Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thyralax

Ghost writers.

All you spooks and ghouls back by popular demand is the halloween story contest.

Yes it is the time of year to get your pens and pencils out and show your creative skills with writing a halloween based story.

Story Writing Event.

We would like to hear your spooky stories.

So here is how it goes.

We challenge you to write a short el themed Halloween story.

You can post it in this thread, or pm me your entry and I will post it anonymously for you. (However your name will be used when the winners are announced should you win)

There will be a panel of judges who will read and decide upon the winner based on what they consider to be the best entry.

Whilst Spelling & punctuation will be considered dont worry if it isnt that good or you are a non native English speaker as long as the story/poem/piece its self is good you will stand a chance of winning.

The Rules

1 Entrys should be no longer than 2000 words (we arent after epics here peeps and they can be much shorter if desired )

2 Lets keep them clean please

3 If you are going to use another players name in your entry please ensure you get their permission 1st

4 Have fun with them

5 The last day of entry is october the 24th 2011

6 max 2 entries per person

The best 3 stories etc will recieve a prize from my treat bag.

Have fun, good luck and this year could you try and scare me? My hair is still not white yet.

Edited by Thyralax

***I sat down this year and asked myself, what makes a good scary story? The answer? Sequels! Part one can be found here for anyone who needs to catch up.

Part 2

“Wake up!” the impatient voiced echoed through my dreams of shuffling feet, claw like hands, and vacant eyes but it wasn't enough to pull me away.

“WAKE UP!” The louder command and the stick jabbing in my back did the trick the second time.

“I will bite you in the knees if you don't stop waking me up with sticks!” I shouted moments before I slipped off the branch I had been sleeping on and plummeted to the ground, landing in a small grumpy heap. “That was your fault!” I bellowed after I got my breath back.

“That's what you get for sleeping in trees, noob.” Radu answered as he picked up his AK and started striding away.

“You try being 3 feet tall and see how safe you feel sleeping on the ground!” I called at his slowly diminishing figure as I hurried to gather my sword and bow and arrows from the base of tree where I had left them the previous night. It took a few minutes for my short strides to catch up with Radu's long ones and when I had I was out of breath and puffing a little. “So what do you think todays adventure is going to be?” I asked him in a voiced laden with sarcasm.

We had spent the last week being chased all over White Stone by the ever growing population of zombies. It truly seemed that for each zombie we blasted away, 3 more sprang up in it's place. Just yesterday Radu had blown out the knees of at least a dozen random brain eaters with his AK only to turn the next corner into another bigger mob of the fricken' things. I have to say, I was sure grateful for that gun, where ever it had come from. It took down zombies way faster and easier then the sword and bow method that I was stuck with.

I glanced at it while we walked. “Where do the bullets for that thing keep coming from anyway?” I asked suddenly.

“Don't ask questions” he snapped.

“Don't ask questions, don't ask questions.” I parroted in a low mocking voice. “That's going to be your epitaph I swear.”

He shot me a nasty look and lengthened his stride a little so I would have a harder time keeping up. “Awww come on.” I moaned. “I can't go that fast without running.”

“If you're out of breath, you can't talk.” He said snidely over his shoulder.

“Well screw you too.” I muttered under my breath as I slowed to a more comfortable pace and stayed several feet behind for the next uneventful hour.

At long last, after a week of getting close and getting chased away, we reached the entrance to the hedge maze which lead to Vermor castle. The two squatting stone gargoyles that flanked it seemed almost like a point of no return. Radu stopped and gazed at the castle in the distance. “It's going to be harder to get away from anything in here while we find out way through.” He said when I caught up to him.

“Gee, you think? Come on Mary, I know the right path.” I slung my bow across my shoulders and drew my sword as we went in. “Remember to try to make it look like an accident if you shoot me in the back.” I said as I went. The only response from behind me was the cocking of the AK and I rolled my eyes.

“Brrrraaaaaiins” We both heard it and stood stock still at once, our ears straining and eyes wide. Radu gestured that it was several paths away to the left and I nodded and continued on the correct path. We threaded our way through slowly and cautiously, holding our breaths as we checked around each turn. First a right, then a left, around the corner and back again, over the bridge and finally to the small island where the castle stood amongst the eerie skeletons of dead trees.

We paused again at the heavy wooden double doors. Neither of us said anything for a minute then we glanced at each other and nodded. This wasn't going to be pleasant, but we knew what we had to do.

Radu put his hand against the door and shoved with all his strength. It creaked open and I slipped through into the large and empty hall. Radu squeezed in behind me and let the door close with a loud dull thud that made me jump almost a foot off the ground. I spun around and hissed furiously at him. “Way to let everything in the place know we're here!”

“It was heavy.” He shrugged and surveyed the entrance hall. “He's not here.”

“We'd better search the dungeons.” I said while gesturing toward the door with my sword. “Quietly.” I added as we crept into the dank dark depths of the castles dubious insides. I could hear the rats scurrying along the walls...the rats....and something else.

