Eternal Lands Official Forums
umbrena

Making libraries more used

Knowledge is something you gain and retain, not something you rent per hours. You could think of renting tools such as alembics, vial molds, etc. but knowledge ? Looks weird to me.

Remember, this *is* a fantasy game. So instead of books, have "Crystals of Knowledge" that give you access to the knowledge, but only as long as you have the crystal. Or a "Spell of Knowing" that grants the knowledge until the spell fades. Such gimmicks are hardly unheard of in the fantasy genre...

True, but you have to admit magic crystals and spells are a way different than "go to library - pay - know" proposal above

It moreover kills the concept of accumulated knowledge (book A being prerequisite for book :devlish:, it elliminates a need for some player interactions (book trading), and finally - what about antisocials, would they be allowed to "pay-per-read" ?

what about antisocials, would they be allowed to "pay-per-read" ?

Ye, Just because we're anti does not mean we dont like to read. But certain books would be off limits because u'd have to talk to an npc

Unless of course there was a quest to retrieve a lost book that lets us talk to them, the harder the quest, more books available.

Like Quest #1, u have acess to all basic books, Botanics ect.

Quest#2 You now have acess to all intermediate mining, crafting, ect. and u could do 1 quest per skill

I don't like this idea except for the Heaven Spawner Med Building Book :icon13:

Seriously, I agree with Zamirah. Without to quantify the time spent to read,

several players spent +2 millions of gc to buy books and I don't understand

why other players can't do the same.

Scientists day is enough.

I don't like it, I have read most books.

Typical. Didn't expect anything else.

I know, it's why I posted it. :icon13:

Well, I'll tell what I think the problem is :

For the old skills do you need to read some books before you can read the book that allow you to make an item.

For HE do you need to read :

Book of Biochemistry

Book of Botanics

Book of Advanced Alchemy

Book of Health Essence

For the new skills like engeneering and tailoring do you only need to read 1 book to make the items.

And the books are much more expensive and take a lot of time to read.

So if you want to level a skill like tailoring could you just buy a lot of looms and thread, go to the library and get the knowledge and make fabric for the rest of your EL life.

You would get good levels and next you could do the same with all other items you wanted to make.

You could wait for scholars day or joule day.

So too easy to level in the new skills.

I said, that the knowledge should only last for 1 EL day, so how does that affect 'the rest of your EL life'?

For example, the first tailoring book, was.. 5kgc right?, if its library price is 10% of the book price, that makes the knowledge there for 1 EL day available at 500gc. If you keep going back day after day, it's just easier to buy the books and have the knowledge available to you whenever you need it, not just for one day. This would allow players to dab into a new skills to see if they like it, or help out with other skills for a very limited amount of time. If you want to continue tailoring, you wouldn't be able to continue leveling this skill just by a 'knowledge library' since you'll have to do a lot of cramming and have too many prerequisites to read.

Edit: added something.

Edited by umbrena

For the old skills do you need to read some books before you can read the book that allow you to make an item.

Book of Biochemistry

Book of Botanics

Book of Advanced Alchemy

Book of Health Essence

For the new skills like engeneering and tailoring do you only need to read 1 book to make the items.

So if you want to level a skill like tailoring could you just buy a lot of looms and thread, go to the library and get the knowledge and make fabric for the rest of your EL life.

You would get good levels and next you could do the same with all other items you wanted to make.

I said, that the knowledge should only last for 1 EL day, so how does that affect 'the rest of your EL life'?

For example, the first tailoring book, was.. 5kgc right?, if its library price is 10% of the book price, that makes the knowledge there for 1 EL day available at 500gc. If you keep going back day after day, it's just easier to buy the books and have the knowledge available to you whenever you need it, not just for one day. This would allow players to dab into a new skills to see if they like it, or help out with other skills for a very limited amount of time. If you want to continue tailoring, you wouldn't be able to continue leveling this skill just by a 'knowledge library' since you'll have to do a lot of cramming and have too many prerequisites to read.

Try to read what I say.

Yes the first book is 5k, it's for making white fabric.

If you make white fabric a day - 6 hours - do you never need to read the book, you will have white fabric for the rest of your EL life.

And a high level.

And you don't need to read it if you want to level tailoring, you can make dye in the library without reading white fabric book or you can go to making hats/pants if you go to the library again, without ever to have read any tailoring book

And when new items can be made, can you make them as soon as they are out, not like now, where you have to wait untill you have read the book.

It would mean, reading books are waste, collect what you need for 6 hours mixing and go to the library.

Edited by Zamirah

Book of Biochemistry

Book of Botanics

Book of Advanced Alchemy

Book of Health Essence

Try to read what I say.

Yes the first book is 5k, it's for making white fabric.

If you make white fabric a day - 6 hours - do you never need to read the book, you will have white fabric for the rest of your EL life.

And a high level.

And you don't need to read it if you want to level tailoring, you can make dye in the library without reading white fabric book or you can go to making hats/pants if you go to the library again, without ever to have read any tailoring book

And when new items can be made, can you make them as soon as they are out, not like now, where you have to wait untill you have read the book.

It would mean, reading books are waste, collect what you need for 6 hours mixing and go to the library.

This is why it shouldn't be available for all books, and you still have to level tailoring somehow. Just having the knowledge for 6 hours at a time, won't exactly get you to the top. So what if you stock up on supplies like white fabric, you're bound to run out and then you have to go do it all over again. People are pressured to mix or train or whatever the book is within those six hours, they don't have the liberties of doing things at their own pace(like they would if they had purchased the book), with the library.

And where did I say that new books should be available withing the library right when new books are out?

Of course there should be limits to the books people could read, and if the books are implemented, they should come out an update later.

I like the idea. :icon13:

Maybe, once you have bought that book for the day, you then shouldn't be able to buy that book again, for another week or something, to stop being buying the book over and over?

To Zami: What is the point of doing it "again and again" for your whole EL life? After 10 times, would have been better for sure to have bought the book. And even before that, its faster to mix at storage since you would not have to mule the stuff to the library. Leveling skills in the library would take a ridiculously long time, I think the point would be if you just wanted to make 1 item and unlikely to use it again.

Nice idea.

I think Zamirah is right! Because you dont use every knowlage 24/7, and this way you would spend some money a day for a knowlage and you would make big bags in the library and you would start to make things that you normaly couldent! This way those people who have read most of the books, would feel wierd because they spent serious money on books, than serious time to read them.

I think that this ideea would be good, only if with these rented knowlage you wouldent get experience points only the items.

I dont like this idea.

If u wanna be able to do something, u should have to cough up and buy then read the book.

It's not fair on those who do/have read the "real" books.