Lyanna's Lectures

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ttlanhil

ttlanhil

Bear

• Members
  • 5155 posts
  • Interests:pineapples, programming, and EL 8^)

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:38 PM

the whole interactivity and dynamic nature thing is hard to do, because that requires huge amounts of code, and you have to be prepared in advance.
being able to respond to certain changes is hard enough, but making it properly dynamic so you can make a large range, while certainy worthwhile in the end, is a huge amount of work (but imagine holy wars using large amounts of magic... scorched ground in the places spells were cast, sword fragments on the ground, tracks worn in the grass where the army marched... grass slowly grows back over the following weeks... hard, but it'd be cool)
there are simpler starts, though, and this is why I'm so keen about getting an in-game newpaper going, people can read about changes to the world that the players are making... not just the top level ones either, so anyone can have an impact on the game world

as lachesis pointed out, this is a lot harder to do in a non-epic multiplayer game (those where you have several players still working from start point through mid points to end point is not much harder)... and the fact that you can't really do epic feats, become a god at the end of the game(s) (baldurs gate), have saved the world from an undead sorcerer(arcanum), etc... limits the progression(we only have levels and maybe guilds in that), and the goals a player can have

having the game truely able to react to whatever players do (within reasonable limits) in a free-play MMOG is something that I doubt many have managed to do (I know of none, but then, I haven't played many MMOGs)
I'd love to see EL go this way

ed: woah. I wrote a novel again. seems I get excited about this idea :mace:

#22 Lachesis

Lachesis

Not a troll

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

No need to make it difficult. The "changes" to the game world can be local to the involved players and rather invisible, like in current quests. No need to implement a fully generic quest system, each quest can be hard-coded as much as it makes sense. You can have faith in us programmers to choose one of the cheapest (effort/benefit ratio) solutions :P

#23 ttlanhil

ttlanhil

Bear

• Members
  • 5155 posts
  • Interests:pineapples, programming, and EL 8^)

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

No need to make it difficult. The "changes" to the game world can be local to the involved players and rather invisible, like in current quests.

View Post

true... but then you're not getting the true impact on the game world anymore, where you can see how the game changed in the last week and say "hey. I was involved in that part!" and have it continue to change as time goes on

yes, I know there's easier ways. and coders tend to find them. I'm just dreaming big :P

#24 Lyanna

Lyanna

Puma

• Members
  • 1443 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

Interestingly enough, a recent Gamasutra article came out from this year's GDC talking about the same points that I brought up four years ago. Writing for MMOs: You're doing it wrong! Nice to finally see some industry validation, four years later. (Actually, the problem and solution has been obvious for quite some time... the issue is that not many developers have dared to implement it until now.)

-Lyn-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users