Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisC

God Theory

ok, first off, if your gonna post here, please be serious :) but im sure someone is gonna spam anyway so here is a picture to make sure that you do not...

serious_cat.jpg

Now, his is from one of my friends on facebook (Konnor), i have been talking to him about this, and this is his "God Theory"

I have no idea if this has any validity but it's something interesting to think about nonetheless. While waiting for my bus one early morning, staring up at the stars, I began to ponder about how vast the universe is and compared it to our planet.

The Roman Empire collapsed for many factors but, imperialistic guilt played a major role in the downfall. They became so large that they couldn't monitor the reaches of their empire. The constituents didn't assimilate to Roman culture. This resulted in many different countries under one banner, unwillingly, which alienated these separate cultures and allowed them to dissent from Rome. I think this is why there are multiple higher powers (Gods). One government, person, empire, higher power, cannot monitor something so massive as the Roman Empire (or a vast expanse of dark matter, 95 billion light years long, known as the Universe)

I dislike the theory that there's an invisible man in the sky (See: The Invention of Lying). I would like to believe that there's some way to actually prove the existence of a God. This got me thinking: What's the least understood object/matter/thing in our universe? My answer was black holes. I could be wrong, but it's possible, right?

Current theories assume that there's a Supermassive Black Hole at the center of every galaxy. With it's intense (understatement) density, it holds the galaxy together. Einstein theorized that a black hole was made of nothing more than pure energy. What the hell is pure energy?? Nothing on Earth can create PURE energy. We have no clue how to make PURE energy. We can have nuclear energy. We can have electrical energy. But there's nothing like PURE energy. Of course God can create pure energy.

We've never actually seen a black hole. There's no way to. Their gravitational pull is SO STRONG, light, traveling at 670,616,629 miles/hour, can't escape the pull. They're pretty damn powerful. That's why we can't actually SEE a black hole. Maybe God didn't want it to be that easy? God did place our planet at a place in the galaxy with a clear view of the galaxy though. It's an amazing thing, being in a certain spot with no nebular gas and/or dust. Our location between the Sagittarius and Perseus spiral arms protects us from dangerous explosions of supernovae. We are also situated far from our galaxy’s black hole.

Think about where Earth just HAPPENED to be located as well. According to the Circular Habitable Zone concept, if our planet was moved 5% closer or farther from the sun, life would not be possible.

I'm going to digress a tad and post an analogy that I LOVE.

"The Cosmological Constant is so fine-tuned that it is beyond imagination. It would be like being 1/2 way to our moon, throwing a dart toward earth and hitting a bull’s eye that measures one trillionth of a trillionth of an inch in diameter." (take 1 inch then divide in into 1 trillion equal parts, take 1 of those parts, and divide it into 1 trillion equal parts... Pretty damn small, right?)

But this totally happened on accident.

I "think" God was made up by someone wanting to give a name or try to explain why we are here, because like Konnor said it is amazing to think that we ended up the way we did for no reason at all. But if we were made by God, what was our purpose? Did he want to see what we would do, what we would become? So many questions but that's not what this is about...

But it is also possible to think that we could have just ended up here like this, i mean the chances are WAAAAY against us, but there is still that possibility.

I choose to believe that it was God that created everything, because just knowing that there will be nothing but black or no sense of time or *poof* your just gone with no memory is a horrible idea. Believing in God is what gives me meaning, because if you had no purpose or your life ended with nothing, what would be the meaning of life?

now, what do you think?

I think neither you, I, nor your friend can prove anything either way... so pondering it is, largely, a waste of time.

I will say this:

The fact Earth is so well situated is undoubtably rare, but there's a great many other planets in our universe, many (seemingly the vast majority) that aren't situated so well... the fact one (or perhaps; a few) planets have ended up in the unique position required for hosting our perception of life doesn't prove the existence of God(s) or 'divine being', as with so many planets existing, it's unsurprising that by chance a few would end up well situated for life... simply by coincidence, not divine intervention.

I agree, but I "think" God was made up by someone wanting to give a name or try to explain why we are here, because like Konnor said it is amazing to think that we ended up the way we did for no reason at all. But if we were made by God, what was our purpose? Did he want to see what we would do, what we would become? So many questions but that's not what this is about...

But it is also possible to think that we could have just ended up here like this, i mean the chances are WAAAAY against us, but there is still that possibility.

I choose to believe that it was God that created everything, because just knowing that there will be nothing but black or no sense of time or *poof* your just gone with no memory is a horrible idea. Believing in God is what gives me meaning, because if you had no purpose or your life ended with nothing, what would be the meaning of life?

and this professor or something of my friend said this right after me

For hundreds of years, people thought that four "humours" (bodily fluids) alone regulated the health of the human body; the amount of each humour present in the body determined anything from cancer to insanity. We know now that this concept was completely false and that human physiology is a billion times more complex than "four humours." Sure, that complicates things to an outstanding degree, but the knowledge has been priceless. Think of how little progress the human race would have made if we hadn't moved past bloodletting!

