Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Build your own armor, from the bottom up

This is an idea I'd like to throw out there, but not sure how well it could mix in with the rest of the game's armor.

In a nutshell, the idea is being able to customize armor piece by piece.

You'd start off with either fur or leather pants/torso.

You can create add-ons individually, these would be things like pauldrons, chest plate, belt, knee/ankle guards, ect., not alot of them but perhaps letting you put 2 or 3 parts together.

Using metal bars and/or other materials, you could create different kinds of these pieces yielding difference resistances and armor ratings.

For example:

Iron bars would give you armor, radiation protection, but less protection from heat and cold

Leather parts would absorb damage and increase heat and cold protection

Fur parts would be a large increase to cold protection and a weakness to heat

Each part added could also have effects on accuracy and other stats.

Each part would be manufactured seperately, and then you would use with each piece on the base armor, either leather or fur pants/torso.

This idea, like I said, may not fit in too well but it really would make each player have their own unique persona going.

Also won't make other types of armor seem undesirable, I think that titanium pieces are as stong as it should go, and iron and steel plate are always armors you could look as stronger (well, Iron Plate would be questionable)

Graphically, unless you can afford to have multiple objects on a character as a single armor piece without causing slowdowns, it might wind up being "ok, make every combination possible..."

You could possibly add in boots and gloves into this, base item + 1 layer of plating.

One thing I would like to mention about this finally, I don't think magic parts would work out well since then people would ditch manufacturing normal armors with a chance of a magic piece.

Pricing I don't know how this would work, I would assume that fur parts would be the cheapest and easiest to make, then leather, iron, steel, silver, titanium, and so on. Other types of parts could be made from minerals like diamonds or quartz, no clue what pricing they'd go with.

If I get the time I might mess around and draw up some sketches of what it could be like, granted I get the time however (art trade, concept art, and music keep me pretty busy ;))

It sounds nice, but it's completely the opposite of the mass-production scheme currently used in EL. As such, it would likely require huge amounts of reworking code and data files. And of course, each unique item needs its own inventory slot (with a lot more data per slot, so you may end up with 5 slots being taken by each unique item).

It sounds nice, but it's completely the opposite of the mass-production scheme currently used in EL. As such, it would likely require huge amounts of reworking code and data files. And of course, each unique item needs its own inventory slot (with a lot more data per slot, so you may end up with 5 slots being taken by each unique item).

I meant above that the parts are merged together into a single piece of armor

Fair enough, but with unique items you have to store the properties with the item.

Right now, the properties are known per item type outside of the storage list.

So even if your suit is one piece, you would still end up needing a lot more space to save storage data.

If you are after a more distinct unique appearance, then the "custom looks" feature may be what you want. You are still limited to wearing a standard item, in terms of effect, but it can look quite different (texture and mesh).

If you are after a more distinct unique appearance, then the "custom looks" feature may be what you want. You are still limited to wearing a standard item, in terms of effect, but it can look quite different (texture and mesh).

The big thing with this though isn't visual, but through stats. You could essential design a suit of armor you could use against heat damage enemy X, or to traverse dangerous cold area Y.

The visual diversity is just a little something else that comes with it.

and just for the count, I can make my own custom looks with some photoshop power and saving to the right kind of format and dimensions in the textures folder ;) *doesn't wear fur clothing, wears red FOX fur clothing ^^*

If you wanna look uniques wait till Radu implements the Logo Shields and Cloak and get your self a wacky hat, bandana, tiara then you'll definitely look unique.