Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SciYro

Problems after the major game update

OK, after some time of waiting for gentoo to be able to install the new EL client (had problems installing the freealut dependency) i downloaded and used the one from the main website, i use the compiled static linux version. The problem i had: the mouse can only move. I cant kill anything, nore can i open doors, or open bags, or anything exept move and chat, and i cant leave ip because the ship requires me to click on it. The mouse no longer seems to change based on whats under it. Even if i use the "attack" button, i still cant seem to kill. If i use the "use" button, doors and flags still wont let me click on them to leave the map.

I just today got EL to install on gentoo by switching gcc versions to compile freealut and EL. The problem still exists. I tried poking around the config window, but nothing seems to make the mouse work again. Has anyone else had this problem, looking around i cant seem to find others who are having trouble.

OK, after some time of waiting for gentoo to be able to install the new EL client (had problems installing the freealut dependency) i downloaded and used the one from the main website, i use the compiled static linux version. The problem i had: the mouse can only move. I cant kill anything, nore can i open doors, or open bags, or anything exept move and chat, and i cant leave ip because the ship requires me to click on it. The mouse no longer seems to change based on whats under it. Even if i use the "attack" button, i still cant seem to kill. If i use the "use" button, doors and flags still wont let me click on them to leave the map.

I just today got EL to install on gentoo by switching gcc versions to compile freealut and EL. The problem still exists. I tried poking around the config window, but nothing seems to make the mouse work again. Has anyone else had this problem, looking around i cant seem to find others who are having trouble.

Nvidia card, old drivers, resolution 1024x768 full screen?

ah, i use a ATI Radeon 9200SE, using the open source drivers that ship with Xorg (the ATi binary ones never worked for me, they had no 3D acceleration that i could get working, and this card is about dead on their list of supported cards). I use a resolution of 800x600x32 at fullscreen for the game, the desktop is 1280x1024x24.

I got a suggestion that i should try other X versions, it seems that the problem i had existed in version 7.1 of the Xorg release for gentoo, in version 7.0 the problem becomes what seems to be messy bounds boxes. If i put the cursor around my guy (not on top of him, but a good distance away, about a few cursor sizes) it becomes a eye cursor. When i went to go inside a door, i had to put the cursor far down the screen from where the door way (almost to the bottom, when the door was near the top-middle of the screen). Attacking seemed to be fine, but opening bags was like opening doors.

The problem dosent seem to exist before X11R7, and its true at least one glitch exist in R7 (my mouses "middle" mouse button wont work (it thinks its button 8, and i have 10 buttons, even tho i told it i have 6 buttons, and it crashes with a error if i set anything past 6 buttons :rolleyes: ) but its also true that EL never quite worked like other Linux games (random crashes, especially while giftd was running or just bene started, wierd flickers from light to dark on the ground, etc), so i really have no idea where the problem really exists in, only that EL is the only program i have that has had any problems with the new Xorg release, besides by trackball not having a "middle mouse" button no more :icon13:

ah, i use a ATI Radeon 9200SE, using the open source drivers that ship with Xorg (the ATi binary ones never worked for me, they had no 3D acceleration that i could get working, and this card is about on their list of supported cards). I use a resolution of 800x600x32 at fullscreen for the game, the desktop is 1280x1024x24.

I got a suggestion that i should try other X versions, it seems that the problem i had existed in version 7.1 of the Xorg release for gentoo, in version 7.0 the problem becomes what seems to be messy bounds boxes. If i put the cursor around my guy (not on top of him, but a good distance away, about a few cursor sizes) it becomes a eye cursor. When i went to go inside a door, i had to put the cursor far down the screen from where the door way (almost to the bottom, when the door was near the top-middle of the screen). Attacking seemed to be fine, but opening bags was like opening doors.

The problem dosent seem to exist before X11R7, and its true at least one glitch exist in R7 (my mouses "middle" mouse button wont work (it thinks its button 8, and i have 10 buttons, even tho i told it i have 6 buttons, and it crashes with a error if i set anything past 6 buttons :hehe: ) but its also true that EL never quite worked like other Linux games (random crashes, especially while giftd was running or just bene started, wierd flickers from light to dark on the ground, etc), so i really have no idea where the problem really exists in, only that EL is the only program i have that has had any problems with the new Xorg release, besides by trackball not having a "middle mouse" button no more :D

Linux+ATI+EL is a known problem combination due to the ATI drivers.

for future refrenece for anyone like me who cant reistall a lower Xorg version: The generic ATI driver in Xorg works fine with EL, assuming you can stand LOW FPS, i get about 4 FPS, and thats after the game froze up, when nothing was moving, and not much was in view, maybe i could get another 1 FPS if i dringle around with the image quality settings on my card, owell, it beats using no 3D accel, which btw, still seemed to have the same bug as the 3D radeon drivers with EL!.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this