Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aredhel

A new class of creatures with different walking pattern

Hi! It was a dream i had a while ago...

Until now, every non-player creature (except Lenny) follows an ordinary type of random walk. It works well. However i believe it might enrich the game if we have more than one type of behaviour.

Let's assume we a have a flock of equal creatures, e.g. "weird chickens" looking like tiny cockatrices, forming a group.

To distinguish from ordinary creatures they have a dark blue name tag.

They watch each other, and are bound to stay together in a group, with some occasional execptions. I assume it will be possible to formulate some rules for their walking behaviour - these would have to be elaborated, till there's a small set of rules producing a good looking flock of creatures, which can be sometimes chaotic and somtimes orderly

* A creature with ordinary group bias tries to maintain a distance of 3 steps from his neighbour. If close they'd take the next step away from it it, if further they'd move closer.

* With a small chance, a creature turns sinto single bias, moves away from group walking randomly towards the least populated area, perhaps doing random walk. After a while would start to feel lonely and try to come back to group.

* there's a tiny chance one might turn aggressive. If others see an agressive one they follow it rather than their non-aggressive neighbors

* If one is seen as engaged in battle, others who see it will turn aggressive immediately

Would be interesting if they can cross maps, too, so we'd have a flock of little chickens walking all across C2 (but i guess crossing maps would be too difficult to handle for the server.)

Does this make any sense to you ? I imagine it would look good.

Awesome idea, aredhel, Mistress of Beasts!

I absolutely second this suggestion :icon13:

Now, before anyone can conjure images of greedy poachers tracking and slaughtering flocks of anything on sight for their precious fur/feathers/... to down aredhels dream immediately, I'd like to suggest for their corpses to be rather materially invaluable: Maybe only meat and bones - and maybe very rare drops or something. Of course depending on what kind of creature we're actually looking at... just saying they should enrich the game by their very existance, not by their meeting the "needs" of the drop-hunters.

(yes, you may stone me now - ingame, of course :P)

Just my thoughts, laid open. :hiya:

flocks of Casty's \o/

sounds good though, btw it would be nice if we got changing spawns, a monster runs away from it's spawn and where ever it dies that will be the center of it's new spawn radius. so you'll never be training at the same spot all the time.

flocks of Casty's \o/

sounds good though, btw it would be nice if we got changing spawns, a monster runs away from it's spawn and where ever it dies that will be the center of it's new spawn radius. so you'll never be training at the same spot all the time.

That way you could "move" the spawn to storage or other convenient place right ? ;)

well which spawns are at or in the same map as an open storage? gl moving double FC from their spawn in some places to ida/PV storage, or double yeti's from irin caves to storage ^^

or even closed storages, there are no good spawns in storage maps. and getting it there would take forever anyways, and no guarantee it stays there unless you want to scre training waiting for it to go to storage everytime it walks away ^^

but that's an entire different suggestion, let's just focus on aredhels

oh with moving spawns i see now a bunch of people getting the skellies and armed skellies together around mm sto to fill up their empty bones. or move beavers to votd sto :D far better to have them close to finish fast daily .... there are multiple scenarios where i can see how it may be abused.

as for the flock of creatures

Make an area of sound and an area of visibility if aggressive monsters hear battle, they come closer to investigate, if they see their own kind beeing att. they help.