Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Make A Continent Map Show!

Can someone help us so we can have a continent map in the game? It will show when you press TAB twice, or press the map icon twice(first time is the map your in like how it works now)...OR, there can be an icon you have to press in the first map screen, in the black border area around the map.

I'd also like it if you can make it possible to write stuff in that black area around the map? So that we can have a map legend, describing what each color dot means.

For the continent map, it does not have to show your exact location or anything...btu if you realyl want to do something, they just have an X by the map you are in, not your exact coordinates in that map(i mean if you really want to, sure go for it! but It's not necessary :D) Anyway, it would be enough just to have the continent map in the game.

here is the link for the map:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/misc/seridia.zip

I'll have that done in a minute.

Hrm, it should be quite quick... I'll hack it in an existing function, then write it's own interface mode.

K, it's working now :D ...now I'm just filling in diff map coords.

Edited by crusadingknight

One thing: it might be a bit annoying if you have to press Tab two times to get out of map mode when you only want to look at the "local" map (with the first Tab bringing up the continent map). Maybe an extra icon in the local map would be better.

What about tab just be reserved for local and Right clicking the map button on the bottom brings up continent?

What about tab just be reserved for local and Right clicking the map button on the bottom brings up continent?

That might be confusing. Especially if you're new, you won't know that right clicking brings up the continent map.

Maybe Ctrl+Tab could be used.

Just Put text into the default maps like "Press Control Tab for World View"

Text should be put into the clientside of the map view, not the map itself.

K, that'll be easy enough, right now it's F12 in the testing client, so it'll be easy enough to change.

Continent Map is pretty much done, I just need to hardcode the pos. for diff maps.

Hrm, as for the legend...you mean hard-coded? Loaded from a file? I can probably draw it, if you can tell me what you wantme to draw it from.

Well I was thinking of having it hard coded and just in text...but draw something? Well I can make an image to go there, but does it have to be a square? :D

It'll look better if it's a nice image to match the map, on the side, so I'll do that. Also can we do the icon for the cont. map?

Continent button may appear on hud when you are in map mode.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

I'll just draw the legend in colored text for now... When I finish mapping locations (just got home again, only 12 maps to go, so not long), I'll stick the map icon in, and modify it for the real icon later.

As for the hud, it's already overused, but there is, and since the legend goes on the right, nothing on the left side of the map. Thus, that's where I believe the continent button should go.

As for the hud, it's already overused, but there is, and since the legend goes on the right, nothing on the left side of the map. Thus, that's where I believe the continent button should go.

I agree, not only will it save a button on an already crowded hud, I also think it would look better there.

There... I'm done. (The continent map). Just out of curiosity, are there any major (outside) maps which lead to minor (inside maps) which are located geographically on another major map? If not, then I can discard the || !strcmp(), etc, since you you remain on the same major map when changint to minor ones.

What I have done so far, (no button, F12 brings up continent, no legend), I've made the patch, and posted it on http://rootshell.be/~bremac/continent.diff

(This counts on you having Roja's seridia map in $ELFOLDER [ie. it should be C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\maps\seridia.bmp on Windows...and linux users

know what I mean]) Otherwise, it will, of course, report the map missing.

If a couple people could start using this, that would be great, as I may have made some

typos in the code, and I don't have time to visit every map :D

I'll take a break for a while and go do my job in-game... I'll get to work on the legend and button later today.

Just thinking... When (since it seems like it wouldn't take too much) a more absolute position on the map is represented, then the little x makes sense... but what color should it be changed to to show up in the meantime? Made larger? Or stay the same?

Yes I'd like the continent button to go in the black part of the map mode, that's what I stated at first :D In fact you can just use the same map icon we already use on the HUD... and also make a mouse over text "Continent map"?

I'd like to test this, is it in the CVS so I can compile it or what? I'm not familiar with this stuff..what is a .diff file?

Yes I'd like the continent button to go in the black part of the map mode, that's what I stated at first :D In fact you can just use the same map icon we already use on the HUD... and also make a mouse over text "Continent map"?

I'd like to test this, is it in the CVS so I can compile it or what? I'm not familiar with this stuff..what is a .diff file?

erm, it's applied with patch -i continent.diff to the source... Hold on, I'll build a executable. (Just the binary - for those of you who don't have an up-to-date EL directory, you'll need to update.)

Executable URL (fixed): http://rootshell.be/~bremac/EL.zip

Edit: Uh oh...it seems we already have the max. amount of icons? Maybe I'm wrong here...

Edit: Uh oh...it seems we already have the max. amount of icons? Maybe I'm wrong here...

You're wrong. Currently you can have 25 icons. Just add it to the icons_list and then set the placement using the set_icon_order call in init_peace_icons. Tell me if you don't know how to do this, then I'll do it for you :D

Edited by Wytter

Right you are...I seem to have mis-interpreted a section of the icon loading code. :)\

I think I'll draw my own stand-in for now, so I don't miss anything (on how to do it).

OK, I drew it on the hud :) ... much easier, and there was that one space, and it looks good beside the other map icon... I can change this if it's a large problem.

OK... updated the diff and the binary to use the 2 icons placed to the right of the map icons in gamebuttons.bmp . So a good graphic would be nice. :)

Did you add the continent icon on the bottom of the screen with all the other icons? I don't want it to go there cause we might need that extra space for a more important icon. Can you place the cont. map icon on the black part of the screen in the map window like i asked originally? Just put it in the left bottom corner, and add a mouse over "continent map", if possible.

If this is not possible, the just add some text on the left side of the screen, "Press [hotkey] for the continent map!"

Did you add the continent icon on the bottom of the screen with all the other icons? I don't want it to go there cause we might need that extra space for a more important icon. Can you place the cont. map icon on the black part of the screen in the map window like i asked originally? Just put it in the left bottom corner, and add a mouse over "continent map", if possible.

If this is not possible, the just add some text on the left side of the screen, "Press [hotkey] for the continent map!"

Lol, it'll take extra time, but it shall be done as you say. :)

...So I may not be on EL for a short while. :)

Erk, that icon needs a GL Programmer...but until someone does it, I'll keep trying.

Just use draw_2d_thing and draw it at coordinates next to the map (draw_game_map)... It is not that difficult. To have an on-mouse-click, create a new function that also calls pf_move_to_mouse_position.

Edited by Wytter

Just use draw_2d_thing and draw it at coordinates next to the map (draw_game_map)...  It is not that difficult. To have an on-mouse-over, create a new function that also calls pf_move_to_mouse_position.

Done that, that's what the problem was. Even after setting the GL stuff up so it would work (glPush, glEnable, disable, etc.) it came out distended, 4 times as large, and half there. :D

..WHich I found bizarre, since I though only the _map was 4 times as large :blink:

Done that, that's what the problem was. Even after setting the GL stuff up so it would work (glPush, glEnable, disable, etc.) it came out distended, 4 times as large, and half there. :D

Did you do it before or after glOrtho?