Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cicero

Map Editor Sanity Checks

The map editor needs to have more sanity checks for things like bad heightmaps, unreachable tiles, z-fighting, and such. This isn't exactly a to-do list, but just a general goal to be worked towards. Checks can be done on save, or have a separate method for checking a map for problems. Processing speed is not an issue, accuracy is of the most importance.

Learner added some stuff to the server to check to be sure that monsters will have a clear walking path when they spawn (so they don't end up in rocks) and he wants to add other similar checks. I think that it would be much more efficient if it was done at map generation time, to take the load off the server. There's nothing wrong with redundancy, but I think having the map editor automatically check for simple problems would slove a majority of map-related bugs.

I have a program somewhere to make unreachable tiles "black", if someone wants to merge it with the mapeditor, I can give it to you.

It works by doing a flood fill from every entrance to the map, and then make everything that isn't reached black.

The issues I would be having with the map editor would not be ones that could be simply asked in the Map making forum.

What I was trying to say, is that if you want people to comment on which improvements to the map-editor would be good, map-making is the forum to ask in. If you want to know if it can be done, this is the place.