Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scafativ

Gossip's New PVP matchup service is ready!

Hmm.. I signed up on the day you announced it.. and It still has not found me a partner.. yet I pvp with about 5 different people who are on every day :D

Wizz,

A couple of things-

First- gossip will only match you to someone else who is looking for a match. It seems pointless to match people to players that already are hooked up with a partner, or are working on other skills, ATM.

Also- the matching routine is only run every day or two to permit the numbr of requestees to build up. This leads to relatively good matches.

I'm sorry that you haven't had a match yet- so far, more that half had-

scafativ

Are you sure its every 12 hours?

When I tried it it still gave the error of 'every 24 hours'

and since its on a cooldown. It'd be great to see "you have 'x' hours and 'y' minutes left until you can admire someone again

and since its on a cooldown. It'd be great to see "you have 'x' hours and 'y' minutes left until you can admire someone again

Mr. Lee, you are an admirin' fool. I admire that! I will implement your admiration cooldown countdown suggestion at my first opportunity.

Mr. Lee, you are an admirin' fool. I admire that! I will implement your admiration cooldown countdown suggestion at my first opportunity.

lol :P

But I have one tip for the matchme feature. When gossip finds a partner and you do again matchme pvp and your partner he already found did the same he tells you again that's your best partner... So there is no easy way to find a second partner if both keep asking a matchme back. Isn't there a way to ignore some matchs for some days/weeks? I hope you understand wat I mean ;)

My recent PVP match is 36/36 but with the same p/c as me. I'm 32/32 a/d. Would the PVP still work with the a/d differences? Maybe he used to be closer a/d but trains more often than me?

I'd love to PVP with Spartan_warrior again, that went well. Thanks to Gossip for matching us.

Lu

P.s. I also love the tell, admire and rumor commands!

Just wanted to recommend this splendid service.

I was matched with someone with almost identical P/C, while giving away 3 A/D levels. IMO, that's fairly close when you consider our levels (mid-to-late 50s), so keep up the good work. :P

Oh, btw my partner is really pleasant, and a well loved and respected citizen of Draia, so double thanks! :hehe:

My recent PVP match is 36/36 but with the same p/c as me. I'm 32/32 a/d. Would the PVP still work with the a/d differences? Maybe he used to be closer a/d but trains more often than me?

Lu

I'll try to clarify how the matching process works. First, the matching happens every 48 hours. Four parameters are looked at- a/d/p/c, and the stats are updated if possible, and players that have privacy on, but who's stats are more than 14 days old, are discarded (and they're informed). There's a formula to determine which partners are within a minimum threshold as possible partners- it's linear, so the allowed number of points apart increases as the levels get higher. Then, of the possibilities, the best partner matches are made- best defined as the lowest number of points of difference in a/d/p/c. Both partners are then notified.

A couple of improvements are in the works. First, folks w/o restore will only be matched w/ similar folks. Second, duplicate matchups will be eliminated, as has been suggested here. That's not quite a trivial change, though, because *someday*, perhaps in a month or two, it seems prudent to re-report the match if it is the optimal one again.

I appreciate the feedback- it's helping me optimize the process. Gossip is also in the middle of a database migration, and there's a big new feature coming, so she's pretty busy right now.

scafativ

Edited by scafativ

Lu

I'll try to clarify how the matching process works. First, the matching happens every 48 hours. Four parameters are looked at- a/d/p/c, and the stats are updated if possible, and players that have privacy on, but who's stats are more than 14 days old, are discarded (and they're informed). There's a formula to determine which partners are within a minimum threshold as possible partners- it's linear, so the allowed number of points apart increases as the levels get higher. Then, of the possibilities, the best partner matches are made- best defined as the lowest number of points of difference in a/d/p/c. Both partners are then notified.

A couple of improvements are in the works. First, folks w/o restore will only be matched w/ similar folks. Second, duplicate matchups will be eliminated, as has been suggested here. That's not quite a trivial change, though, because *someday*, perhaps in a month or two, it seems prudent to re-report the match if it is the optimal one again.

I appreciate the feedback- it's helping me optimize the process. Gossip is also in the middle of a database migration, and there's a big new feature coming, so she's pretty busy right now.

scafativ

I'm looking forward to it, I have used gossip quite some times now. Only bot I ever used was Iknow, now I have a 2nd mate in the game :)

Very good! I might use it one day!

:D How did you know it's 'very good' without using it?

Dunno, Just giving good comments. :(

A little suggestion on the pvp matchup. Would it be possible to take into account magic level? The match I received was very close in a/d/p/c (good job!), but their magic level isn't high enough to restore. I personally see having the restore spell as essential for pvping, perhaps a setting to choose if you only want a partner than can cast restore? Obviously I have no idea how difficult that would be to do, but its just a suggestion.

Good job on the bot, can't wait to see what's next. :(

Update: Magic level is now taken into account- restorable players are only matched up with similar players, per Terena's suggestion.

268 players have been matched up so far- so make sure you keep requesting matches with:

/gossip matcme pvp

The more that make requests- the better the matches will be.

scafativ

Edited by scafativ

Thanks for the explanation.

Gossip is a very useful bot, especially now that he can send emails to subscribers (like me).

I can't wait to find out what the new feature is.

Lu

Guest Harriette

Could Gossip give more than one match when requested? It would be nice for her to give 2 or 3 other players to check out and that way repeats could be overlooked as well.