Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
freeone3000

Downloads

well im on 56k and i have low memory, it took me over 4 hours to download EL, and EL is the only mmorpg i play because all the others (exp. Priston Tale, Conqure online) takes me 27-38 hours to download and i only keep my connection alittle over 4 hours so i got lucky with el

Is there any way to speed up download time, short of getting a diffrent ISP or changing the OS? Takes me 25 hours to download linux.

1. How fast is your connection?

2. How big is the file you are trying to download?

If you are trying to download a 4GB DVD image over a modem, expect something in the range of 250 hours.

Edited by Leeloo

Connection is 11 MBS wireless network on a 100MBS modem.

File size is 638 MB.

Shouldn't I get this in 1 minute?

and what is the modem connected to??

And to answer the question asked... Flashget!!! (google it)

Connection is 11 MBS wireless network on a 100MBS modem.

File size is 638 MB.

Shouldn't I get this in 1 minute?

No. File sizes are megabytes, network speeds are megabits. So, multiply the number with 10 (8 + overhead) to get a realistic number. And, for wireless, you should probably mutiply the result by two - wireless is generally only the specified speed in best case situations (no walls, short distance, nice weather, down hill both ways).

So I'd say 10-20 minutes.

What kind of connection do you have? 100 mbit is a bit high outside of a LAN, we have 45 mbit for the whole company, and that's a fiber connection.

The orange light over 100MBS on the DSL modem comes on every time I download something. The wireless is what slows it down. I get 25 hours instead of 10 to 20 minutes, like you said. I am running no applications in the background and I antispywared last week.

Edited by freeone3000

The orange light over 100MBS on the DSL modem comes on every time I download something.

Would the 100Mbit light be the one that indicates LAN speed?

ADSL max is 8 Mbit, SHDSL and others are a bit faster, but AFAIK you are not going to get anywhere near 100 Mbit on anything *DSL. Otoh, if you were talking about OC-* or an ethernet connection, you'd be able to get higher speeds.

I'd assume you were on a standard DSL package freeone, which means your connected between 512Kbps (KiloBITS per second) and anything up to 8Mbps (as Leloo said, is the maximum DSL modem speed).

Ethernet would be your local network, wireless 11MBps is also local in your case.

And of course, your download rate is dependant on the speed the server your downloading from is giving you. On ADSL, this is typically between 0 and 100Kbps.

In other words, what is your internet connection speed?

Which I asked earlier, when I asked what the modem was connected to...

But no matter how fast your connection is, Flashget is a good program...

Which I asked earlier, when I asked what the modem was connected to...

But no matter how fast your connection is, Flashget is a good program...

Actually, you asked "What is your modem connected to?" which, if we're going to be pedantic, means its connected to a phone line.

Therefore, if your gonna be pedantic, you didnt actually ask that earlier.

:)

The orange light over 100MBS on the DSL modem comes on every time I download something. The wireless is what slows it down. I get 25 hours instead of 10 to 20 minutes, like you said. I am running no applications in the background and I antispywared last week.

A quick fix for people that use wireless and are trying to download large files is to just plug your dsl line right into your 10/100. Yeah it kinda blows to have to do it but it saves me allot of time.

What is a 10/100?

Okay, assuming I get 5.5 KBS the entire download, it would still take 19 and 1/3 hours.

Erm... so you have a _56.6 KBps_ modem!? :D

What is a 10/100?

Okay, assuming I get 5.5 KBps the entire download, it would still take 19 and 1/3 hours.

Freeone what I ment was instead of using a wireless router plug you dsl line right into your computer.

What is a 10/100?

Okay, assuming I get 5.5 KBps the entire download, it would still take 19 and 1/3 hours.

Freeone what I ment was instead of using a wireless router plug you dsl line right into your computer.

I don't have a 20 foot erthernet cable.

Cat 5 cables are all the same. A cross over is just ordering the cords a different way. A regular ordered cable would most likely be ordered orange stripe, orange, green stripe, blue, blue stripe, green, brown stripe, brown on both ends.

On a cross over cable, the wires are ordered with one end regular but the other end has the order green stripe, green, orange stipe, blue, blue stripe, orange, brown stripe, brown.

What is a 10/100?

Okay, assuming I get 5.5 KBS the entire download, it would still take 19 and 1/3 hours.

Erm... so you have a _56.6 KBps_ modem!? :)

I do, an it still only takes me about 6 hours to download 200MB :)

MUAHAHAHAHA, I love cable modems :D

On a good comp day (my comp is s2pid) It takes about 10-20 minutes to download 600+ MB download file on a bad day... You don't want to know how long it takes...

Edited by Aerowind