Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crimson

Music :D

well i was wondering since this is the middle ages why dont we have instruments?, for example we could

have an NPC i dunno (beethoven?) sells instruments, all u have to do is equip it and click use, when u do

a window pops up and u can pick from 5 tunes u can play, so then u can go into taverns like IP and play some music to tune the people, or join ur friends and make a band (of course no rock its the middle ages), or there would be a special channel, where u hear music (made by EL players and such)

----OOpps Sorry forgot this was already suggested-- (feel free to delete sorry)---

Edited by Crimson

This was infact a neat suggestion. It could easily be abused however, perhaps a option "disable playersounds" or something.

Bards could be an interesting addition to the game if they had other effects. Music is an area effect, and could produce area effect bonuses:

• Songs in taverns improve R&R (boost healing and/or mana restoration).
  • Drums & pipes rally troops in battle (drums and pipes), boost attack.
  • Songs to sooth wild beasts (a monster-magnetism effect).
  • Songs that give a bonus to particular skills.
  • ...etc...

You can only have one song playing in an area; two or more bards playing different songs are competing ("duelling banjos"), and the effect is lost. Two or more bards playing the same song (on the same side, in the case of battles) may get enhanced effects, if using different instruments.

Since songs are area affects, centred on the bard, then consider overlaps: There will be areas where only one of the "duelling" bard songs can be heard (for simple area of effects), where it will take effect. Likewise, with two bards playing the same song on different instruments, only the area of overlap will gain increased advantage.

So:

• A Bard can learn to play different instruments (req: items).
  • Musical instruments must be wielded instead of weapons (req: animations).
  • A Bard can learn different songs (cf: spells).
  • Songs list the instruments they can be played on (allowing multiple bards to join forces).
  • Bard songs are played on the client when sung (this cannot be the only notification to the player, since they may be playing with sound off).
  • A bard cannot chat while singing!
  • Making musical instruments is crafting.
  • Opportunity for enhanced bardic instruments.
  • Singing or playing is a skill; if the skill check fails the song is spoiled. If several characters are performing together, it just takes one of them failing to spoil the song (this can justify the increased effects for collaborating performers).
  • Bardic performances consume mana and food (should be drink).

The other aspect of Bards is their story telling. Stories could be treated as songs that do not use an instrument (recited as poems), but there may be better interpretations.

Edited by trollson

Didn't EL use to have a Bard bot? Anyways, if you want this now, you can listen to one of Prattler's sonds, and play intrumental music in the backround, or pay a random gnome on IP, like Tanyia.

k yea.. i give 2 thumbs up for the banjo's on account of i'm from Tennessee~ and i think thats the state instrument ;) plus harmonicas/knee slappin/ and those lil irritating boinky things u hold up to your mouth and flick. ;)

Edit: i'll paypal someone a whole DOLLAR if they can tell me what those lil mouth thingies are called.

Edited by helga

k yea.. i give 2 thumbs up for the banjo's on account of i'm from Tennessee~ and i think thats the state instrument ;) plus harmonicas/knee slappin/ and those lil irritating boinky things u hold up to your mouth and flick. ;)

Edit: i'll paypal someone a whole DOLLAR if they can tell me what those lil mouth thingies are called.

Jew Harps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews%27_harp

Jew Harps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews%27_harp

awww piss.

:) guess i owe u a dollar!

Sorry to bring a thread back that has been silent for 2+ weeks, but its still the best place to record this...

A Much Simplified Implementation

I was thinking, during my long drive to work this morning, how a basic bardic song system could be implemented, without introducing too many new constructions. The result is not quite the same as I described above, but is perhaps more feasible.

I am not going to try to define all the details of a bardic song playing.

Some definitions and assumptions

• Songs are area affects, centered on the bard, with a normal local chat radius.
  • Two bards cannot play different songs within range of one another, but a listener can hear two or more songs concurrently.
  • Playing a song is an ongoing activity like harvesting; any other activity stops it, and it is subject to periodic (~1 minute) skill checks.
  • Playing a song requires a musical instrument to be equipped. Instrument cooldown matches the periodic skill check (~1 minute), preventing repeated attempts to start playing.
  • The song 'cacophony' is a song which has gone horribly wrong.

The Process

The following process applies when starting to play, and each minute thereafter until stopped or interrupted:

1. Start or continue playing the selected song:
    • If the song is 'cacophony', then stop.
    • Otherwise make a skill check, if failure [2] then stop.

[*]If anyone is playing a different song [1] within local chat range:

• All conflicting players' songs changed to cacophony.
  • Own song switched to cacophony, goto 4.

[*]For each character in local chat range:

• Apply effects of song.
  • Gain experience [4] (yes, experience is per listener!).

[*]Wait till end of minute [3] and then goto 1 to continue.

Effects of a Song

A songs effect should build up the longer a character is listening to it. With this in mind, the following effects should be the easiest to fit into the game:

• A song can have seperate effects for 'same guild' and 'not same guild'; for example, a rallying song could boost own-guild's attack while decreasing that of others.
  • The easiest effect is to give a ±2 increase to some attribute or skill, upto some limit above normal (based on the bard's skill). Attributes and skills already recover towards their normal level at a rate of ±1/min, so the ±2 gives the bonus a chance to accumulate over time. Multiple cooperating bards help as well.
  • Similar gradual bonus could be applied to health and/or mana.

Thus, we can have songs which boost or penalise skills, increase learning (rationality), make people feel stronger, or feel better.

Not Covered

• How is a song selected? Could reuse the sigils and the equiped instrument, but the sigils are suppose to be being replaced. Or use the 'mix' window with beer, mead, or wine (see next point).
  • Costs for singing and playing? Mana and/or food per minute? Eating would interrupt the song though. Consume beer, mead, or wine that the bard has in their inventory? This associates bards with taverns. "A round for the band!"

I quite like this:
The song is selected by (a) which musical instrument is equipped, and (
B)
a number of bottles of either beer, mead, or wine in your mixing window. 'Mix' to start playing, and consume the drink on each subsequent sucessful skill check, until you have none left in your inventory.

This nicely associates Bards with Taverns, but does not tie them there.
  • Is the bard affected by their own music? Probably not, they are too busy playing. They would be affected by other bards playing the same tune of course.
  • The EL Client can be informed of a change of song, and play it (as per area mood music). If you can hear multiple songs, which one is chosen?
  • Should a bard speaking in local chat interrupt their song?
  • What skill are we talking about here? A new one, or reuse an existing one (magic?).
  • How does the bard learn songs? Is knowledge required?

[1] Including cacophony.

[2] Critical failure can damage or destroy the instrument!

[3] It may be simpler to make this the change of clock-minute rather than based on start of play, to avoid creating lots of seperate timers.

[4] Experience may only be earned if the effects of the song on the listener where not blocked.

Edited by trollson

would require alot of animations to play instruments O.o

There are many Animations missing in EL already. I guess this is not a priority feature. Still I like it a lot.