Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puntif

version 0.99 client - icons problem

I just upgraded to the new 0.99 version. The bottom edge where the icons are supposed to appear seems broken. I get flickering - the icons are being displayed but immediately are overlaid by a series of empty boxes and brown tiles. Using linux (slackware 9.0) with ATI rage drivers. I tried several video resolutions and both fullscreen and windowed with no improvement.

see screenshot http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kjshelly/el099bug.png

Did you used the upgrade package or upgraded from cvs?

Because in CVS the images, maps, etc are not downloaded... you need to download the upgrade package in el page...

If that is not the problem... well, than i dont know what that is... i have no problem with my upgrade.

I also have another problem. Instead of showing the map, the tab key displays the fonts image (I think it's called fonts.bmp).

I got this after downloading the linux update file and expanding it into my regular eternal lands directory.

I also tried downloading the full install file into another directory. It also produces these same results.

I also tried refreshing my copy of the cvs source from berlios and recompiled. I copied the resulting executable into my eternal lands directory and tried running it. That program locked up displaying a black screen.

Whenever you get the fonts.bmp file, that usually means you don't have the required graphic file. The code tends to default to font.bmp because that is the first file loaded.

Nope, the only thing in the errors file is the usual fontv messasge.

I am able to run my compile of the CVS download so I have been running it under gdb. I've added some debugging fprintf(stderr... statements:

in load_bmp8_fixed_alpha for file ./maps/map2.bmp

open succeeded

normal close

entering switch_to_game_map for map file name ./maps/map2.elm now ./maps/map2.bmp len=15

It appears that the map file exists and is available. Is it possible there is a problem in the texture caching? I haven't been able to understand that part of the code yet.

One more question: Are your icons displayed at all, at the bottom? You said they flicker, but are they displayed?

If nothing works, press F6, see if it works.

As for the maps, it might be that your video card doesn't support textures bigger than 256.

In this case, load the maps in gimp or whatever, and make them 256x256

The icons appear briefly. If I walk, they appear briefly at irregular intervals about once per second but the screenshot is what it looks like most of the time - the icons appear briefly and are immediately overlaid or wiped out. They still work, though - I can click where the sit/stand icon should be and the character sits or stands.

Here is a screenshot of the screen after pressing F6:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kjshelly/elbugf6.png

By the way, it must be using the gamebuttons2.bmp as the source for the icons. Some of the mouseover icons show parts of the clock or the EL logo.

This is really strange...

Anyway, did it fix the maps problem?

Also, try the following thing, not that I have much hope it will fix the problem:

In gl_init.c there is a point where it enables texture compression, if found. Disable it (set it to 0 after the test is complete).

Neither the ARB compression nor the EXT compression messages are appearing so I don't think that's an issue.

The maps are still broken but they worked in the previous client releases. so I don't think it's a problem with textures bigger than 256x256 unless release 0.99 handles them differently.

Also the messages I get at start-up are:

GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it. . .

Couldn't find the GL_ARB_point_parameters extension, not using it . . .

Very strange indeed...

Can you ask ATI about it? Or see one some forums if others have issues with your model and your distro?

Also, it's a laptop :D

It seems to be most likely not a hardware issue - more likely a software issue with the openGL drivers - don't you think? I am hypothesizing that the two symptoms have a common cause: that openGL is displaying more than one "texture" (is that the right term? I've never done graphics programming openGL or otherwise) overlaying the correct one with another one. Is there any way to validate this hypothesis? Maybe some openGL query relating to the contents or size of the "texture" as stored?

We don't even use multitexturing for the interface. It's just a texture displayed over another, but the Z test is dissabled I think, so it really shouldn't do that.

What I suspect is a problem with the drivers.

I'm trying to understand the symptom well enough to build a helpful google search or to phrase a newsgroup query. I don't think I have enough information to do either yet.

Saying "on Linux (Slackware 9.0) using openGL drivers xyz for an ImageLand laptop the program displays images from file x instead of from file y but it works for everyone else" doesn't seem to be detailed enough to help.

OK I'm gonna try the newsgroups now. I have played around with the code. Making draw_peace_icons (in hud.c) lstart with:

void draw_peace_icons()

{

fprintf(stderr,"in draw_peace_icons just before get_and_set_texture_id for icons textn");

get_and_set_texture_id(icons_text);

glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);

//glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);//enable alpha filtering, so we have some alpha key

//glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER,0.03f);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

fprintf(stderr,"about to draw walk iconn");

if(action_mode==action_walk || (mouse_x>walk_icon_x_start && mouse_y>walk_icon_y_start &&

mouse_x<walk_icon_x_end && mouse_y<walk_icon_y_end))

draw_2d_thing(colored_walk_icon_u_start, colored_walk_icon_v_start, colored_walk_icon_u_end, colored_walk_icon_v_end,

walk_icon_x_start, walk_icon_y_start, walk_icon_x_end, walk_icon_y_end);

else

draw_2d_thing(walk_icon_u_start, walk_icon_v_start, walk_icon_u_end, walk_icon_v_end,

walk_icon_x_start, walk_icon_y_start, walk_icon_x_end, walk_icon_y_end);

glEnd();

get_and_set_texture_id(font_text);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

fprintf(stderr,"about to draw look iconn");

if(action_mode==action_look || (mouse_x>eye_icon_x_start && mouse_y>eye_icon_y_start &&

mouse_x<eye_icon_x_end && mouse_y<eye_icon_y_end))

draw_2d_thing(colored_eye_icon_u_start, colored_eye_icon_v_start, colored_eye_icon_u_end, colored_eye_icon_v_end,

eye_icon_x_start, eye_icon_y_start, eye_icon_x_end, eye_icon_y_end);

else

draw_2d_thing(eye_icon_u_start, eye_icon_v_start, eye_icon_u_end, eye_icon_v_end,

eye_icon_x_start, eye_icon_y_start, eye_icon_x_end, eye_icon_y_end);

glEnd();

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

fprintf(stderr,"about to draw use iconn");

if(action_mode==action_use || (mouse_x>use_icon_x_start && mouse_y>use_icon_y_start &&

mouse_x<use_icon_x_end && mouse_y<use_icon_y_end))

draw_2d_thing(colored_use_icon_u_start, colored_use_icon_v_start, colored_use_icon_u_end, colored_use_icon_v_end,

use_icon_x_start, use_icon_y_start, use_icon_x_end, use_icon_y_end);

else

draw_2d_thing(use_icon_u_start, use_icon_v_start, use_icon_u_end, use_icon_v_end,

use_icon_x_start, use_icon_y_start, use_icon_x_end, use_icon_y_end);

glEnd();

get_and_set_texture_id(hud_text);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

fprintf(stderr,"about to draw trade iconn");

if(action_mode==action_trade || (mouse_x>trade_icon_x_start && mouse_y>trade_icon_y_start &&

mouse_x<trade_icon_x_end && mouse_y<trade_icon_y_end))

draw_2d_thing(colored_trade_icon_u_start, colored_trade_icon_v_start, colored_trade_icon_u_end, colored_trade_icon_v_end,

trade_icon_x_start, trade_icon_y_start, trade_icon_x_end, trade_icon_y_end);

else

draw_2d_thing(trade_icon_u_start, trade_icon_v_start, trade_icon_u_end, trade_icon_v_end,

trade_icon_x_start, trade_icon_y_start, trade_icon_x_end, trade_icon_y_end);

glEnd();

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

fprintf(stderr,"about do draw sit/stand iconn");

I now get http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kjshelly/eltest.png