“Did you hear that?” I whispered as we crept along. Radu just shook his head and kept going. The hair on the back of my neck began to stand on end and I stopped dead in my tracks. “Something is wrong.” I whispered. But Radu had already turned the corner.

I stayed where I was, ears straining to pick up any auditory hint of what was giving me goosebumps. There was nothing.

As I started slowly forward again, goosebumps still covering my arms, I heard Radu shout and the AK47 go off in a rattle of gunfire and sprinted toward the sounds with my sworded raised. The sight that met my eyes as I hurtled around the last corner made my heart drop. Radu was surrounded by a small herd of zombies, I could see the AK still gripped in his hands as he used it to try to fight them off, but it was no use. There were too many of them in the small confined space. All the gun was good for now was a club.

I hurtled forward and sliced the backs of several zombies knees with my sword. They fell away, leaving and opening for Radu to escape through, but I was too late. He emerged from the small nasty horde covered in bite marks, bits of flesh hanging off his face and arms, still clutching the AK, but his eyes were dead and vacant.

“Briiiiicks?” I asked hopefully as I started to back away.

“Braaaiiiins!” He bellowed as the rest of the group turned and parroted him. “BRRRAAAAAAIIIINNNSSS!!!!”

I turned to run only to be brought up short by another smaller group who had been hiding in an offshoot passage I hadn't had time to notice. “Brains!”

I whipped around again and, as the group surrounded me, I began to recognize faces. There was Smurf and Korrode. Kaddy, Vio, and BOO. Chris , Sonic, Shultz, and Newhope. Oh this wasn't good.

I slashed the air a few times with my sword as they slowly closed in. Oh man, this is it. This is how it's going to end. I thought to myself as I turned round and round trying to look at all of them at once. They were so close any one of them could reach out and grab me right now. What do I do? What do I do?!? My heart hammered in my chest, and my breath started coming in short gasps and involuntarily I started seeing images from my childhood flashing in front of my eyes.

Suddenly, inspiration struck. “HEY!” I shouted. “Look over there! It's a noob with Pro gear and no rosto in a PK zone!! And a bot with ONE!!”

The entire group, in one motion, with the same surprised grunt, all looked hopefully over in the direction I had pointed and I took my opportunity. Closing my eyes and holding my sword in both hands I turned a giant fast circle and felt my blade run them all through and heard them all drop to the floor as one.

Tentatively I peeked open one eye and looked around at the carnage. Every single one of them lay on the ground. Some were already gone, some I had to finish off. “I can't believe that worked.” I said to no one in particular as I pulled my blade out of Smurf's skull with a dull and wet scraping sound. It got stuck and I had to wrench it out by putting my foot on his forehead and pulling with all my strength. The killing of friends was far too commonplace an event in this 'new' world. And there was still more ahead.

I continued to slowly search the dungeon for Acelon, who was nowhere to be found. “Well this is just great!” I shouted and listened to the echo's bounce off the walls. Now what? I wondered as I made my way back out. Suddenly goosebumps started to rise on my arms again and I stopped and slowly looked around.

I was at the beginning of a corridor that dead ended into nothingness. Something tickled at the back of my mind and I walked all the way to the very end and examined the two torches that hung on the wall there. Did I remember hearing something about these torches somewhere? Maybe in one of the books I had studied in the Portland library at the start of this whole mess?

I squinted at the torch on the left. It looked like an ordinary torch. I reached out to take it down from the wall to examine closer and when I did the whole section of wall started to pivot in on itself and I was swept into a secret room and placed smack in front of Acelon, who was hiding there.

I looked at him and after a seconds shock, raised my sword, ready to put an end to all this ridiculousness.

“Wait!” Ace yelled as he threw up his arms in defense and I froze in mid slash.

“You're not....?” I started to question.

“Of course not!” he exclaimed as I lowered my sword.

“But everyone said...” I started again.

“Well everyone's an idiot!” He bent over double and started hacking and sneezing at the same time. “I'm sick! Not a fricken zombie!” he continued as he blew his nose on his sleeve. “Person can't get the sniffles in this world without everyone calling him a zombie and trying to cut his head off.”

After a lengthy and boring discussion about what we should do and where we should go, we ventured out into the dungeon again. I lead the way out, past the small pile of dead zombies with familiar faces and Ace paused over what had once been Radu. The AK47 was still gripped in his hands.

“Come on.” I said. “It's not him anymore.”

“I know.” Ace replied. “but it doesn't seem right leaving him like this.”

In the end, because I adamantly refused to haul Radu's zombified fanny out with us, we picked him up and placed him in one of the coffins that were scattered and stacked everywhere. We couldn't wrestle the gun from his cold dead hands so it went in too.

Right before we left I took my dagger from my boot and carved into the wood on the lid of the coffin. 'Don't ask questions.'

“Told you.” I said to him as I knocked on the lid and slipped the dagger away again.

Ace and I emerged into the sunshine and started out toward our next destination with great uncertainty. If Acelon wasn't the head zombie......who was?

***Hope you do at least one more of these next year Thyra. I can't wait to find out who the head zombie is!!

Edited by Nova