Eternal Lands Official Forums
Guest 0ZaCh0

unable to run client

Guest 0ZaCh0

I downloaded from the El website.  Nothing changed, I have been playing this last week on Android but I would like to run it on PC so I have have access to hotkeys.

Guest 0ZaCh0

By the way Revi, just want to thank you for voluntarily helping with EL.  I'm 10 months and 27 days sober today and having lost my license and being on intensive probation for what I did 10 months and 28 days ago, I find refuge in playing this game which is considerably a game with a community that is the last of its kind.  People take it for granted and I see a lot of them post and talk shit in-game but I never see anyone giving you grateful appreciation so I just wanted to take the time to do so.  Thank you to all mods and staff because if it weren't for EL, AA/NA, and other volunteers, people like me may never find refuge in a safe place.

Read over this article as it lists several possible fixes for this type of error that you are receiving. https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/instruction-at-referenced-memory-could-not-be-read/

Personally, I would try the scan for system file corruption and the check your hardware health solutions first. I hope this will help you fix the problem.

Guest 0ZaCh0

Thank you Shadowgate; your input was fruitful as always.

I just tried updating my gfx card driver to no avail.  But I am certain that my hardware *is* capable of running the client because I tried running a live distribution of android on the same computer and managed to play.  But it would be a hassle to do this every time I wanted to play, not to mention it lacks a few PC-specific features such as sound, cursor indicators, hotkeys, zooming in/out, among other things.

What bugs me are the values in your original error message (all zeros).

First option would be missing files, especially as the normal background for the login screen isn't shown.

The client expects to find those files, and I'm not sure how their absence is handled.

Hence the suggestion to re-install the client (perhaps after a new download, in case there was a glitch there)

You might also have an error log from the client in the EL data directory (sorry, I'm using linux,

and I have no idea where that file might be under windows).

Note that an insufficiently capable graphics driver doesn't (shouldn't) give a system error, the client will refuse to start and terminate "normally".

I've seen the white background issue when there are graphic driver issues too, but as Revi says, the error looks weird.  You could have a look at the log file, the last few entries might help.  You can find the log file in "My Documents/Eternal Lands/log/" or possibly just "Documents/Eternal Lands/log/"", there should be a file called "main_<some number>.log.  Pick the most recent file which you should be able to open in a text editor like notepad.  Post the last few lines here if you can.

Edited by bluap

Yes, that shows you need to update your graphic card drivers (display adaptor).  Missing hardware acceleration is not handled well by he client and it usually crashes.  Even if this was fixed, you would not be able to play without acceleration; your frame rate would be terrible.  Try using the windows "device manager" to check for updates of your "display adaptor" or visit you adaptor manufacturer and see if you can get an update there.

Guest 0ZaCh0

Thank you.  I had invested most of my time believing that with Windows 10 "Lite", perhaps my OS does not fully utilize the potential of my GFX card.  I had tried updating the driver earlier but the following leads me to believe I have to somehow change the driver. I will update the thread if I figure out how to tell Windows how to not use this "basic" driver update.

Error.bmp

Guest 0ZaCh0

Just to reiterate an important point, I know my gfx card is sufficient to run the client because when I run a live distro of android on my computer, I am able to run the client.  I am going to see if backing up my files and switching to the 'full' windows version works.  I would love to just use linux but I have a few programs I need to work from home that are only supported on Windows.

Does this screenshot indicate anything beneficial to my dilemma?

Thank you guys for the assistance.

Error.bmp

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.