Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vartican

randomness

ok i know this has probably been posted before but we NEED some kind of randomness to the game i.e something to make players play longer, now you can express your views however you want about this but i was thinking along the lines of unique/rare items like say a helm with uber stats and i different look that has like a 1 in 5 million drop rate,these kind of things would make people play that little bit longer and kill just a few more of those monsters just in the minute chance that they might get that item,thats the thing that holds people to most mmorpg's like runescape,ultima,everquest etc they all have some kind of random element in their items that keeps people playing.the one thing ive seen about eternal lands is that almost everything is based around a player getting their stats high..but what do you do once youve got the high stats you played for months to get?

The item doesn't even have to have uber stats! Just having a very different look will make it more valuable (specially if its fancy looking).

that's what the titanium serp. sword was supposed to be..and titanium chain armor...but someone smegged that up bad.

that's what the titanium serp. sword was supposed to be..and titanium chain armor...but someone smegged that up bad.

Well what did you expected if there are some silly levels needed to make it and

15 levels char with 50/50 coord/phys (that is not difficould to get) is able to

kill ogres? When I told that Entropy on that meeting in IP tavern he got mad at me.

So now I am not sure if I should be happy that I was right or sad because that game

is now extremely boring.

Regards.

*imagines 007 witha toga* bad image very bad mabye a silver fur hat or cloak. Ooo or mabye diffrent color capes or black armor, god i should shut up now..

:oops:

Hello.

Making new set of items is not a solution.

This will be easy to make like serps or it

will be monster drop...and after another

2 weeks everyone will have it anyway.

As Roja said - people only use best eq,

there are rarely seen someone (usually some

newbie) with other weapon than serp and

other armor than titanium one. Isn't it waste?

Regards.

Wolfram would not be manufacturable and it would be the rarest drop ever, so only a minority would have it.

Btw why do you say hello and regards with every single message?

every rpg out there is buildt around grpwth. you grow in strengths, experiences and skills...

so what we need to do is to make items cost more to use in terms of pick points. i was hopeing that the pickpoint system could be used to remove the problem of jack of all trades that was all over the old server. problem was that entropy set the requirements for items way to low without looking at how fast people can gain them. you start out with 5 given that you have to have 3-4 levels in fighting skills to be able to kill a rabbit (a bad hack in my view, make the rabbits weaker damnit, not the chars stronger at start). and then you can harvest 5 levels more just from picking flowers. allready you have 10 pickpoints to use, and to wave a serpent around you only need half of that put into the human nexus...

a player should go "hmm, should i put all my points into that nexus or should i spread them out a bit and wait?". my point is that you should do a sizeable investment in time and points to be able to use the strongest weapon in the game so far, not be able to pick it up from the word GO!

entropy asks for help but then overrides everyones work and their attempts at balanceing the game by doing changes one place and then going apeshit when people complain :D sometimes i wonder why i keep trying to help, maybe i hope that i can slip something under his radar...

so what we need now isnt more items pr see but rather more variation within the items we have. and i think that is the plan, there was codeing done to try and give armors and weapons magical glow. this in turn can mean that we will see weapons that have magical effect and given that may well make weapons that while being below the other one can match it with the magical addon and therefor people may not need to go serpent to get a strong weapon. but my above point still stands, there needs to be a higher cost for the use of all weapons and armors so that people cant go beyond leather and low level weapons without playing the game for some time first...

Hello.

LEVELS, LEVELS, LEVELS and TIME to get it were blocking

flooding market by items you needed damn hight level to make

even steel chain, that was just insufficient...Ent made serp stones...

still insufficient...Ent reseted *GOOD*...removed old system to add new

*WRONG*. Books, nexuses etc if it WOULD BE ADDED to old system

then we could have GREAT system. And that silly difficoulties in titanium

stuff if level to make that all is LOW...

In that system making randomization of items stats is great idea

and it could a bit fix that situation.

Regards.

erm this topic wasnt aimed at the economy........

im talking about making people play the game longer and not get bored and leave after a few months....

and teh banned 0n3na please! stop with the hello and regards :lol:

@teh banned 0n3ana

if you look at the items you have allmost 0 chance of getting a finished serpent without proper skills and even if you do get lucky the cost of all the failures outstrip the money you can get for that item most of the time. the old system was in my view a bad hack in that you had set limits on what you could and could not do at any given level...

one problem i an haveinging right now with the system tho is that over time you can get all the books and learn them, letting you become a jack of all trades. what i would like to see is a system where you have only so many slots for books so that to change from being a maker to a fighter you will have to dump some books to make room for others. to remove a book you would have to have removed all books that require it. this way a person isnt forced down a set path in that they can select what that person knows at any one time but at the same time they can never be as good at any one thing as the person that follow a path to the end...

hell maybe the books should require nexus levels to be read...

allso, reandomness in that weaponstats cant be done unless the game keeps track of every item made with a full set of stats rather then just reading them from a comon list. this isnt a game run on a everyquest cluster damn it.

@vartican

people get bored and leave for a number of reasons. but if lack of items is one of them then i wonder if they should not go back to playing diablo 2 as that one seems to never run out of random items...

oh and she is only being polite...

erm this topic wasnt aimed at the economy........

im talking about making people play the game longer and not get bored and leave after a few months....

and teh banned 0n3na please! stop with the hello and regards  :lol:

That was about sense of creating randomization in items

instead of only making new ones that is pointless.

And what is wrong with polite forms huh?

I should write "Yo!" And "Cheers!"???

Regards (as usuall, because I am respecting even SKA)

teh banned 0n3na

you

know

that

you

don't

have

to

press

enter

after

every

single

word

you can actually write this way. It is much easier and it saves the the work of pressing enter. You know, the system does it for you. I mean your posts look really stupid

Duran: Yeah it will require keeping trach for each item in game that have

random stats but in alot of games it is already done and it works fine,

so what is the problem? Also you say that at required level making serps

is almost impossible - yeach right, I know people who has exactly required

levels and are massively making it - serp stones are damn easy to get

titanium bars are not that hard to make too.

And of course people are leaving - they are, because game where everyones

has everything and can everything IS BORING.

Randomization will give a chance that serp you make will sucks or that

it will be great plus degradable items it could move economy a bit.

Regards.

i see now that we are missunderstanding eatchother around the serpent makeing. what i said (or tried to say) was that unless you have the skill needed you fail over and over. the reason for me saying this was that i understood you post so that you where complaining that people could do serpent swords from getting into the game. if they are makeing at what you call massive numbers by the time they have the skill in that area then so be it, they should be able to do so as long as they get the parts needed...

was not degradeable items put in now?

and sure random weapons have been done in other games, but you will have to talk to entropy about it to get the nice image as to why it cant be done right now. mostly it boils down to database and similar "problems". but im starting to wonder if atleast one game uses a name parser and generator, you pick a weapon name and a effect name and pair these like "short sword of ice" and then looks up the normal short word and the effect of ice and puts the effect of ice on top of the short sword stats when ever you look at the complete item. this could allow for named items to as you could create a named weapon or armor that may well be only one of a kind (by createing a special counter so that if its 0 then the item cant be dropped if it comes up in a random selection as that would mean its allready out there)...

hmm, i must try and toss this at entropy and hear what he have to say about it as it may or may not keep the workload down. it will require some modification to the way items are stored tho and most likely all armor and weapons will become nonstackable (and i have no freaking idea about how to get the storage system working with this right now). and these are the reason i think that we dont have random weapons at the moment, they fuck up all the code that have with inventory and storage to do...