can never be ruled out.

Judging from what I hear, ATI binary drivers are not very good, even worse than the nVidia binary drivers. But I haven't personally tried either, I don't want binary software running in kernel mode. You just can't trust a company that hides what they are doing.

Oh, and btw, X.org 6.8.1 (newest) is what you want, at least for a Radeon 9200 or 9250. Older versions have some problems with the 3D driver.

am, however having a problem with the game freezing my computer completely. I can't as of yet tell what's causing it and was wondering how to dump the crash errors to a file that may help me figure what was going on. Ctrl,C Ctrl,Alt,Bkspc and Ctrl,Alt,Del seem to do nothing when it does freeze so this is pertinent to the problem at hand.

I had similar problems when running on an ATI card through Madrake (XFree). It would freeze the computer completely and would often crash the client (if im lucky) complaining about the drivers.

I was unable to fix the error, but I was lucky enough to buy a new machine. Could this not be a problem with your X window manager? (Xfree/Xorg?)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this