My point is, even though the humour theory was easy for primitive minds to swallow, it was dangerously incorrect. The easy answer is almost never the right one. Don't believe in God because it's easy, deny God's existence because it's harder.

When you are on God's side, you can answer any question with "God," but when you are on the other side, you have to research things and find the real answers. If people didn't strive to learn new things and explain the old ones, where would we be as a species? Forget thumbs, reasoning is what sets us apart from the lower animals. ... See More

Seek to explain your world. Don't say, "Goddidit" and turn back to the TV. Even if you choose to believe that a higher power created everything, or at least the systems that allow for everything, don't deny the work of brilliant minds because their concepts can't be explained on a Denny's placemat.

Does your higher power coexist with science, e.g. did He create everything as it is (Jesus, four thousand years, and a fake fossil record) or did He create the universe 4 billion years ago and everything else that happened has been orchestrated by Him? I meant to ask you that.

i always feel people always say * theirs such little chance that our life was a accident* do not understand how damn massive space is and the chance that their is a planet somewhere (ie us) or maby a few planets that ended up in our position its not that unlikely at all, its just the numbers involved are too big for a normal human brain to really comprehend, so its hard to believe we are just chance.. the idea of god is most likely from people ages ago just not being able to explain certain phenomenon and then blaming it on some supernatural power cuz they knew no better

i feel the way people try to justify their arguments against this is almost like picking a pea out of a bag of i identical peas and going OMFG I FOUND A PEA! what are the chances.. their are probably lots of worlds like ours out thier just verrry far away xD and apparently the odds of thier being life out thier that we just cant reach is pretty high... and probably never reach cuz if were right in saying the speed of light is the fastest you can go, and no matter how scifi you go you cant get any faster, it would take years something like 9 years to get to the nearest star anyway.. probably to find nothing anyway lol.

but yeeesss... to sum up that i basically think its not rly that amazing that their happens to be life here

Edited by thelethalmoo

You are wrong from the start. The Roman Empire did not collapse because they overextended themselves. The manageable borders of the empire were there for centuries, called the "limes" (Rhein-Danube-Euphrates), and they could also be defended before the fall of the empire for centuries.

The fall was caused by many factors indeed, most of all the attack of the Huns (and the mass immigration of those nations who fled from the Huns), but also the degrading of the old morals, so no one really cared what happens with the Empire anymore, plus that the economy of the western areas collapsed into a self-sustaining state (this can be seen in political decisions too, as the economy on the west fell back, the centre of the empire moved east --> Constantinople).

But the borders have nothing to do with it.

FYI: black holes are not of pure energy, you might want to study physics and philosophy if you are really interested in discussing such things off such wrong assumptions.

btw it is indeed possible to test the theory of the event horizon being the border of black holes. And the currrent level of knowledge is that all known observations (e.g. quantum fluctuation of pair generation and the like) are in complete harmony with Einsteins theory.

Science doesnt strive to create absolute thuths as theory, it creates theories to explain observations. The wrong picture of what science does is one of the problems for most people dicsussing it like you did.

science is not in contrast with anything beyond the scope of science, but the more successful science explains the happenings around us, the less interesting is the believe that some omnipotent being would act in a way that could be perceived by us humans.

agnostic greetings

science is not in contrast with anything beyond the scope of science, but the more successful science explains the happenings around us, the less interesting is the believe that some omnipotent being would act in a way that could be perceived by us humans.

agnostic greetings

;)

someone once said if there was no god man would have need to invent one

is there a god ? whats his name ( lol like god needs a name and why does it have to be a male thats rather sexist :pickaxe: ) these only divides us into pointless arguments over what that god is and we forget that we are all god, expressions of it anway

I call god the higher natural power, its the forces of the universe that pre exist us and outlive us. Natural laws or others call it science. Gravity, light, mass , protons , neutrons , 7 Eleven , string theory , E=MC2 all these things are humanity trying to understand what god is. Science itself I believe is the thing that takes us closest to a God as they strive to unravel lifes mysteries and the fabric of the universe itself. The closer you get to the truth the closer you are to God.

The higher natural power exists wether I exist or not, it was before humans and shall be after humans. It is the greater power that we cannot pin down into one book. The power to dream the impossible or the power to sit on our ass and eat pies , its all God , its all the natural law and it will be here after we die.

Or, it might be easier to believe in the invisible judge who has the list of ten things you are not supposed to do , but theres allways the flying spaghetti monster to ;)

Edited by Ateh