Eternal Lands Official Forums
frogimus

Suggestion: Hybrid Trade Bots

Disclaimer #1: This may be better suited for the "Suggestions" forum.

Disclaimer #2: I searched and scanned the Market and Bots forums for something similar and found nothing. Every search term I used returned the "over 1000..." responses. So I apologize if I overlooked a similar idea.

I was thinking about a "hybrid" trade bot that would basically be the normal player character being left in a specific area (call it a bazaar or marketplace) and handled by a bot script. The players that wish to have the ability to sell their goods (items made, monster drops, etc) would pay a yearly fee to Entropy and when they are gonna be offline, they can walk to the bazaar and logout, then login with the bot script.

The bot script would need to have some check to ensure that the character is within the boundaries of the bazaar (x1,y1 - x2,y2) before allowing the script to run.

The bazaar should be in an area without high traffic so lag is minimized

No blessing (of course)

Heavy penalties for scripting outside the borders

These might also be useful on guild maps to allow guildies to leave things for each other, etc

Disclaimer #1: This may be better suited for the "Suggestions" forum.

Disclaimer #2: I searched and scanned the Market and Bots forums for something similar and found nothing. Every search term I used returned the "over 1000..." responses. So I apologize if I overlooked a similar idea.

I was thinking about a "hybrid" trade bot that would basically be the normal player character being left in a specific area (call it a bazaar or marketplace) and handled by a bot script. The players that wish to have the ability to sell their goods (items made, monster drops, etc) would pay a yearly fee to Entropy and when they are gonna be offline, they can walk to the bazaar and logout, then login with the bot script.

The bot script would need to have some check to ensure that the character is within the boundaries of the bazaar (x1,y1 - x2,y2) before allowing the script to run.

The bazaar should be in an area without high traffic so lag is minimized

No blessing (of course)

Heavy penalties for scripting outside the borders

These might also be useful on guild maps to allow guildies to leave things for each other, etc

The only thing I see here that isn't already included in the bots is walking to & from a general area unless you want Entropy to be running the bot. Unblessed guild storage or trade bots are $20/year paid to Entropy and you worry about the bot code & running it, or use one of the bot services such as mine or LabRats.

If you were thinking about Entropy running it ... that is almost what the Guild NPC's are.

Well, really the big difference would be that it wouldn't be a separate character than its "owner", so it wouldn't add to the general population. Twould be an intermittent script. Player plays the character, or parks the character and turns on the script.

Managing a full-blown trade bot is a pain. This would give players an easier option to merch their stuff while they're not playing

Well, really the big difference would be that it wouldn't be a separate character than its "owner", so it wouldn't add to the general population. Twould be an intermittent script. Player plays the character, or parks the character and turns on the script.

Managing a full-blown trade bot is a pain. This would give players an easier option to merch their stuff while they're not playing

There are reasons that the bots must be separate characters. One big one is so that it can be easily identified as a LEGAL bot that must follow the bot rules. Otherwise you run into situations where you don't know if it is a person or a bot and which rules to follow. Changing ot to/from a bot would make things even messier since bots have certain advantages, such as immunity to certain special days.

I dont think, that such a feature will be a problem, of course that so called "bot script" must be run server sided, maybe there can be a command like "#bot on" or such and the actor teleports to the market place where all those players are, and the client gets disconnected.

But, to be honest, i dont see any advantage of having such a feature.

If you just want to sell your 3 leather pants, sell them to a NPC or a bot who buys such stuff.

No need to have another actor in game wasting memory and bandwidth for just that reason IMO.

And if you want to sell more stuff, why not just have a bot or rent one, even a blessed one?

You suggested that for that feature the bucks have to be payed like for usual bots, so theres not such a big difference/advantage in just making/renting a bot like we have in game right now.

Piper