Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kami

Too Much "chance"!

So basically you want the game to be easier for you...

No, what I want is to at least have the Illusion That I'm progressing in some way! Having 37 in Alchemy and still failing at the same rate as if I was level 7, I just feel like I'm trying to push against a Brick wall.

This chance is a good thing. It keeps more money and items out of the game.

Oh, And this current system REALLY does a good job of doing that, Right! If you really wanted to do that, Take out Trik or elimanate Fur gloves entirely. It'll basicly give Manufacturing the exact the same handy-cap Alchemy has.

Geez. For as many hundred ways you can inprove the system, you insist on trying to keep the Dying alive! Oh, just forget it. We all know this whole arguement is going to become moot anyway as soon as it's all changed again anyway.

I can understand his argument... What he is asking, is that if you have a 35% chance of success, you should succeed 35% of the time... Personnally, I don't like randomness at all (I think the skills should be player based), but if there is randomness, it makes sense for it to be random, and that means that a 35% chance of success does not succeed exactly 35% of the time...

I couldn't even get 5 Iron bars done...
and
No, what I want is to at least have the Illusion That I'm progressing in some way! Having 37 in Alchemy and still failing at the same rate as if I was level 7, I just feel like I'm trying to push against a Brick wall.

I didn't try to make iron bars at level 7, but i'm sure that my failure rate for making them, now at level 36, is incredibly much lower than at level 7

Oh, And this current system REALLY does a good job of doing that, Right!

It doesn't do a really good job, but IMHO it does a way better job, then the old system behaviour, where someone could easily flood the market with high level stuff.

Progression is in many cases a slow process. Why not accept this in the game, as you have to accept it IRL? If you go to university today and start studying, you won't be a professor in a just a couple of month. Instead you will have to learn for lots and lots of years, gathering new experiences all the time and having at least as much failures and frustation as you will have success. That's in other words around 50% of failure, and therefore it's a higher fail rate than in EL.

Maybe you had a really bad day when you wrote your initial posting. This can easily warp your perception in a way where you think you fail always. That's normal. I would recommend you to write down how much you fail and how much you succeed. Not only for a few hours, but rather for at least one week, but preferrably several weeks. This way you will get a more complete picture of the whole failure/success point and I'm quite sure that you will realize how high your success rate actually is, no matter how your illusion of the fail rate is. Btw, I can think of another way to give you the illusion you are asking so badly for. How about you change your client, catch all the failure message from server and change some of them to display as a successful tries? You can decide how much of them you will display as successful yourself. I'm sure you will get a very good illusion of yourself progressing very fast :)

I couldn't even get 5 Iron bars done...
and

I didn't try to make iron bars at level 7, but i'm sure that my failure rate for making them, now at level 36, is incredibly much lower than at level 7

Well, I was just using that as an example. I mean IF I was level 7 and IF I was to try making Iron bars.

Oh, And this current system REALLY does a good job of doing that, Right!

It doesn't do a really good job, but IMHO it does a way better job, then the old system behaviour, where someone could easily flood the market with high level stuff.

Well, within reason. But honestly, it's still totally out of wack! I mean, I was around back when any newbie and their dog could get a Serpent sword on their first day playing! But I was in VOTD last night listening to players talking about the prices of swords and armor and it still amazes me as to ow much the system is, at the very least, "Askewed"!

Progression is in many cases a slow process. Why not accept this in the game, as you have to accept it IRL? If you go to university today and start studying, you won't be a professor in a just a couple of month. Instead you will have to learn for lots and lots of years, gathering new experiences all the time and having at least as much failures and frustation as you will have success. That's in other words around 50% of failure, and therefore it's a higher fail rate than in EL.

Problem with that theory is that, in the life of a "Professor" (as in your example), The hard work comes not from "Random events" but rather from the continous struggle of growth itself. Things contentiously change, You must learn more and More everyday just to keep up with life. The only reason that the long struggle is there is because you never stop growing and learning, only so later down the road you'll be ready for the next challenge. This stands for all of Real life.

The major difference between Real Life and this game isthat That constant challenge isn't actually there. Because of all of the "Randomness" you're forever held back by the games "Handcaps" and the real challenge is just outside of your reach all because this game doesn't actually have the ever present challenge that you have in real life. It has certain perset Points to achieve and then it tries to hold you back from those Points for as long as possible. In this game, Everyone has a Goal. They imagine the Pot 'o Gold at the end of the rainbow so they try for that. In real life, It's all about the Journy, not whats at the end. In life, you can keep going and going and going and, so long as you keep trying, you're always advancing in leaps and bounds (although, sometimes it doesn't feel that way. That's way people forget to keep going). Sure, you may trip and stumble along the way but you just have to remember to pick yourself up and keep going.

Alright, now I really am just rambling. I'm starting to sound like an After School Special. O'Well. I just don't like the "Feel" of the game. There's no feeling of Achievement in the game. There are brief moments when you finally do something (like your first Garg or you managed to make a Serpent Sword) but they're fleeting and, in the end, they don't really mean anything. You're just struggling to get by until that next Brief Moment of Achievement that passes very quickly and then your back down to the gritty Grind of the day, Working to tail off for no real thanks or gratitude from anyone. No one even knows or cares that you break your back for them but then the moment you get a moment to yourself, you're thought insensitive or selfish and your time is once again demanded of you.

Well. That was not what I tended. You'd be surprised what comes out when your just mindly typing.

Maybe you had a really bad day when you wrote your initial posting. This can easily warp your perception in a way where you think you fail always.

You know what. I'm thinking you might be right. I suppose to be playing this game to forget about real life and look at me. You know what, just take my words as from a stressed out man.

But really, we do need a "better" system then this. Take that as however you want.

I can understand his argument... What he is asking, is that if you have a 35% chance of success, you should succeed 35% of the time... Personnally, I don't like randomness at all (I think the skills should be player based), but if there is randomness, it makes sense for it to be random, and that means that a 35% chance of success does not succeed exactly 35% of the time...

Randomness CAN work in your favor, you know. Even after the tweaking, I did manage to make 2500 titanium bars without even so much as a regular "failure" message (where you don't lose items).

It is just luck: maybe you guys should start trying to improve your luck B) (try helping others out or something).

Alright, now I really am just rambling. I'm starting to sound like an After School Special. O'Well. I just don't like the "Feel" of the game. There's no feeling of Achievement in the game. There are brief moments when you finally do something (like your first Garg or you managed to make a Serpent Sword) but they're fleeting and, in the end, they don't really mean anything. You're just struggling to get by until that next Brief Moment of Achievement that passes very quickly and then your back down to the gritty Grind of the day, Working to tail off for no real thanks or gratitude from anyone. No one even knows or cares that you break your back for them but then the moment you get a moment to yourself, you're thought insensitive or selfish and your time is once again demanded of you.

This sounds strangly familair. Ever play this game called "life"?

Alright, now I really am just rambling. I'm starting to sound like an After School Special. O'Well. I just don't like the "Feel" of the game. There's no feeling of Achievement in the game. There are brief moments when you finally do something (like your first Garg or you managed to make a Serpent Sword) but they're fleeting and, in the end, they don't really mean anything. You're just  struggling to get by until that next Brief Moment of Achievement that passes very quickly and then your back down to the gritty Grind of the day, Working to tail off for no real thanks or gratitude from anyone. No one even knows or cares that you break your back for them but then the moment you get a moment to yourself, you're thought insensitive or selfish and your time is once again demanded of you.

This sounds strangly familair. Ever play this game called "life"?

Conways? Nah, but I love to watch the screen savers.

Edited by Grum