Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sviten

El Crashes Latest X.org

If you don't use Gentoo, you can disregard this I think. This is sort of an FYI since I don't think it's EL's fault (though EL could handle crashes better).

I just did an emerge --sync; emerge -u world on my Gentoo box (for you non-Gentoo Linux users, that essentially brings all of the software up to date). One of the packages updated was X.org from 6.7 to 6.8. Now EL will not run. In fact, it causes X to restart. I backdated my X to 6.7 and EL works again. This happens for both EL 1.0.0 and EL CVS as of Jan 3rd.

I've posted a Gentoo bug, but you should be aware of this since EL leaves no logging information with this crash (even with -DDEBUG in the makefile).

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76587

Do you have NVidia drivers installed?

Regards.

Hmm, it works fine here with 6.8.0 and Gentoo (AMD64 however). Did you remember to rebuild your CVS? If you use the nVIDIA or ATI and not xorg glx, you should also rebuild that.

Edited by Wytter

Yes, I think he didn't re-compiled his graphic card driver after upgrading X.

Regards.

Yah, you guys hit the nail on the head...but sideways. I have ATi drivers for a Radeon 9500 (and a 9700 Mobility on my laptop), but they are known not to work with Xorg 6.8. So I learned that. Bug resolved.

I think ATI are going to release some new linux drivers during this month. Then you can upgrade to xorg-6.8 :D

I think ATI are going to release some new linux drivers during this month. Then you can upgrade to xorg-6.8 :)

Yeah right, and pigs can fly :D

Seriously, if they do release them, are they going to be worthwhile? I wonder if my old Rage ATI 128 pro will be supported? :D

And what about compatibility with XFree?(my mdk server is old and still running XFree)

Don't expect too much from ATI. nVIDIA is ~2½ years ahead of them in terms of driver development for Linux. Be glad if it's stable and working on your chipset and kernel version.

nVIDIA is ~2½ years ahead of them in terms of driver development for Linux.

Exactly. Which is why I chose nVidia on my laptop.