Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2coolfool

Crashes on Windows Vista

Hmm, been having a LOT of crashes on vista since i've gotten it. One of the situations seems reproducable, so i thought i'd post about it here and see if anything can be done about it.

Crashes while switching from a full screen game to EL window. As soon as i do the switch, EL is doomed to crash. Be it instantly, when i switch from console/normal view, or change map, it does crash about 99% of the time. The windows help message shows it as a HungApp error in el.exe, with some extra that i can post too if needed.

A C++ Runtime error dialog box also shows up, citing "abnormal program termination".

Another crash i've noticed (not reliably reproducable) is that EL seems to crash when i go AFK completely. If i'm not doing anything on the EL window, but on the pc, it doesn't seem to crash. But it's happened quite a few times now that i return from a full afk to find that the EL app is hung, and on these occasions the windows help message cites an error in opengl32.dll. From what i know this is most likely a problem with OpenGL not having full support in the nVidia drivers yet, but the C++ runtime error dialog box also shows..

I know vista's not fully supported by the dev team yet (read that somewhere on forums) but it'd be nice to get these bugs fixed(if possible). :confused:

System specs shouldn't be a prob, but I'll post em anyway:

Intel Quad Core CPU @ 2.4GHz

nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

2GB RAM

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit edition

i got no problemen here i use vista to

i think its your drivers :confused:

i use

Intel Quad Core 3.0ghz

Gefore 8800 GTX Ultra 2x SLI mode :)

4gb Ram

Vista ultiemate 32 bits

Could it be your screensaverr or powersaver mode kicking in (since it doesn't happen if you continue to use other app's)?

Possibly change your powersave options...

Or upgrade to Gentoo :happy:

I know vista's not fully supported by the dev team yet (read that somewhere on forums) but it'd be nice to get these bugs fixed(if possible). ;)

Yeah, its not supported purely because none of us have Vista systems to test on.

From what i know this is most likely a problem with OpenGL not having full support in the nVidia drivers yet, but the C++ runtime error dialog box also shows..
i got no problemen here i use vista to

i think its your drivers :happy:

From the sound of it, I would also suggest its an OpenGL problem. Changing screen res etc, also sounds like an OpenGL issue.

If the Vista drivers don't have a full OpenGL support yet, then you can try turning off some of the EL options (shaders and things). Also, try looking for newer Omega drivers (if they do them for Vista).

I originally had problems with programs not running on VISTA as well until I found that just prior to installing an existing program, if I right click on the installation exe file, I can tell VISTA that I want to run the program as if I had XP. (I believe it is in a "Compatability" tab in the pop up window that appears when you right-click on a file.)

still crashes with the compatibility on *sigh*

i have a feeling that the root of the problem is that openGL is implemented as a layer on top of DX, so when i run a DX app it causes problems leading to EL crashing :blush:

Which is exactly why you are supposed to get the proper video drivers for your video card, so that the OpenGL application would run natively.

uhm, i do have the latest drivers from nVidia.com :devlish:

AFAIK, the problem is that M$ tried to shun people using OpenGL by forcing it to be run as a layer on top of DX and not natively.. now the graphics card companies are trying to fix the issue by adding native support, but that takes time.. (imo)

AFAIK, the problem is that M$ tried to shun people using OpenGL by forcing it to be run as a layer on top of DX and not natively.. now the graphics card companies are trying to fix the issue by adding native support, but that takes time..

Eh???

Nvidia and AMD cards have always had hardware level OpenGL support. For Nvidia at least Geforce 2-4's were OpenGL 1.5 (with 2.0 emulation) and Geforce FX (5's) and up support 2.0 in hardware.

Microsoft do not force emulation of OpenGL over DirectX. There is only one company that I know of that provides drivers with that support (which I'm looking at for those with Intel cards), except they no-longer actively develop the drivers.