Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Bellsouth Canada.

If there came time to forgive NeXt for his crime so why not forgive Bellsouth Canada and not unban

these poor people? Most of them are kidds so they can't do much about their internet connection,

maybe they parents can but what they should say them? "Mom go raise hell in Bellsouth Canada because

I can't place nice game I've found on the internet"? Most abuse response teams in various ISP ARE

idiots and I don't think so if anyone of us can do something with this.

Since there are alot of threads from Bellsouth Canada isn't it pain in the... to answering all the time the

same and deal with it? I suggest setting a charackter creation ban and see what will happen...

Regards.

Because Next fucked up ONCE, so he got another chance. The abuse from BSC kept on for MONTHS! There is no way in hell I will unban that ISP until I get an e-mail from their abuse team, promising me that they will be more responsive, and desire to cooperate.

What exactly had been done? I mean what abuse?

Regards.

Hmz maybe it is me but seems that charackter creation ban should solve problem...

About password stealing, there was useful topic on general chat by Learner, where I also included some

useful things about passwords security, also Learner and me are broadcasting infomations how to secure

yourself in game so I think it can solve problems with unsecure passwords, ask Learner how many password

changes are made after our messages. ;-)

Regards.

Hmz maybe it is me but seems that charackter creation ban should solve problem...

It does, unless someone is using trojans, which is the case here. That's when I upgraded the creation ban into a full ban.

There were using trojans for what?

Regards.

Which one? I only can read they were using trojans, so I am asking what was purpose of these...

Regards.

No idea?

If you suggest that they were using trojans to create charackters (using proxies?) so why now they

can't use proxy to play a game? I thought server is not accepting connections from addresses where

is open proxy running at. So that ban still only hurts innocents because if idiots will want abuse they

will unless you will ban all ISPs on the world.

Regards.

Erm, teh banned 0n3na i'm guessing using trojan to get past character creation ban can only mean one thing: password stealing (probably using some keylogger or by sniffing packets since login is so simple).

Anyway i think the recent addition of a white list in addition to the black one should solve most of the problems. Unless a person is unlucky enough to find himself in the same C class adress space with someone that tried to evade a ban and has a dynamic ip, it should be easy enough to allow him acess, right ?

They can create a character through the trojans and they can also steal the passwords of other players etc...

If they did't just go through the trojan but used the computer to make the characters the proxy ban thing doesn't exactly work.

My point is: warn people to take care about their passwords, then no one will steal it also ban is not

sufficient to prevent them from connecting to server because they can use proxies so that ban only

hurts people who don't know how to use proxy to connect to server.

Regards.

My point is: warn people to take care about their passwords, then no one will steal it also ban is not

sufficient to prevent them from connecting to server because they can use proxies so that ban only

hurts people who don't know how to use proxy to connect to server.

Regards.

Yeah? And how exactly would I do that?

You mean warning about weak passwords and stuff? Learner and me are doing it, and since that I know

from Learner it works very fine - people started change their password to some decent combinations.

It should minimize cases of stealing passwords from players.

Look at these people, they has no idea what a proxy is, they found nice game on the internet and they

can't play, they might become valuable members of our community in the future but they wont because

of some script kiddie who, if he would want to connect he would do it anyway using open proxy which

we have plenty on the internet.

Regards.

#bc? ;-)

There is alot of ways to not get trojan, like software which removes that crap, more secure browsers

(ok, any browser which can't execute remote code like Opera), and MAINLY do not clicking OK on

every window you will see during browsing the Internet. And that security anouncements would help

alot people not only in case of Bellsouth Canada because, for example, now banned abusers can infect

players from other ISPs with trojans and in this case only banning all ISPs could solve the problem,

because banned abuser can infect person from UUNet or TPNet as well (if you will ban whole TPNet

you will ban like 90% of Poland because it is monopolist, and yes, they are idiots so trying to send them

abuse reports is pointless).

Regards.

Which one?

Regards.

teh banned 0n3na, i once again agree with you, but i am getting very tired of that "hmmmmmz" thing.

P.S. Trojans? Ohh, thats what the pointing hand button in the toolbar is for!

Regards

And how would you warn every single user about how not to get infected with trojans?

This one.

#bc?

Isn't it sufficient? Broadcast will go to every user online, since you can't attack users who are not online

it seems very nice way to warn users about security on the internet and in game, which already has very

nice effects - I am trying to tell you it since about 4 posts but you are not reading me carefully.

Same like info in billboards works if you want people to practice safe sex, same works #bc if you

want players to practice save EL. ;-)

I am telling you one more time --> ask Learner if you don't believe me.

Regards.

Guest Zeplin

Another bunch of BC's taking away from the Role Play?

like the last lot about rules, getting ppl to check them, Just incase they changed in the last 5 minutes?

If you really want to let people know, Add it to the web page, And to the MOTD message (currently relating to the server crash)

As for how to avoid tojans, Does that mean hosting a free anti-virus, And providing support for it too? Or are you going to simply throw a few links at users, And HOPE it all goes well?

We already know they aren't reading the MOTD, Rules, and most of the BC's. The BC's I've been doing about people reading the rules are because I'm getting reports that people are breaking them (specially bag spamming) and every time I do it, I get questions like 'whats bag spamming', or 'wheres the forums'