Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Learner

Buddy List

Since the original discussions are missing about the Buddy List, I'd thought I'd start this thread to talk about how it can basically work, and then maybe the Client will be extended from there.

One question, there are 5 different 'types' the buddy list can handle, but they aren't defined anywhere. What are they? I can see online, offline, and waiting to be added.

This is just an outline of my thoughts

Adding:

1. You start adding someone to your Buddy List using #buddy <player> for a player currently playing

2. The Server verifies the person isn't already in your list (if they are, returns a warning message)

3. The Server adds the new name to your Buddy list

3. If that player doesn't have you on his list, the server sends a message to that player

4. The other player does #buddy <player>

5. Both players now have the other player on the buddy lists, and that is now active

Removing:

1. You send #unbuddy<player>

2. Your entry for your buddy is removed

3. If the other player is logged in, a message is sent that you have remove him from your list

(should your name be removed from his?)

When you log in:

1. All your buddies are check to see if they are on

2. All buddies you have are sent with information if they are on or not

When a buddy logs in/out:

1. Updates are sent to all his buddies that are online with the new status

For the 5 types I was thinking on: Friend, Enemy, Guild, Buyer, Seller. or something similar to this.

You will define it when adding the buddy: #buddy player type. ex: #buddy Sadez Enemy

The buddy list should be limited, or some players will end putting half EL on it. In the future this number could be different if you are p2p or not. Like 20 free 100 for p2p.

Also note that what I had outlines, you don't get that players status (online/offline) unless they also accept you as a Buddy. This helps prevent abuse of players using the buddy list to track if people are online who dont want to be their buddy. That also means that you can'y put someone one yout Enemy list unless they also put you on theirs.

And yes, there will be limits on F2P & P2P buddy list sizes. So, if you try to put someone on your list, and their list is full, it will never become a true Buddy since your name wont be added to their list.

Another reason for requiring both people to have the name added, is that way you don't have to process all players on line for buddy evaluation, only those on the persons list that just joined/exitted.

how about a gui as well as the # commands . I think that thigs like buddy lists, messaging and guild chats should have the option of a seperate window or somthing. Its a bit clunky to use at the moment but if you add even more commands and chat modes its going to be even worse for people joining to understand.

I figure once the buddy list is working, more GUI changes will probably take place. But when the definition isn't totally there for how it works, having a GUI doesn't help much.

fair enough, its just with people confused wih the difference between [user]: hello and user: hello i thought adding another layer of complexity might confuse them even more! I think your right though, it needs to work before you make it pretty.